-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good story - and good shooting. Good that is was only a porc, too.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

GB1

zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BCBrian
That reminds me of a funny story.

My buddy and I decided that due to the excessive number of very fresh grizzly tracks around - we'd put our supplies in the tent - and we'd sleep in the bed of the truck - underneath the canopy.

I told my bud, that I'd bring the old Remington 760 30-06 with 220 grain roundnose Corelocks into the cab in case we had an "event" in the night. In the night I awoke to the truck being shaken. I woke my buddy - then he felt it. I said "It's chewing on the truck!" We looked out and the tent appeared to be moving too. I said - "I think her cubs are in the tent."

I said "Here's the plan" - "We'll open the back lid of the canopy real quiet - then we'll lower the tail-gate - which will make a noise - and might provoke the sow to attack - so I'll leap out with the gun and the flashlight - and you stay out of the way so you don't get shot - if the mother bear attacks."

My buddy still likes to talk about the drama of the situation.He says he still chuckles as he sees me launch out of the truck in my underwear - flashilight and rifle in hand - then he hears me swear - then he hears a shot - then he hears me run off into the woods.

I didn't actually kill a sow that night. There were no cubs in our tent - that was the wind. When I jumped out - flashlight lit and rifle at my side - a porcupine shot out from under the truck - it had been chewing at parts under the truck - and the swearing, was me wondering if it had chewed through the brake-lines or something - the 220 grain round made short work of the porcupine - complete penetration.

Someday, when I get old and forgetful, the story might morph into us being attacked by a sow with cubs - and my killing it with one shot in the dark - but the truth is - it was only a damn porcupine! grin

Yup , the old porky comes to gnaw on your stuff. We had a porky chew up the brake hose's, fuel return line and the edge of the mudflaps one night, didn't notice anything until we moved the truck, soft brake pedal. A day later we saw a porky, the only one around, so I shot it and my wife gutted it to see what it was eating.... looked like french green beans ,only black with Ford motor company printing on the rubber. This was many years ago when there was no bag limit on them for one year.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Good'en Brian!! smile smile smile

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Yes Brian, I had a similar experience. I was living in Whitefish Montana, this was around 1978ish. My girl friend and I decided to go camping up by Kintla Lake in Glacier Park. It was only about 60 miles but the dirt road was terrible washboard so it took forever to get there. We pulled up to the lake, and there were grizzly tracks everywhere. Like it was a grizzly rave or something. So we didn't pitch a tent but slept in the back of the Jeep Wagoneer. It was a 1975 with a 360 V8. About 2 hours after we went to sleep (around 11 PM) the whole Jeep started shaking and there was growling outside so I woke up and turned on the lights. 30 minutes later the same thing, this time I put 4 rounds in the 270 (which I wasn't supposed to have with me) turned on the engine and beeped the horn. The third time the bear, which I never got a great look at, started trying to push the Jeep over, so I started it up and we drove about 10 miles away and slept on the side of the road. Later that week I spoke to a friend who was a ranger at Glacier and he laughed at me. He said, "You're a local you should know better! Where do you think we drop off all of the problem bears!"

smile

Chuck

Regards,

Chuck

"There's a saying in prize fighting, everyone's got a plan until they get hit"

Ghost And The Darkness

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by Puddle
Originally Posted by Josh Sorensen
They don't make too many varmint bullets in 375 caliber.

Nuthin' like the little 235 gr. Speers for an afternoon of plinkin'...

Yeah, I nearly decapitated two mule deer bucks with the 235s out of my .375. It has a 26" bbl, and according to the loading manual was pushing 2900 fps+.

I had decided to shoot them in the neck because I was not sure how much meat would be ruined. One buck (both were shot one after the other at the same time and place. My hunting buddy shot at his buck (it was a bachelor group) and hit it, but it did not go down. He could not see because the sun was on the horizon in our faces and he wore thick glasses. Anyway, he yells 'shoot the damned thing, I can't see it.'. So I did.

Upon examination, we discovered he had shot the balls off of his buck! No wonder he was walking funny!

Regards,

Regards,
Ben
IC B2

S
S
Originally Posted by buddydog
I use Nosler 300 grain partitions with IMR4350. Rifles are both Winchester Model 70's: a pre-64 and a classic stainless both with Leupold 1-5's and off the bench they shoot minute or angle or less at 100 yards. Partitions give plenty of penetration on both moose, elk and bear and stay together quite well. Most shots are under 200 yards and some really close. Rarely a need for any follow up shots if I so my part.

I, too, have been using IMR4350 but, have had two can go bad and called Hodgdon to confirm and was told to throw both cans away. I wish there was a stabler powder without this problem? Maybe Hodgdon4350?
Steve

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (007FJ, 1lesfox, 1234, 160user, 17CalFan, 1Longbow, 46 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,377
Posts18,488,498
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.