Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T

I've got hip holsters, but I've come to believe I need a shoulder holster for use when driving. Mostly for dealing with possible attempted car jackings. Something I can access without fumbling with the seatbelt.

Handgun for this application: S&W Model 36 (old school).

I live in Indiana. Like leather, but open to other ideas. Comfort is required for all-day wear and lack of temptation to take the thing off.

Inclined towards horizontal carry, but open to other ideas.

What do you guys like these days?

- Tom

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't like shoulder holsters so I will be of no help here. I carry cross draw when a lot of driving is on the agenda.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Bianchi is good, don't have the number here, but have carried an M9 alot with one. On the flip side, bad luck w/ DeSantis...the snaps wear and before you know it your gun drops. Bianchi is good.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If they still make them..I have a Assault Systems shoulder rig that is over 20 yrs old.Its the most comfortable thing Ive ever worn...just my .02...they may have to plant me in this one..

It must feel so good to be right all the time.....
Click "Ignore"..get rid of the whore..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's not a shoulder holster, but check the Carjacker CrossDraw from Andrews Leather. Easy on, easy off.

Andrews Leather

If you really want a shoulder the Galco Jackass rig is good and not outta sight, price-wise.

Galco Jackass

Cheaper is the Galco Classic Lite

Galco Classic Lite

MM

IC B2

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This can be a lively subject to bring up, but I can't like horizontal carry. The muzzle is constantly sweeping anyone behind you.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T LEE
I don't like shoulder holsters so I will be of no help here. I carry cross draw when a lot of driving is on the agenda.

Ditto on the crossdraw. I go with a pretty straight up/down RH high rise on my LH side.

Works well for me.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you're concerned about being jacked, a buddy of mine in New Orleans keeps a J frame in a a belt clip holster hanging from his steering column by a string. He can drop his hand naturally and swing that into action a lot quicker than any other type of carry you can think of. You can put the gun there when you get in the car and carry it conventionally when you get out.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by tjm10025

I've got hip holsters, but I've come to believe I need a shoulder holster for use when driving. Mostly for dealing with possible attempted car jackings. Something I can access without fumbling with the seatbelt.

Handgun for this application: S&W Model 36 (old school).

I live in Indiana. Like leather, but open to other ideas. Comfort is required for all-day wear and lack of temptation to take the thing off.

Inclined towards horizontal carry, but open to other ideas.

What do you guys like these days?

- Tom

Here is something to chew on....

When I first got sworn in on the job I asked for recommendations on how to carry guns on and off duty. I was fortunate enough to have some friends who were older and far more experienced. They were also not your average police officers, when it came to ability. They were A class to Grandmaster class shooters and completely switched on.

To a man, they said stay away from shoulder holsters. They told me that they would be uncomfortable to wear for 18+ hours at a time and would wear on you if you were carrying a gun that you would actually want in your hands during a scrape.

Then there was the issue of not being able to take off your suit coat or jacket in situations that it was appropriate to do so. As I recall one also mentioned that when wearing a shoulder holster with a decent sized gun, it would bunch up your shirt due to the straps pulling on it all the time and you would look like a bag of arse. To me, appearance is important when it comes to professionalism.

So, I immdeiately went out and bought a few different shoulder rigs to prove them wrong. In the end they were right. I eventually came full circle and ended up sticking with what they told me to go with in the first place for a primary gun, that being strong side carry, either in a Milt Sparks IWB rig or a high ride OWB such as the 55BN.

Now when it came to second guns, they all said the same thing, (once again, they were right) get an ankle rig. The ankle rigs are hard to draw from while standing upright and are not fast at all. They however have some distinct advantages. One is that while seated, such as behind the wheel they really come into their own.

Example: When seated behind the wheel if a person approaches your vehicle and you are unsure of their intentions, it is blatantly obvious if you lean forward and to your side to draw a gun from your strong side.

In that position an ankle rig is ideal, ( right hand shooter, left, inside leg carry) simply reach down and slide the pistol into your hand and keep it covered until you determine if the person is a threat or not. If they are not, you can slide it back into your ankle rig or exit the vehicle and slide it into a pocket if you choose. This can all be done unobtrusively.

This technique has worked very well for me. Twice in my career, I have ended up having to point my J frame at an individual at my car door and both times you could tell they were shocked at how fast I had the upper hand.

Every other time the people were simply wanting to chat, complain or advise me of something and I was able to put my J frame away without causing any undue alarm.

The other obvious advantage is that with an ankle rig, you can take your jacket or other covering garment off.

Personally, I rarely carry just a J frame. But everyone has their own set of circumstances. I also has Milt Sparks build me a pocket holster for a J frame and it has seen a lot of use as well, when wearing shorts or simply other situations where I do not want to ankle carry.

A shoulder holster seems like a lot of rig to just carry a J frame. Obviously it is up to you, but I figured I would just give you some food for thought.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T

Mackay:

Thanks for that thoughtful and experienced reply. I certainly am not of a mind to reinvent wheels, and I'm not so young that I would feel moved to repeat your youthful attempt to prove wrong everyone who went before me.

I will certainly rethink this whole thing before I jump in.

Thanks to all who responded.

- Tom

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've tried the shoulder holster route also, didn't like it. Even though it was balanced with weapon on one side and mag's on the other, it still didn't feel right.

Very true on the ankle holster and sitting in a veh. I wear either a 342 S&W or a G27 in an AH daily. Very quick and easy to draw from a seated position. Normally carry duty weapon in a hi-ride config.

There used to be a company in West Montana, called Mountain Leatherworks they made some of the finest duty and off duty leather holsters and other LE and non-LE leather gear. I wish they were still in business. I had them make a couple of holsters for me.

S
S
Try this guys chest holster. I've got one for my S&W mountain gun in .44 magnum. http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm
I got the butt down model and can wear it undetected under a heave sweatshirt. Easy access.
Steve

Last edited by steve8261948; 02/23/09.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, Amos63, 9 invisible), 1,554 guests, and 915 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,371
Posts18,488,328
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.