Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
DBT Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It looks like a great little cartridge, good BC, etc...I think CZ are chambering it in their 452, also Taurus. I may even get one in the CZ if the cartridge looks like getting established.
Anyone here interested in the 5mm rimfire now that ammo is available? smile

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
No disrespect, but I wasn't too interested the first time around - when I tried a then-new Rem 5mm, vs my .22WRM's.

The downside(s): Samey-same performance IMHO, more expensive, special cleaning rod, less general ammo availability & fewer choices in rifles.

The upside (1): It was NEW ! laugh

And then, it went away.........................until lately.

So, no thanks - I'll still stay with my .22WRM's.

It ain't no fun, when the rabbit's got the gun
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i'm interested...
haven't heard much....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by DBT
It looks like a great little cartridge, good BC, etc...I think CZ are chambering it in their 452, also Taurus. I may even get one in the CZ if the cartridge looks like getting established.
Anyone here interested in the 5mm rimfire now that ammo is available? smile

I have a Remington 592 (tube repeater). I had 25 rounds of the original Remington ammo left. The Centurion ammo breathed new life into a rifle that I had relegated to non-shooter status.

Unfortunately, my rifle sure did shoot better with the old stuff as compared to the new. I purchased 250 rounds of the Centurion ammunition. Burned a box for testing and fun and now have it zeroed at 75 yards. Wouldn't have any trouble busting a groundhog in the chest cavity out to 125 but after that - mine is just not accurate enough with the new ammo. The 200 rounds remaining will probably be a lifetime supply for me. I wish they had gone with the older heavier bullet and lowered the velocity. But, with most modern shooters speed is everthing. I have read several Rem 591 (box magazine version) reviews and they report good accuracy with the new ammo. So, maybe it's just my rifle - rimfires are finicky.

Don't hold your breath waiting on the CZ introduction. The rimfire forums (RFC, RFS, etc.) are full of rumors that CZ canned the 5mm idea due to technical issues and more importantly, the lousy economic environment.

Last edited by sheffieldshooter; 02/24/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've also got a 592. Accuracy is pretty dependent on the tightness of the screw that connects the stock to the barrel(not the receiver as in the 591). If you start with the screw pretty tight, shoot it, and decrease the tightness of the screw until you find the accuracy you want.

This may take some of your ammo stash, but it may well be worth it. Just the change in the bullet weight from the original to Centurion may require different pressure on the barrel. It did for me.

YMMV.

Steve

IC B2

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Thanks Steve. Sounds like a worthy and fun project. Good reason to open another box. Heck, I just noticed that Midway has the 5mm on sale. I may pick up another box or two.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I still have a Remington 591 (clip feed) rifle, and 8 boxes of original rimfire 5mm ammo.

May go ahead and shoot up the old ammo, now that new stuff is available.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
DBT Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sheffieldshooter

Don't hold your breath waiting on the CZ introduction. The rimfire forums (RFC, RFS, etc.) are full of rumors that CZ canned the 5mm idea due to technical issues and more importantly, the lousy economic environment.

Hmm, it doesn't look that hopeful, but you never know, the 5mm might get a bit of a following. I'll probably wait a while and see how it pans out. Thanks for the replies.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Friend of mine had one of the old DBM Remmy's a lot of years ago. Seems to me we were busting jack rabbits around 150 yards away pretty regularly. Nice little riflegun. 22Mag is likely more versaltile, though.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
the 591 is the rifle that i always wanted as a kid...

i just got off the phone with remington and the rep that i spoke with said that it all boils down to sales...
if enough people want it, they will build it... the rifle and the ammo...
he suggested an email campaign for those who want to see the 5mm rem in production again... info@remington.com

he also spoke of the deals with cz and savage...
both had plans to produce rifles chambered for the 5mm rem based on the pressures achieved with the new centurion ammo...
they both backed out because they felt that there was too much of the old rem ammo around, and their single lug actions would not withstand the greater chamber pressure of the old round.....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B3

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Originally Posted by johnw
he also spoke of the deals with cz and savage...
both had plans to produce rifles chambered for the 5mm rem based on the pressures achieved with the new centurion ammo...
they both backed out because they felt that there was too much of the old rem ammo around, and their single lug actions would not withstand the greater chamber pressure of the old round.....

Interesting. Surely if the Ruger 77/22 action can handle the .22 Hornet and the .44 Magnum it could live with even the old Remington stuff. I would estimate an eight shot rotary magazine - the 5mm cases are a little fatter than the .22 WMR/.17 HMR cases and they have 9 shot mags.

Last edited by sheffieldshooter; 02/25/09.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if any body on this thread has a 591 that they'd part with, click here... Really Want One!!!

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Surely if the Ruger 77/22 action can handle the .22 Hornet and the .44 Magnum it could live with even the old Remington stuff.

i don't know that ruger has even looked at the possibility...

i kinda doubt that a simple rebarrel would work... magazine issues....

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Friend of mine had one of the old DBM Remmy's a lot of years ago. Seems to me we were busting jack rabbits around 150 yards away pretty regularly. Nice little riflegun. 22Mag is likely more versaltile, though.

Keith, do you still have jacks up there? We were thick with them in NW Iowa until sometime around 1970 and then it was like they all packed up the kids and headed out. I don't know when I last saw one. Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by the_shootist

Keith, do you still have jacks up there? We were thick with them in NW Iowa until sometime around 1970 and then it was like they all packed up the kids and headed out. I don't know when I last saw one. Best, John

My step-dad talks about the early 70's and the number of Jacks up here (Brookings, SD) area. Said you could walk a shelter belt and see a 100+

Now we see one from time to time and I get a little pissed off when I hear about someone shooting one. Eat'em fine, but they just shoot them and let em lay.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IIRC, the 5mm was listed at 39k pressure, which is higher than the 22 hornet or the 44 mag.
RR

If your going through hell, keep on going, don't look back, If your scared don't show it.
You might get out b'fore the devil even knows your there.
(Rodney Atkins)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (35, 308ld, 14idaho, 3dtestify, 10gaugemag, 406_SBC, 12 invisible), 1,866 guests, and 818 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,728
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.