Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#28422 06/22/01
ebd10 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just curious, since this forum seems to have a greater population of "self-educated" people than most, what are your favorite books?<P>I'll start--<BR>1) The Bible, if you don't believe, it's still full of good advice on evrything, if you do believe, I shouldn't have to explain.<BR>2)"Lost Rights" by James Bovard. This one should be read in small doses, especially if you have high blood pressure already<BR>3)"Against All Hope" by Armando Valladares. An autobiography of Valladares' 22 years in Castro's Gulag. This one should be required reading in our schools!<BR>4)"The Old Man and The Boy" by Robert Ruark. EVERYONE should have a childhood this good.<BR>5)"Unintended Consequences" by John Ross. A gun owner's wet dream.<P>Anyone else?

The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary. --H. L. Mencken

www.oregonfirearms.org
GB1

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Everything by:<BR>Rudyard Kipling,& Robert Ruark. And the big book

"nullum gratuitum prandium"
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Right now I am reading through the Bible, currently just finished the book of Ezekiel and moving into Daniel.<BR> I am also reading Debt of Honor, by Tom Clancy. I am most of the way through it and it seems well worth reading for those who like reading action/suspense novels.

We may rise and fall, but in the end, we meet our fate together.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I read alot. Mostly American Civil War history, and study the Bible. I am about half way through Unintended Consequences right now and am also working on Micheners Chesapeake. (a must read for you, LMD)<P>I always enjoy reading Michener, but really can't say I have a favorite book. If I had to pick, I'd have to say The Civil War Narrative by Shelby Foote.<BR>7mmbuster

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

G
G
Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold is a must read for anyone that loves the out of doors.<P>Recent reads include A Hunters Road by Jim Fergus and his One Thousand White Women. The "Women" book is one somebody has to make a movie of. It's about trying to make a peace treaty on the northern plains in 1875 by trading 1000 white women to the cheyennes for 1000 indian ponies. This was true! You have to read the rest of the story. Wow!<P>Pony Tracks written and illustrated by Frederick Remington. No one other than maybe Charlie Russell could paint horses and the west better than Remington. Reprinted by University of Oklahoma Press.<P>Brag Dog and Other Stories, The Best of Vereen Bell. Wilderness Adventures Press has published a beautiful slip-cased book of Bell's best "dog" stories. What a shame the man didn't live longer. He was killed in WW2, but in his short writing Bell wrote about bird dogs, field trials, the South and it's traditions, and living.......<P>I enjoy hearing what others are reading. Please keep this post going.<P>regards,<P>Bill Brink (Gunner)

IC B2

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
well i do not read much but when i do only one author satisfy's me and that is stephen king well i also read books about organized crime. [img]images/icons/cool.gif" border="0[/img]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (7mm_Loco, 35, Allen Martin, 300_savage, batch, 8 invisible), 1,720 guests, and 1,015 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,477
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.