Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
May get a chance to Moose hunt with my cousin.

Anyone know regs?

Thanks.

GB1

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Yes by golly, when you are here you enjoy the same status as a resident. You may NOT posess a concealed firearm if you are dis-qualified to own a firearm OR while committing a crime.

Lawful possession (even if concealed) is now the law in Alaska, (even for visitors), so long as you are of age and not dis-quallified by those items that are outlined in the 4473 form.(purchase from a dealer)

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
You can shoot a moose with a revolver of sufficient caliber per regs.

Whether you can recover him afterward is an altogether different factor.

From personal experience over 40 years, I have come to favor large caliber rifles, and CNS shots, being more interested in meat than "fun" - but that's just me. To each his own. (This does not exclude my own personal occaisional foray into light weights...... but I pick my shot.)

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I am looking at a 41 mag, possibly a 45 colt. The 41 would likely be w/a 275 w/heavy load. I am confident it will do the job, my cousin has killed many and says double lung broadside is the ticket.

Thanks all.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
No conflict, a stick with a little knife blade and feathers on the other end kills a few moose every year...Enjoy your stay 65!

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
IC B2

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I hear you, I would agree a bow is fine on Moose, but I would feel more confident with a handgun.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by 65BR
I am looking at a 41 mag, possibly a 45 colt. The 41 would likely be w/a 275 w/heavy load. I am confident it will do the job, my cousin has killed many and says double lung broadside is the ticket.

Probably so, but bring your hiking boots....

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Assuming that you'll be pursuing old Alces when he is most approachable and inclined to be easily poked with a wheelgun, you might put at least as much effort into selecting undergarments as you do footwear. When those old boys aren't afraid, they really aren't afraid and all bets are off on what they'll do before they tip over. As many people like to say, killing moose is easy, it's getting them to fall down that can be a challenge. There is no reason that a hard, heavy bullet even in a 41 won't do all the killing any moose can stand. (There is a great thread elsewhere here in the Alaska section of a fellow who got his moose with a 45 Colt this past fall. It's worth a look.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
May get a chance to Moose hunt with my cousin.

Anyone know regs?

Thanks.

You can bring a revolver to Alaska...but you have to pay extra if you're bringing it from Conus...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
K, I read on another site about a fellow who took his with a 45LC, heavy loads, hit 4x in quick succession, watched alot of video footage of several moose kills last night and they do withstand ALOT of lead impact prior to falling no doubt.

Paying extra Dennis......any idea what that is?

Thanks.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The 44 Mag with a good 300 gr Keith type bullet with 2400 would be all you need if you can shoot. This would also be a great hunt to use the 500 Smith on.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Paying extra Dennis......any idea what that is?

I've heard it always costs more to get guns to Alaska from CONUS, even if shipping is free within CONUS...

Dennis

"The more you run over a dead cat, the flatter it gets."

"If you're asking me something technical, you may be looking for My Other Brother Darrell."

"It ain't foot-pounds that kills stuff -- it's broken body parts."
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you're flying then observe the same procedures that you would for a long gun. But if you're driving through Canada, don't take a handgun. They are illegal in Canada.

It's not that hard to kill a moose, but it can take them a while to realize that they dead and they can do lots of damage while coming to that understanding.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
65BR,

I've shot 8 Alaskan bull moose with a revolver. For four of them, I used a 41 magnum with 220 gr. Speer SP bullets. The 41 mag is my favorite. One took 2 shots, two required 3, and one 4. Put that first shot in the chest and the bull will usually pause from the impact. Keep working that hammer and trigger until they hit the turf. I've only had one trot away and it was something to watch him suddenly hit the ground with a thud with all four hoooves straight up in the air.

I've never seen any one actually harvest a moose with a handgun unless it was the ONLY firearm that they brought with them. The rifle is just too tempting. The revolver forces you to sneak in close. Much more exciting when you can smell them and make eye contact before you release a slug. Watch out for any cows accompanying the bull. They sometimes just stand there close by after the male is down. I was even charged once. They're big, dumb, and can hurt you. Reload quickly and be aware.

Good luck on your hunt.

65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks much for the advice. I agree, shoot till they fall. I recently watched video of my cousin hitting some 2-3x with a 300 Winnie and the just soak it up and stand there, later tipping over. I was thinking how in stark contrast a Whitetail hauls azz when a shot is fired....Moose often just stand there.....as if dumb....or not scared to succumb to the inevitable death when they are dead on their feet and have not realized it yet.

If/When I can get to AK, I will plan to bring both rifle and handgun, and may try getting set up early in the hunt to fill my tag with a handgun.....and if I get down to the wire, use the rifle. I agree with the excitement factor.....but we do have to watch our hide when hunting game that I understand are very dangerous if one charges....so I self preservation will be ever conscious!

I'll also keep a watch for an angry female wink Lol.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (270wsmnutt, 160user, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 257Bob, 58 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,364
Posts18,527,270
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.