Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Took this Boar yesterday at 25 yards with the Excaliber Crossbow. Initially he was out of range, but I made a few snorts (corsely inhaling through the nose-no... I really don't know what I was doing... But it worked) and he turned and started heading my way. Shot hit lower part of front, left shoulder as he quartered towards me. He took off and ran towards the top of the ridge. I immediately got down to start tracking as light was getting low. I followed a slight blood trail about 125 yards, up and over the crest of the ridge and found him piled up like a sack of potatoes. When dressing him out, I found the broken off shaft stuck through the near shoulder, then passed through the heart and lodged in the far shoulder. Then came the hour long drag back to the truck. He dressed out at 170lbs so I'm guessing live weight might have been somewhere around 200-220. This is my third wild hog with the crossbow and my largest to date. Nice way to end the Alabama hunting season.
[img]http://[IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/pillpeddler/DSC00978.jpg[/img][/img] [img]http://[IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/pillpeddler/DSC00977.jpg[/img][/img] [img]http://[IMG]http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j110/pillpeddler/DSC00974.jpg[/img][/img]

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good shot. Thanks for sharing.

stumpy

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Wow and congratulations!!!
Very nice job and I'll bet he makes some good bacon!

Also,
That boar needed some tooth paste. LOL.

Phil
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Do you use aluminum or carbon fiber bolts????

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Nice

]
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Huntz
Do you use aluminum or carbon fiber bolts????

Carbon bolts...They seem to be more durable. I don't have to worry about bending them. I've taken 3 hogs and 8 deer and missed a few others and haven't used over a dozen arrows in 3 years.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sweet! My state just opened up to Crossbow to all IIRC, in past just handicap and Seniors.

What ranges are they effective...in your experience? What about accuracy? Thanks.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Good job..they are awesome animals aren't they...wish we did not have so many of them here in Tx...just about to take over the entire state...they are considering allowing folks to shoot them from planes now...already there is no season and you can kill them day or night...they are out of hand here.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nice pig,great job!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
when's dinner ?? wink

[Linked Image]

www.raginblaze.com - Cajun Seasoning with a Southwest Flare

Low sodium, No MSG, infused with smoked chipotle peppers

other seasonings/mixes: taco, chili, fajita, jerky, sausage seasoning, seafood boil, N.O. style coffee & chicory, beignet mix.....
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Wild Man! Cochon De Lait ?

Found this:

http://74.125.113.132/search?q=cache:ESLexFiZ2D0J:www.gumbopages.com/food/cochon-de-lait.html+pig+roast+cajun&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=4&gl=us

Seen flying squirrels but not pigs... That thing looks like he can fly! Now I see what you plan to do with the piggies from my friend's 'Ranch' up here smile

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
"What ranges are they effective...in your experience? What about accuracy? Thanks."
I shoot several, the fastest is 355 fps, the others 310 and 325 fps. They have about the same effective range as a modern vertical bow.(A vertical bow was just announced that does 400 fps.) That's because their arrows are so much shorter, therefore, have much lower ballistic coefficient (ability to glide.
Accuracy really depends on the individual and the gear used.
The stock helps to steady the shot, still have to pull the trigger. Unfortunately most triggers are rather simple in design and take more pressure than a good bow release. FOC needs to be much higher for crossbow arrows (they are not 'bolts'...that's what the crusaders got shot at with...short pieces of metal w/o feathers). I use a 405 gr, 20" arrow with 110 gr brass insert and 2" Blazers for vanes. It's FOC is more than 18%. Four-bladed smallish broadheads, like Slick Tricks, seem to fly best. Larger broadheads, like original Thunderheads tend to plane.
And they are noisy; not only the shot but getting it cocked again. Most cannot be re-cocked in a tree stand. They are cocked on the ground, hauled up w/o an arrow. If you shoot, have to climb back down to re cock as they are generally to wide or cumbersome to do it in the tree. No way will you get a second shot if you miss (I have, several times).
I'm not complaining, however, at 69 and with 2 bad wings, I'm able to be back in the game. Generally speaking,however, they may be no more advantageous for hunting (if any) than an archer who is proficient with a vert.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That is a good hog with any type of weapon

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cossack2, thanks, not sure what FOC means, may have missed it. I know next to nothing about archery.....now slingshots....I killed ALOT of birds and squirrels in my youth and was darned good, instinct shooting to 30-35 yds or so. I'd love to tranfer that hand/eye coordination to a bow...I need to dust off my old pro-line compound...no sights.....or really a longbow I bought....awaiting arrows from my brother.......someday....

Been too busy w/rifles and wanting to get more hunts in with handguns again, and with a bow, and considered a crossbow.

Bea, correct, nice trophy.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
65BR
FOC means (front of center) Google it for info. Basically, it has to do with arrow balance. Crossbow arrows require more weight toward the front of the projectile to fly consistently because they're much shorter than other arrows.
As a result, their ballistic coefficient is much lower preventing from 'gliding' as well.
I know what you mean about being busy with toys. Sighted in a new scope on one of the bows yesterday and installed some lighted nocks on it's hunting arrow. Next project is to get my 6/284 coyote rifle sighted in and do some calling before fawns start to drop hereabouts.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ahhhh, Cossack, thanks, I understand FOC after your explanation, thanks. Have you looked by chance at the 6mm on the 6.5/47 Lapua case? The 6/284 is said to be hell for a laser beam trajectory, albeit SHORTENED bbl life, but if you are after LONG range shots, the cat's meow perhaps. The Guys at Hart talked to me on my inquiring on cartridges once, very flat, though again hard on bbls. No free lunch, but a good 6mm of any kind is often darned accurate. My last custom, a 6mm BR was on a Stiller, using a Bartlein, 5-shot groups routinely showed 3 in 1/4" at 200 yds using 68s AND 105s w/a 4-14 Mk4, I was ....content smile

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well done. Congrats. What county were you hunting in?

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Have you looked by chance at the 6mm on the 6.5/47 Lapua case?
Yes I have BR, in fact it was recently featured in Rifle Shooter. Looks like a great combination for up to 1000 yrd shots, while low on recoil and easy on barrels.Also playing with a fast twist 6 TCU in rifle configuration. But a 6.5 of some sort, with 1-75 or 8 twist is definitely on my radar.

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by biglmbass
Well done. Congrats. What county were you hunting in?

Shelby... Not too far south of B'ham.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Cossack,
They are sweet, a TCU/fast twist, nice, had a 12" in a 21" bullberry carbine set up, virtually no recoil or blast, about as pleasant as a 222 but you knew you were slinging a good bit more lead.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (338reddog, 2ndwind, 257_X_50, 35WhelenNut, 300_savage, 308xray, 25 invisible), 1,649 guests, and 954 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,367
Posts18,488,280
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.