Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Can only speak about there effectives on mosquitoes, they just flat out work.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
GB1

S
S
Just bought one last summer and have only tried it on the front porch at night but, works great there?
Steve

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They work good on a bear bait, I wont sit the stand aymore without em. Sure beats the crap out of the DEET headaches I used to deal with throughout spring bear baiting!

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
OK- I've a couple moose stands to try them on, then....

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
+1 on them working great for bear baiting. This will be my third spring using the therma cell. Good stuff.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And the other option is?

Parka

When they came out with the electronic ones in the early 70's, they just did not work. Glad to hear they work now. The above link is a solution that works and does not need the batteries changed.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
R
R
Best money you have ever spent..

Left mine with my Alberta guide as a tip with 14 refills.

Bought another at Wally world on sale for $19.00

Rustystud

Nathaniel G. Lambeth, Sr.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Same thoughts here--used them bear baiting, camping, grilling on the back deck, and even spread them around during our outdoor wedding this past summer. Although lost one of mine after the wedding--so need to get a couple more this year. We also use them on overnight floats in the drift boat on the Kenai. Not bad when floating, but we anchor up for a nap or a snack, the bugs are on you in a hurry.

If you use one often, buy the refill bottles in bulk if you can find them.

Will

Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
I got a couple of Conair model tc-4c butane cartridges made by thermacell for a curling iron.

They look right but I can't confirm that the fit the unit before I open the package.

Does anyone know if it is compatible?

Last edited by shedder; 07/12/09.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Apparently Wyoming has different mosquitos. What a disappointment the thermacell was for me. I bought one partly because of what I heard about them. First it took about an hour to light the thing. Then it didn't work. Could actually see the mosquitos flying all around it.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Apparently Wyoming has different mosquitos. What a disappointment the thermacell was for me. I bought one partly because of what I heard about them. First it took about an hour to light the thing. Then it didn't work. Could actually see the mosquitos flying all around it.

Hmmm, I'd give them a call. Mine has never failed to light off by the third rapid click of the button. Can't say how it would work in the wind I've encountered in WY but it works great here.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
We wear ours on a gold chain around our neck in Michigan...

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Originally Posted by shedder
I got a couple of Conair model tc-4c butane cartridges made by thermacell for a curling iron.

They look right but I can't confirm that the fit the unit before I open the package.

Does anyone know if it is compatible?

Update : It is.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Ralphie
Sounds like you got a bad one. Mine worked like a charm last week fishing the middle fork of the Gulkana.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I used one on duck hunts the last 3 years I was living in AK and was never bothered by mosquitos when that thing was on.

Ost Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I know it claims to be scent free, but I can smell it. So, does the odor offend the game, particularly deer? (still hunting ground level)

I hate escalators. I slipped and fell down the steps for an hour and a half.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by Ost
I know it claims to be scent free, but I can smell it. So, does the odor offend the game, particularly deer? (still hunting ground level)

They make scent-free wafers to use with Thermacell units while hunting. The regular wafers will put out a scent.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I've Never Had The smell Bother One.And I've used Them for the 6-7 Years. Had as Many As 11 Deer Under me.

Last edited by Mull; 07/20/09.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For those who venture "off road" in Alaska, I'm betting the butane part of the system is HAZ-MAT, making it "somewhat" pricey. (Probably why we've not seen them out in these parts next to the $29/gallon Blazo (Coleman) fuel.) A lot of PIC gets sold and used out here. I suppose much of the time in violation of Federal regulations too, but they do keep bugs out of tents and dwellings while you sleep.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The Conair CA245 will fit with an adapter. Thermacell claims they will plug up the filter, but I think a lot of them get used for that.

Mine quit igniting so I sent it back and they cleaned the filter. I only used a little bit out of the Conairs. It didn't work when I got it back. They replaced it.

Last edited by ba_50; 07/21/09.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 57 invisible), 2,267 guests, and 1,250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,261
Posts18,486,431
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.