-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, the Oregon Spring-Bear draw results are out and it looks like the Portland area All-Star Yogi-team of Spike, 8-ball, Sheister, Sheisters-son Joe and yours-truly are bound for a NE Ory-gun Yogi hunt in May. We�ll be traveling independently, but our hunt area and times will overlap to some extent. Since over-the-counter tags (for residents) are available for Cougars and Turkeys at the same, it�s the kind of hunt where you bring along a 12ga, a .22LR, a varmint rifle and your favorite Bear fire-stick. My goal this year, is to get the skunk off the Sheister-man and get a picture of him, sitting beside his first Monster Bruin.

Sure wish I had a video of the wounded-coyote, that sank his teeth into Bob�s boot and made him �dance�, last time we hunted together over there .... or the Rattlesnake that Bob/Spike blasted ... at point blank range, with their .338 + .375 H-H rounds !!

In the past few years our Bear trips have accounted for spotting a wide variety of Mammals, Predators, Varmints and Birds-o-Prey ... including:
Rocky Mountain Elk, Mule Deer and Whitetail Deer, Bighorn Sheep, Black Bears, Moose, Cougars, Porcupine, Turkeys, Golden and Bald Eagles, plus an albino Red-tailed Hawk

We have also been moderately successful .... Dirt-napping:

147+ - Whistle pigs
6 - Coyotes
3 - Turkeys
18 - Wascally-Wabbits
45 - Ticks
17 - field mice (Victor-traps, set in the tent)
2 - Cougars
1 - 85lb �Coyote� ( Where�d that shovel go?)
8 - Cords of Tamarack
2 - Rattlesnakes (5ft + 6ft)

Oh yeah ... ! !
and 4-Yogis (2-Chocloate Brown, 1-Cinnamon, 1-Dirty Blonde)

The current snow level reports (via remote sensors) at 4,500 ft in the Blues, are 62 inches, so we�re looking for a warm-up and a mid to late May hunt.

... Silver Bullet

I started out with �nothin� ....
and I still have most-of-it !

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sounds like a good time! I might be in NE Oregon in Mid-May for some ground squirrel shooting.

Have fun, and tell 8ball hello for me. Get a pic of him handfeeding some grain to the mule deer he plans to "hunt" in the fall.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Very cool Silver Bullet!

Wish I could have made it up to the Sportsman's Show this year, but I just couldn't get anyone to rally and a RE deal I had going heated up. Last time I saw you, you had a ginormous elk rack in tow!

I bought a SW Oregon spring bear tag. We'll see if it gets me out in the woods. In April, I'm still in ski bum mode <g>....

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Silver Bullet-sounds like a good time in the making, at least for you guys...

Some day I'd like to hunt bruins...<g>

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Dober -

The problem with hunting bears is you gotta do something with the ones you get. There's nothing about bears I want. Didn't like the bear meat I've tried very much. Don't really have a use for a rug. I buy a tag as an "eraser." I think until I figure out a way to shoot 'n' release, I'll pass on the serious bear hunting.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Hoping that trip results in a typical SB story!

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Mark,

You are not forgotten and are definitely on-the-list ... but these Spring-Bear tags are not over-the-counter. They are a controlled-hunt (requires preference points) and ODFW throws a further monkey-wrench in the mix, by limiting the mumber of Non-Res tags to 3 percent of the total. With just a couple hundred tags available in our hunt unit ... that means only 6 N-R tags are allowed there, per year.

In fact, due to a mental-lapse last year ... as a party of all "Residents" ... we didn't even draw Spring Bear tags.

But never fear ... I have a (shhhhhh! - "Secret") plan in place and have been acquiring Yogi preference-points, that you will be able to use and hunt with us, in the future.

... Silver Bullet

Time Magazines "2006 - Man of the year."

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Wow. Hopefully you guys put the hurtin' on some bears!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mark R Dobrenski

Some day I'd like to hunt bruins...<g>

Dober

Me too Dober... maybe we will get our chance one day... wink
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
One of the funniest stories I've read here at the Fire while on
this Spring bear hunt.

From Sheister's own pen.

"The first thing that came to mind was that the coyote would have chance to catch me on the ground and make his revenge whole by making a eunuch out of me."

Revenge of the Coyote

Hunting is always an enjoyable time for me, more so when I can share it with friends and great hunting buddies. One of those buddies is our very own Silver Bullet. Sharing a camp with him is an adventure in wilderness camping, and I mean adventure in a good way. A nice camp spot is always guaranteed, the tent is huge and comfortable, and the food is better than I eat at home most of the time. He even has the nicest outhouse set up I�ve ever had the pleasure to use in the woods.
There is always the gorgeous Oregon mountain scenery and forest that seem to be teeming with wildlife at every turn. This week alone we saw Turkeys, Elk, Mule Deer, White tail deer, yellow bellied marmots, Moose sign (but no moose), coyotes, grouse, and other birds too numerous to mention. About the only thing we didn�t see was the one thing we were hunting- bears. They seemed to be hiding in all the right places because we sure couldn�t find one within range of our feet or rifles. The only one spotted was by SB at the short range of about 1 � miles or more high in a meadow across a raging, snow-melt swollen river and up and down a couple of very large mountains.
In conditions like this you have to find adventure where you can. Well, at least I call it adventure- my son thinks I�m trying to get an honorable mention in the Darwin awards. I hate to admit he just might be right!

Here�s my story- no details were left out to protect the innocent.

Saturday, we had been hiking all day in snow drifts and down old logging roads choked with blowdowns and overgrown willows. By time we got back early in the afternoon we were beat and needed an easy hunt for the afternoon to rest our legs a bit.
My son and I decided to try a large meadow that SB had told us about. It was his �secret, guaranteed spot� that he had seen bears on a regular basis. However, 2 visits to this spot hadn�t produced a bear yet. The meadow looked perfect- a long, grassy field tucked away between strips of pines, spruce, and firs that was out of sight of the road but a very short walk from our parking spot. As the grassy field wrapped around in a semi circle to the South, the view to the North over the edge of the field was of a huge canyon called the �Big Hole� for obvious reasons. If you wished you could simply sit for hours glassing the surrounding canyons from the edge of the meadow.
The meadow is loaded with new grown grasses and several large areas of skunk cabbage growing amazingly fast and green. The perfect lunch table for a hungry Yogi out looking to fatten up after a long winter. These were the places we had intended on concentrating our efforts by spreading out a bit and sitting in a shaded place of concealment to wait for the bears to come to dinner.

We were half way to our hiding places and sneaking as quietly as we could, glassing ahead as we went so as not to disturb any bears already in place. As we approached the first of our stands, my son was checking ahead and asked, �dad, what is that over in the meadow?�
Since he had forgotten his binos in the truck, I lifted my Leupolds from my chest and looked across the field. Right out in the open was a coyote doing some mousing and hadn�t seen us at all. In fact, we had time to sit down on the edge of the trees right out in the open, open the bipod on the Winchester Model 70 338, and turn the ring on the Bausch & Lomb Elite scope up to the max range of 10 power. After checking out the coyote for a minute or two my son says �take the shot anytime you want, Dad, I�ll back you up�.

While I never pass up a chance to take the first shot at a coyote, the �I�ll back you up� was in the back of my mind. I didn�t know how accurate that statement would turn out to be.

Now, sitting with a bipod isn�t always my steadiest shooting position. And at a relatively small target at somewhere over 225 yards and tired and winded from my walk to this position only seemed to reduce my usually steady shot picture. Trying to steady myself the best I could, I start to squeeze the trigger. At the trigger break, I am disappointed to see that my crosshairs are about 3-4 inches back of the point I wanted the 225 grain Nosler to take the coyote in the chest.

At the shot, the coyote immediately started to spin around in circles. Blood was evident everywhere on both sides of the varmint as he was spinning. With all the blood evident, I assumed the coyote would be dead within a few moments so I held off shooting again. My son, however, doesn�t like to see any animal suffer so he let go with his 300 H&H AI trying to stop the coyote from dieing from dizziness. The first shot at the spinning coyote was off a bit as the coyote was bouncing around like something in a pin ball machine. The second shot from his Pre 64 Model 70 was on target, however, and the coyote obliged by falling down.

We walked over to see what damage had been done just as SB called on the radio to see what all the ruckus had been about. I had forgotten he was just up the road with his varmint caller set up and was in easy ear shot of our shooting. A short report that the world was a safer place for coyote-hating people everywhere and we were at the coyote�s side and checking him (?) out.

My son, always wanting to do some more shooting, says �dad, I think we should put him out of his misery, it looks like he�s still breathing�.

I, in all the adult wisdom I can muster at the moment, reply �no, Joe, that is just the coyote dying. Those are just involuntary muscle reactions as he is dying�. Well, it sounded good at the moment.

After a few moments, Joe still pointing out how the chest was slowly going up and down, I wanted to check out the unbelievable damage the 225 Nosler partitions had done to this varmint. I had used varmint rounds that hadn�t done anywhere near the damage this bullet had done to this animal. It was beyond my comprehension that this coyote was still breathing with his entrails laying everywhere on the ground, let out by the huge hole in both sides where the bullet had hit him just in the rear of the rib cage. Later, we found that my son�s second shot had hit him perfectly in the shoulder and out through the other side in front of the other shoulder, pushing out a 4� length of the critter�s esophagus. With all this evidence, I had to assume this coyote was dead or very near it at the least. Boy, did that turn out to be wrong!

Standing next to the coyote and using my foot, I lifted the coyote�s front leg, hoping to see how far the damage extended from the bullet strike. My son said something about the coyote giving my foot some resistance with his foot. I guess my aged brain just didn�t resolve this �new� information in a timely fashion for some reason.
In the half second it took to register in my brain that maybe my son�s admonishments might have some merit the coyote decided he was getting tired of this crap and decided to do something about it. In a blink, the coyote�s head, which had been twisted around in an awkward position about 180 degrees from where it seemed it should have been- snapped around, teeth bared and looking for something to sink into. Revenge was in his eyes and I was the closest target.

In that instant I realized I had made a couple big mistakes and what I did in the next millisecond was going to determine if I was going to be injured severely by a very pissed off coyote, or just simply walk away with stained shorts with my son watching. In some weird way in that few milliseconds I had I remember wondering which would be worse?

The only thing I could think was to stick my size 10 Danner in the coyote�s face to keep him away long enough for me to make a semi-graceful exit and get a little distance. The coyote�s teeth immediately grabbed the first thing he could, my boot, and the tug of war was on! I�m sure the surprise and terror on my face was evident to my son but at the moment I was slightly occupied and couldn�t be concerned about it. I was just hoping my son woulnd�t try to shoot this animal off my foot- I really liked that foot and wanted to take it home with me. Bullets and mad coyotes seemed to be making that seem likely not to happen.

So, I did the only thing I could do- I hollered in unadulterated surprise and fear and tried to shake the coyote off my foot. Even with all this going on, I kept thinking how comical this must have looked to anyone who was close enough to see. Luckily, my audience was pretty small. I was hopping on my unoccupied left foot and shaking the coyote with all my might trying to get it to let go of the right foot. I seem to remember some �unkind� words being said but worrying about my 29 year old son learning some new cuss words wasn�t really at the top of my worry list at the moment.

After about 20-30 feet of backpedaling I finally lost my balance, since the coyote didn�t seem to want to cooperate in that regard. I fell heavily backwards, my daypack spreading it�s contents all across the pristine meadow. The first thing that came to mind was that the coyote would have chance to catch me on the ground and make his revenge whole by making a eunuch out of me. The thought of my now useless family jewels being spread out among the new wildflowers caused me some distress. My first instinct was to cover my family jewels, but I didn�t have the time before the coyote suddenly let go of his death grip on my boot and took off �running�. How this coyote could run in his condition was simply amazing to me and a testament to how tough these critters are. I was quickly getting up in case he came back for more body parts when I saw my son aim his Winchester from the hip and fire one shot, hitting the coyote perfectly from the rear from about 30 feet. The bullet went in near his tail and came out at his lower left jaw. Lights out for one coyote, finally.

I looked around, trying like hell to regain my composure in front of my son but realizing it was probably way too late for all that. My son would just have to live with the memory of his father�s stupidity and the picture of him fighting off a half dead coyote. It drives him crazy that I simply see it as another adventure that didn�t cost anyone any body parts of major injury or loss of blood so all is good in my world. He worries almost as bad as his mother!

Looking around some more, there was blood everywhere! I guess my flinging of the coyote was more energetic than I thought as there was blood on Joe, me, our rifle, our clothes, my pack, and all over the ground in the immediate vicinity. Looking at my boot, the rubber sides of my sole had a couple holes at least �� deep that I could see and the sides of the leather had marks where the teeth had tried to go through unsuccessfully. Thank God for good boots. I was also glad I had changed into boots that day instead of the light shoes I was wearing the day before. If I hadn�t I am quite sure I would have spent some time in the emergency room at the hospital 1 � -2 hours away.

Now that things have calmed down a bit I realize how lucky I had been. I keep telling my son this is one of the many stories he can tell my grandkids someday. You know, telling a kid about all the stupid things grand dad did is a good way of teaching what NOT to do, right?

So, how was your weekend?

Bob

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironbender
Hoping that trip results in a typical SB story!

++1++

Campfire Pistolero x2

Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else. -Ambassador Delenn, Babylon 5
R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
I hope you have a great hunt. I hunted the West Blue Mtns area for spring bear last year in Oregon and had a blast. My buddy and I both got bears but his dad did not. We do not have as much snow as last year so you should be able to get most places I would think by early to mid May. Rufous.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hi Rufous,
Congrats on putting a double-crimp on the Yogi population last year. I've considered that hunt, since I've seen some dandy Bears there during the late Elk Seasons, but it takes 3+ preference points to draw it ??

Are you hunting the Mt-E. Unit and going in from the Pendleton side ? About what elevation are you able to reach via 4WD (on an average snow-year) by mid May ? We can barely reach 4500ft by mid May in the Wenaha.

I was curious if it was possible to get up toward Black Mountain, by late May.

Also, are the Spring-bears fighting to get on top as soon as the snow melts ... or perfectly happy to feed down low on the steep canyon walls and stay out of sight?

... Silver Bullet

A Trillion here ... a Trillion there ... Pretty soon, you're talking real-money !

R
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
R
Silver Bullet, I mainly hunted Government Mtn in the Walla Walla unit on private property near home here in Walla Walla. We also hunted some near Harris Park which is east of Milton Freewater. We hunted basically south of the park up to Lincton Mtn Road but we were a bit west of the park before climbing the hill to the south. We also accessed that area from the top. I am looking at similar elevation issues in my areas. Lots of road can be free of snow but go around a corner that is nearly always in the shade and it can still be drifted over until the end of May. Last year each week we were able to drive up the hill a bit further, reducing our hike into the main property we hunted.

I hiked up onto Bobsled Ridge from Thomas Creek last year. I doubt that one could access Black Mtn in May but maybe.

Bears are where you find them. Some are out low and some are out higher. One of our first hunts last spring was on Grouse Mtn, which is just a bit north of Black Mtn and Bobsled Ridge. We were up at 4100' in the snow and there were fresh bear tracks. That was in April. We also saw other bears up in the snow in April and early May. But by mid May they should be out in the open more feeding on the south slopes as you know. Just come over later in May and see what you can access.

Feel free to contact me when it gets closer and I can give you some idea as to the snow/road situation. Rufous.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Rufous. Interesting post. Sent you a PM.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
SB,
Well, if nothing else we'll probably have the bears outnumbered by rifles and hunters. Hopefully, I'll be as lucky as you and have a big kitty wander by while minding my own business sitting in a lawn chair.....;)

Hoping we see more bear sign than last time, for sure. Also hoping I get a bear before my son does. He's been kicking my butt in the elk hunting department lately and I need to get a few points built up so he doesn't give up on me. smile

Should be a great time. After the weather the last couple days I'm starting to wonder when we'll be able to get into our hunting areas?

Bob

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So, I haven't been on here in about a year. Big Brother at work has had me shut down. So what is the first thing I see, but a Washingtonoid (Waders) displaying the audacity I've come to expect about "tame" mule deer. Wade, Wade, Wade, when I win the lottery I'll take you on a guided muley hunt. Then you'll see the killers these things really are. We don't use Kevlar tents for nothing! Ever wonder why blacktails stay on the wet side? That's right; they're scared to mingle with real deer!
So this will be my first actual bear hunt. It sounds like I need the 300 WM, the 22-250 AI, the 12 guage, a slingshot and some nice throwing rocks. I don't have a .375 snake gun, so I'll just run from those. If there aren't any blacktails around to eat they might go after humans. Sholud be a good trip if the snow melts in time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Dang 8ball it's about time you showed your face!! Good to have you back!! We should get together and shoot--even if it's just paper. Or maybe some rodents if you have any connections.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

477 members (19rabbit52, 007FJ, 222Sako, 308xray, 29aholic, 12344mag, 33 invisible), 1,737 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,011
Posts18,520,664
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.