-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
If your answer is going to be on the order of "Handguns aren't allowed in Canada." don't bother to reply and clutter the thread.

I'm sure someone has done this recently so in an effort to speed the process I ask.

What paperwork, devices (lockbox, etc.) and contacts are need to drive a handgun across Canada? I see reference to the ATT (Authority To Transport) but haven't had much luck contacting the Chief Firearms Officer anywhere in Canada just yet.

I plan to drive from Maryland to Northway, AK in late August or early September 2009. I would like to enter at Winnipeg (Manitoba), cross Saskatchewan to Edmonton (Alberta) then northish across BC and the Yukon. I could also go to Montana and cross at Sweetgrass cutting out Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

First hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You need to get a authorization to transport permit from Chief Firearms Officer for the province you want to travel threw. It takes a little while to get so start early. That's the reason my handguns are still in AK. Two months was not enough. Also make sure your hand gun is not on the restricted list.

im sure you have this link but it is helpful

http://www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/faq/transport_e.asp

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A word to the wise is sufficient.

Jim
I used to drive back and forth from the lower 48 to AK a couple times per year. The best way is to send it to yourself, at your other address by UPS or FED-EX. (Cannot use USPS unless an FFL holder is involved). I've tried to take one through with me, and the only way to go through Canada with a handgun is if you are moving to or from Alaska. And if so, it has to remain under lock and key with the Canadian Customs' seal on it, that is unbroken when you leave the country. AND it cannot be on their list of "banned" weapons. In other words, it's more of a PITA than it's worth.

Last edited by CastleRocker; 02/28/09. Reason: spelling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are not easy to get and you wont have the easiest time getting one if your only reason is transit from the lower 48 to AK with a handgun, but you WOULD need an ATT to transit through Canada.

You would need to keep it locked and seperate from ammunition while en route.

Not the easiest process, and they dont give them out to EVERYONE who wants one.

Honestly, in my experiences (quite vast on the subject), its easier to have it shipped to Alaska and pick it up there.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by DaveKing
If your answer is going to be on the order of "Handguns aren't allowed in Canada." don't bother to reply and clutter the thread.

I'm sure someone has done this recently so in an effort to speed the process I ask.

What paperwork, devices (lockbox, etc.) and contacts are need to drive a handgun across Canada? I see reference to the ATT (Authority To Transport) but haven't had much luck contacting the Chief Firearms Officer anywhere in Canada just yet.

I plan to drive from Maryland to Northway, AK in late August or early September 2009. I would like to enter at Winnipeg (Manitoba), cross Saskatchewan to Edmonton (Alberta) then northish across BC and the Yukon. I could also go to Montana and cross at Sweetgrass cutting out Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

First hand knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

I'm still doing the in care of shipping to myself. With UPS. However, note the new trouble you will have if you tell the shipper that it's a handgun. You will have to do a transfer.

I now fill out the shipping info as machined parts, with the handgun disassembled. When I asked why UPS wanted to have you ship through and FFL, they told me it's because of all the theft by their employees. How that is supposed to stop any theft is beyond me. I think the real reason is because UPS in Alaska uses the U.S. Mail as their contract shipper. And the Post Office requires and FFL to ship with them.

That 60 day wait from Ottowa for a permit, is not a lie. You would be better off going all the way to Washington state and entering at BC, just to cut down on the permits. Remember that the U.S. at the border will still require you to fill out a form 4473. Please don't ask how any of this makes any sense?

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Uhhhhhhh...

Shipping a handgun through the USPS as a non-FFL is not legal... The way I read it that is a felony. Call it whatever you want, but if it is a receiver, as defined pretty clearly, it is a firearm, regardless the number of pieces and parts surrounding it.

UPS requires faster service because of the tracking to counteract theft, the FFL has never been the issue.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks

I was hoping it was just a little known choice/option and once on the correct path it would be simple but that doesn't sound like the case.

I plan to try a moose hunt this fall and thought I'd bring along my heavy loaded Ruger 45 Colt. Also with the drop in fuel prices I re-considered driving, I'd like to finish my sightseeing drives across Canada to fill in from Fort St. John, BC to Alaska.

I guess I'll just fly and be done with it, I'll wait till I get more gray hair and a large slow motorhome to make the drive!

Thanks

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
1. You are already running short on time for an Aug/Sept trip. I am serious about this. It is the kind of thing that should be initiated nearly a year ahead of your departure.
2. It is not simple....in any way, nor is authorization guaranteed, even if you do everything correctly.
3. Correct info is available on official Canadian websites, but is not cohesive or complete in any one location. The regulations are purposely difficult, confusing, complex, and meant to discourage.
4. They do not want you to take a handgun in their country. There is nothing in their system to help you or make it easy.
5. Prior advice to ship it to yourself is the best solution.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Or . . . you could forego the handgun and do the drive; that would be my choice. The drive is well worth it - a fascinating look at some breathtaking country and it's inhabitants, both animal and human. I'd miss the scenery a lot more than the accompanying handgun, which, to my way of thinking, is just another weight to lug around. YMMV, though.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Drive is one of the finest in the world. Consider driving only during daylight hours for 2 reasons. Scenery is not to be missed. There are lots of moose & bear, easy to view in the daylight, damn difficult after dark.
Running into a moose will ruin more than your day.
I view a handgun as excess baggage. Better to exchange the weight for a couple bottles of wine. Makes everything in the wilderness taste a little better. My 2 cents!

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Our government is very unreasonable when it comes to handguns, but don't penalize yourself and deny yourself the pleasure of the drive. Our NW is some really spectacular country, and well worth seeing in person.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Now that you know about the handgun hassles, just ship the handgun to yourself, and then make the drive. If you don't have a contact in Alaska, you should give a call to Gun Runners in Anchorage 907-245-5486. In 2003 when I was there they said that you must be the owner, then you can ship the handgun to yourself at their address, and they will hold the package for you but it will not be opened by their staff. Best to call and confirm.
I have had the best luck shipping through Fed X, but UPS is also OK. I agree that disassembling and declareing as machine parts is the best way to handle the shipping. For your long guns, go to the CFO website, download the forms and the rules, fill them out, BUT DO NOT SIGN THE FORMS UNTIL YOU AT THE BORDER. It usually is $35.00 for three long guns.
Be sure to check the length on your guns, last time I went across the minimum length is 18.25". And be sure to declare your rifles on the US side so that you can bring them back in without any hassle.

The drive to Alaska is incredible. I would suggest that you make the initial portion of the drive across the US to western South Dakota or North Dakota, and then into Mountana. The best place I have crossed is at Plentywood, MT.

Besure to fuel in the US, probably Williston, ND. If you put your fuel on a credit card in Canada, your credit card company will charge a surcharge for the exchange rate. Once you get into Canada you are stuck with the exchange rate. We had 90 gallons on board which gave us a range of 1200 miles. When you get to the start of the Alaska Highway at Dawson Creek, BC, be sure to fuel. The distance to White Horse is 882 miles, and then from White Horse to Anchorage is 708 miles. I would suggest that you fuel at White Horse also. Our objective was to fuel only twice in Canada to keep down on the exchange rate charges.

We pulled a small 5th wheel which was great because we could stop anywhere along the way to sleep. We didn't eat any meals out. After you leave Dawson Creek, there are many, many pull outs and gravel pits where you can spend the night.

You should check your tires everytime you stop for anything. And have a plug kit along just in case. We also had one of those 12 VDC air compressors. You should also be prepared to deal with mosquitos if you have to be outside - like changing a tire. If you have your phone enabled for Canada you will be surprised at the good service around the small towns. But there is no coverage between the towns. One of the things that you should purchase is a book called "The Mile Post" which gives you a very precise description of the road, the construction plans, and all of the businesses along the way. Very good investment.

Have a camera ready all the time. We got lots of pic's of moose, bears, stone sheep, big horns. We missed a nice wolf because the camera was out of reach.

I have gotten way off of this thread, so will wrap it up. Hope you make the drive (with a friend is better). You will not regret it. And just ship the handgun - much simpler.

Best of luck and have a great time.

SD_Hunter

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of fear. Mark Twain (1835 - 1910)

SD Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sounds like a great trip and I'm envious. Not even going, and I'm excited. Plan on halving your travel rate between Fort St John and Watson Lake. Talk about "view property"!!!! There is way too much wildlife and spectacular scenery on that leg to hurry along. Have plenty of film or a couple of empty memory cards if going digital.

The "Mile Post" book is a valuable and entertaining resource. As suggested previously, don't leave home without it. It contains info on almost every nook and cranny along the way.

My experience with exchange charges on credit cards has been just the opposite. Straight across exchanges with no service charges. You might check with you provider. One IMPORTANT word of warning: Let your card company know that you are making the trip. Last time up, my card died with a full tank of diesel loaded at Watson Lake. Seemed we were out of our habitual haunts and spending patterns, and the company shut us off. We had the cash for fuel that evening, but had to do a morning call to get the card back up and running. It was not much of a hassle, but had we been short of cash and wanting to continue on outside of Central time zone business hours, we would have been stuck.

I'd suggest early September timing. With all the color changes, the trip up and back will seem like two totally different environments. Post Labor Day also eliminates about 80% of the summer tourists one might have to compete with earlier. We've done the drive twice in September-early October, and have never had need for nightly reservations.

I too suggest leaving the handgun. It is possible, but does require a bunch of front end effort. A handy long gun is a lot less hassle if you really have a need to be armed. Let me know if you need a driver, navigator, or staff photographer. 1Minute

Last edited by 1minute; 03/04/09.

1Minute

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1234, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 10ring1, 54 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,254
Posts18,486,311
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.