Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fellas,

I have no idea why you all insist on feeding this monkey ?

What a waste of time, internet bandwidth and electrons. (including this post)

Tony.

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
"Cleared" means cleared and dry fired chamber."

"Lrry, I've been hunting the Colorado Rockys since 51 and all the camps I've been in just clear the chamber on rifles in camp or vehicle. "

No one has yet to answer my question, does this mean after the ammunition is removed the rifle is dry fired to release the firing pin before putting it away?

Last edited by larrymartin; 04/26/04.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Larry, dear, I think I speak for more than just myself here when I say "NOBODY F#CKIN' CARES!" whether there are rounds in the magazine when the chamber is cleared! Just don't frickin' shoot anyone, yourself or my [email]dmnable[/email] jeep!

Jeez, I am dumber than even YOU for answering!

S

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

I hadn�t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No rules, just right!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

No one has yet to answer my question, does this mean after the ammunition is removed the rifle is dry fired to release the firing pin before putting it away?

Yes. Dry fired in a safe direction (into a clearing barrel, down range, etc.)

Now, if you attempt to tell me this is unsafe, I will then know why your father had so many rules in camp. Because of his idiot son, no doubt.........

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't drop the firing pin on an empty chamber. Its much easier to fold the bolt down while pulling the trigger. Clearing to me means extracting the live round from the chamber, depressing the remaining rounds into the magazine while closing the bolt, then depressing the trigger as the bolt is folded down. You end up with an uncocked rifle with an empty chamber. Same way to carry it in a scabbard too. Dry firing gives me the willys.

Mule
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dry firing gives me the willys.

It shouldn't. A slowly lowered firing pin is a dangerous thing, IMO. The safety ordinarily cannot be engaged when the firing pin is lowered, and there is always the possiblility the firing pin is resting on a live round, and ready for discharge at the first drop of the firearm.

Clearing by dry fire is the only way to safely have a firearm with a closed action that is not loaded ready for action.

If you worry about broken firing pins, as a few do, snap caps can be had cheap.

Last edited by DaveR; 04/26/04.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
"t shouldn't. A slowly lowered firing pin is a dangerous thing, IMO. The safety ordinarily cannot be engaged when the firing pin is lowered, and there is always the possiblility the firing pin is resting on a live round, and ready for discharge at the first drop of the firearm."

It sounds as if you're using a rifle with a hammer, probably lever action. Muleskinner, method of disabling the firing pin is by far the safest for a bolt action. This method has always been common practice with anyone I've ever hunted with and for that matter ever would. The fact is, dry firing has always been and always will be unsafe practice. Those who claim otherwise only give fuel or reason for some to demand better gun control laws. Like it or not and regardless of your perception I'm"idiot", you have never been properly schooled in the proper handling of firearms.

Last edited by larrymartin; 04/26/04.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Real Rules for camp.

1. Never take the bunk nearest the bathroom/outhouse door.

2. Always wear slippers!

3. Don't bunk closest to the stove.

4. Take spare glasses, meds...etc..

5. What is said at camp, stays at camp.

6. Clean up after meals and do dishes then.

7. Keep your own bunk and gear neat.

8. Share your extras and don't be a hog with offerings.

samchap Waldoboro, ME

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It sounds as if you're using a rifle with a hammer, probably lever action. Muleskinner, method of disabling the firing pin is by far the safest for a bolt action. This method has always been common practice with anyone I've ever hunted with and for that matter ever would. The fact is, dry firing has always been and always will be unsafe practice. Those who claim otherwise only give fuel or reason for some to demand better gun control laws. Like it or not and regardless of your perception I'm"idiot", you have never been properly schooled in the proper handling of firearms.

No,,,,,idiots with firearms (sounds like someone we know here, larry) are the reason for stricter control laws.

I'm not biting on your bait, but just in case there is someone here who doesn't know better, wouldn't be good to have them reading your drivel and believing it.

It is never unsafe to drop the hammer on an empty chamber, and get ready, it's alot for you to understand, but here goes,,,or ON A LIVE ROUND, as long as your muzzle is pointed in a safe direction.

Slowly closing the bolt on a bolt action rifle, or any rifle for that matter, on what could possibly be a live round IS DANGEROUS.

I don't know what kind of bolt actions you're using, but on my 77's, if you drop the bolt on an empty chamber, the firing pin is DOWN AND EXTENDED BEYOND BOLT FACE. If there is a round in the chamber, THE PIN IS RESTING DIRECTLY ON THE PRIMER OF THAT ROUND. That translates into a fired round if there is one in the chamber and the rifle is dropped. Period.

Some bolt actions may have a firing pin block preventing the pin from dropping fully without a trigger pull. Do you know which ones they are off the top of your head? I sure as heck don't.

Again, the safest way to clear a weapon is to unload it, observe the chamber, close the action, and drop the hammer (dry fire) on that empty chamber (or snap cap if you desire) while the gun is pointed in a safe direction.

Ten years in the military and law enforcement, carried and used every day for years, and around guns all my life, I know how to "clear" a rifle / handgun, etc. I'm not the one her who hasn't been properly schooled in firearms handling, bub.

Saving a $13 firing pin, or even a $5k elk hunt because you dropped a broken firing pin on your shot of a lifetime, IS NOT worth it if you make a mistake and leave a round in the chamber and the weapon falls and injures or kills someone.

I won't rip on a guy for doing it this way, but I will try to educate him, and I will rip on him for trying to tell me it is safer than dropping the hammer on the empty chamber or snap cap.

All the guns I've owned, and all the dry firing, I have NEVER had a broken firing pin. I have had unintentional discharges. It happens to the best of us if you're around them enough. I've never had an accident.

My definition of unintentional discharge is the unintended discharge of a firearm in an intended and safe direction.

An accident is an unexpected or expected discharge, in an unsafe direction, resulting in injury, or the possibility of injury, to yourself or another.

There is a reason why the military and law enforcement agencies will not discipline someone for an unintentional discharge into a clearing barrel.

Fail to properly clear that same firearm, have a discharge outside of the clearing barrel or in an unsafe direction, or hand it to an armorer with a live round under a slowly lowered hammer, and you are looking at more than a little trouble.

As I said, now we know why your father had so many rules.

Anyone who is clearing their firearm and drops the hammer on a live round resulting in a discharge in my camp while outside that camp and clearing to come in, and as long as the firearm is pointed in a safe direction, is welcome any day to share a camfire and a hunt with me again.

There is no shame in unintentional discharges. There is shame in accidents. There's a difference.

Last edited by DaveR; 04/26/04.

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
IC B3

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
First of all, the unsafe practice of dry -firing rifles damaging a firing pin is totally irrelevant. Also, any schooling by the military and law enforcement. That would especially apply to the military, because their training is designed for offense tactics to kill people, not defense . Dry -firing is offense handling of a weapon and has no place in a civilized society.

It's one thing for you and your friends to go hunting handling weapons this way, frankly I could care less if you kill yourselfs. But a completely different thing to give the impression to a youngster that dry -firing is a safe practice and my opinion anyone that does is totally irresponsible.

Last edited by larrymartin; 04/27/04.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

289 members (16penny, 204guy, 219 Wasp, 17CalFan, 257robertsimp, 1_deuce, 37 invisible), 2,379 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,240
Posts18,485,869
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.