Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I was considering a Montana or Sako 85 in 300 wsm but after looking around a bit I'm thinking about the Xbolt. What are your feelings on this gun? The main reason I'm leaning toward the xbolt is that my other browning rifle is very accurate and for the same price as the others I can also get a new handgun.(gotta buy before there forbidden)

HR IC

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I am seriously considering getting one for me and the wife to use if I get her out for early anterless. It has some great things for a smaller shooter that fit me well at my average height.
The safety is under your thumb for fast shots and you can easily work it in a "gripped" position too. It's close enough to the grip for smaller handed people to. I like the short bolt lift, the ability to unload while on safe, free floated, soft recoil pad, and the stock has a nice contour that fits a smaller hand or one that has a heavy glove on it. Being a MN hunter like me, you probably can appreciate a gun that fits a gloved hand!
I think I saw a 300 wssm at the coon rapids sportsman's warhouse for under $700. I want a 308 or possibly a 243 that is sitting at a gander mountain for $699. Not sure if I want to do a 243 for a MN deer or not.
Good luck. Buy it and get a handgun too. Obama needs you to spend your money.
H

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I own a Stainless synthetic X-Bolt 30.06 and I also have several Remington 700's and a Sako Mod 85 Finnlight in My safe but when it came time to go hunting I always grabbed for the X-Bolt, it's a super accurate rifle that just feels good in My hands, buy an X-Bolt you wont be sorry...........Good luck...........547.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Are the composite stocks tupperware or laid up fiberglass?

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
The composite stocks are closer to a Sako and have a solid feel to them. When you tap them, they don't sound like a cheap hollow core door.

I was looking at one at a Gander mountain and the clerk didn't care for the glass reinforced plastic magazine, but that construction is used in spraying equipment and is very strong. My only comment was that is how they got the rifle light and look at Glock pistols and tell me they can't take a beating.

Other than that, How was the show Mrs. Lincoln?
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm thinking real seriously about getting one myself. They are one of the few whow still chamber 7wsm.. The action is leaps and bounds better than the A bolt which I didn't care for.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Boman
I'm thinking real seriously about getting one myself. They are one of the few whow still chamber 7wsm.. The action is leaps and bounds better than the A bolt which I didn't care for.

What is so much better about this action than the A-Bolt???

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I recently purchased a 325 WSM X-Bolt stainless stalker and love it.
No surprise on the awesome accuracy out of the box. The new bolt release with the safety in the "on" position is a new plus. The new integrated scope rings that Browning has are also a big improvement.
I actually am a big fan of the feel of the new stock. We'll see over time how durable it is.

So far zero complaints. My cousin bought a 300 WSM X-Bolt composite stalker and so far he is hooked as well.

Shoot Strait....Penetrate Deep.
V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Handled an X-Bolt in GM a few weeks ago and have to admit that it felt good. Much better feel to me than the A-Bolt. I thought the wood stock looked and felt much better than the composite. I have been looking for a .243 Winchester and I plan to seriously consider the X-Bolt.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
They are a great shooting rifle. I got the 7 rem mag hunter and absolutly love it, I am also looking for one in .338 win mag as well in the browning X bolt. These guns are straight shooting right out of the box. Don't hesitate to try one you won't be dissapointed.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Dang!
A thread about Brownings with no bashing going on?!

Was on a hunt last week with a guy that had a new X-Bolt Hunter in 7mm Rem Mag. It worked well enough to take a ram at a lasered 240 yards with a 30 mph cross wind.

I liked it enough to be trying to figure out a way to justify owning one myself.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Seven_Heaven
Dang!
A thread about Brownings with no bashing going on?!

I know.....its crazy. Give this thread 6 or 7 pages and we will have everyone converted and part of the Browning cult.
Maybe people are just being civilized and I better not hold my breath????? eek

Shoot Strait....Penetrate Deep.
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Do the Stainless X Bolts have a matte stainless finish to them? Also, does the Hogue stock have regular looking checkering or is it just a textured grip pattern on the forearm and pistol grip area? What does an Stainless and Hogue stock model run? Do you prefer this gun to a TC Icon in Stainless and Hogue stock?

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I got the new Xbolt today. 300 WSM blue and composite stock. I really like the feel of this rifle. Now I need to order dies and brass so I can get her out to play. I had set out thinking Kimber or Sako but in all honesty the feel of the rifle grabbed my attention. I was waiting on a sales person to quote the 1st two rifles and while I was waiting I picked up the new browning xbolt. I always liked the Abolts but this gun really stepped it up for me. I guess I'll have to consider one of the others after I get a new safe. I also brought home a new handgun and now I'm sure my wife thinks I'm certifible! Thanks to all of you who recommended the Xbolt as I really think I'm gonna like this gun.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Bigbuck12, does it hold 3 or 4 down in the magazine, staggered?

What does the rifle weigh nekkid?

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Originally Posted by SamOlson

3 in the clip and one in the tube!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks Turbo!

Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Tturbo
Originally Posted by SamOlson

3 in the clip and one in the tube!

What he said, but I'll add that it is a rotary magazine so it will always feed from the middle of the mag. This is my 1st WSM rifle so I hope the feeding is slick. Never had a problem with my buddies abolt so it should be even better here.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
One thing I noticed the other day when checkin out rifles at the local store, the buttstock is not very generous from heel to toe compared to most.
That means more oomph spread over a pretty small area. That was the synth. model X-bolt.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I just checked out the Browning website. They make some pretty light WSM's. The X was 6lbs 8oz.
The gold triggers ain't right though...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (35, Boarmaster123, blackhawk44, 257robertsimp, 10gaugemag, 8 invisible), 1,202 guests, and 888 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,863
Posts18,497,235
Members73,980
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.