-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
A little background first.<P>About 7 yrs ago a wild Canada Goose ended up at my Dads. It was winter and the goose was lame, couldn't get around, so we housed it in a shed and fed it through the winter. Well she can't fly very far, and is stll lame, so she became a member of the family.<P>Last year she nested and layed about 5 eggs. Of course they were duds, as there are no other geese nearby. We didn't even know it was a she till then. This year she nested again, so Dad and I went to a friends farm and got her some fertile eggs to replace the duds. She hatched one about 8 weeks ago, and it gets bigger every day. It's amazing how fast they grow. <P>My questions are: How old do geese get, life expectancy wise, and how can I tell the sex of the goosling? I hope the young one finds a mate and leaves, as I really know what the phrase " Sh## like a goose" means.<P> Doesn't seem to be much action on tho waterfowl board, so I posted here.<BR>7mmbuster

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I kept a one winged Canada goose for six years before it died. I don't know how old it was when I got it.<P>As to the sex deal I can't help you at all. I always just wanted to shoot the goose but every body got their own thing I guess. [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] <BR>BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7mm:<P>I spent some time on the net, trying to find out how old geese get. I could not find an answer in my efforts, so far. I seem to recall reading of a tagged goose that was something like 22 years old, but I am sure that is highly unusual. I tried to access DU's site to see if they had it, but the won't let me in to where I need to be without my ID # and I didn't feel like going to look it up. <P>At any rate, I found this site, which has some information on raising them which you might find helpful.<BR> <A HREF="http://www.cyborganic.com/people/feathersite/Poultry/NDG/HayesCanada.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.cyborganic.com/people/feathersite/Poultry/NDG/HayesCanada.html</A>

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks Fellows. IFID, your link was very helpful. I couldn't find all I wanted, but I E-mailed the one guy and hope to get a reply.<P> I have learned 2 things from this old goose.<BR>#1 They fly in a V shape so that they are not directly behind one another, as they crap ALOT!<P>#2 Did you ever notice when geese migrate in a V, one side of the V is always longer than the other? The reason for this phenomenom is simple, there are more geese on that side of the V! [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] <P>Thanks again.<BR>7mmbuster

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

R
R
7mmbuster , i used to raise tame geese and i have see some that were over 25 and have heard of canadas that came pretty close . was the egg from a wild canada ? if it was from a domestic goose it won't be leaving ! and will they ever grow !!--- herb [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
7mmbuster, -- did you know the reason they honk while flying is to keep from running into each other,(real). They could live to be 100 as high as they fly over me, would take my 270 to reach them and I don't shoot that well. -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

69 members (01Foreman400, Big1bud, beefan, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,427 guests, and 814 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.