-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
A win M70 Fwt. Push feed in 7x57... I added some cosmetic touches, but it is the "go to" rifle when I don't know what I'll encounter. Deer and elk on the same day...African Plains game, all sizes, thankfully a few times...
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Probably my Win70 SS Fwt in .308. It currently wears a McMillan handle and a Leupie 2-7x scope on QR mounts. It carries and points well and is fairly accurate. I also have a soft spot for a Win88 in the same caliber.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Marlin 336 in 30-30 that was given to me by mom and dad when I was 12. I also love the first Weatherby I bought, SBGM in 338-06. Alot of guns have been bought and sold but the 336 will always stay.

I also bought a circa 1915 1893 Marlin last year which I'm looking foward to using. Not a favorite yet but you never know.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have several that I like,and use,but when I have to reach into the safe and grab something that I know will work,and perform,it's a pre 64 M70 FW with 22"#1 Krieger barrel and Brown Precision Kevlar stock, chambered for 270 Winchester.

Lightweight,accurate with a 130 Partition or Bitterroot at 3100 fps, and reliable,this little rifle is on its' second barrel and has always delivered when I have done my part.

A second rifle is made of the same components chambered for 375H&H,and weighs about 8.5 pounds scoped. It is very accurate with a 250 gr bullet at 2900 fps.With this pair,I feel I can handle about anything North America can offer.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My favorite big game hunting rifle is my M99F in .358 Winchester. I got the rifle in 1966.

I have used it as my primary hunting rifle out of my camp in Vermont that I got in 1964. I feel very confident of that rifle with its easy operation and power.

There it is on the left in this picture of .358 Win. chambered rifles.

[Linked Image]

IC B2

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have a closet full of favorites, but anyone of them might not be here tomorrow if you have enough money in your pocket to make a decent offer...

A few that won't be sold that I dearly love would be my grampaws trapper 30-30 Texas Ranger Rifle and his colt 45...My old 25-35 SRC Win that I still hunt deer with is a favorite. I shot my first several elk with it. My old Win. M-70 custom stock (I made in 1950)is still around and rough looking. My dads 99EG in 250 Savage that became my favorite elk rifle as a kid. A Win. 63 22 L.R. that I fed a Mexican work crew in Mexico with on dads leased Mexico ranch..Shot about 5 ot 20 deer a day with it for one summer until the ranch was fenced, that was my job, keep the crew and the local Forrestals in meat, and that ranch was literally teaming with deer as the locals had no guns back then, only the bad guys had guns.. Last but not least is my old 375 H&H English Mauser. My Jack Hough 338 was my favorite all time rifle, but I sold it last week for a goodly price...oh well! I am and always will be a gun whore. I build them, I want to keep them, then I sell them for the most part.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine has to be a P64 Win FW in any caliber, in a modern gun I finding the Ruger #1's with a lot of interest and fun,but then the Mannlicher's are cool as well...I guess I can't answer this with a straight face....as long as it's wood and blue steel ,I'm good.

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
An impossible question ! I have several rifles I couldn't choose from. Also, hunting modes differ and imply specific demands. Let's find out how restrictive I can discriminate, without feeling robbed of some particular assets :

Drive hunting (running shots at game ranging in weight from 55 lbs/ Roedeer to 550 lbs red stag) :
Fair weather
[Linked Image]
FN-Browning O/U in 9,3x74R

Foul weather
[Linked Image]
Blaser in 9,3x62

Stalking /stand hunting
Medium/heavy big game
[Linked Image]
Blaser in .300 Win Mag

Light/medium big game
[Linked Image]
Sauer 202 in .30-06 & 7x64

Travelling abroad
[Linked Image]
Blaser OffRoad stock + scoped bbls.+ bolt heads, magazines in .300 Win Mag & 9,3x62

Andre
--------------------------------------
3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It's not the prettiest in the group, and far from being the most accurate or easiest to carry, but for me its my grandfather's old 1917 Eddystone in 30-06. He bought it back in the depression, made a "sporter" stock himself (he was actually a very accomplished wood-worker), and hunted with it all of his life.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have 2 I won't ever consider parting with: The first is the Winchester M94 in 32 Special my grandfather gave to me the day I was born. He was from northern Maine and back when times were really tough up there, that gun put a lot of meat on the table for my Mom and her sisters. Heck, from what my Dad tells me, he even shot some of them in the daylight with it! The second is the Winchester M70 FWT in 270 Win Dad gave me for Christmast a number of years ago. I have 2 brothers and we were told to go into the gun closet and pick out whatever rifle we wanted and that was our Christmas gift from the old man. Now that was cool, so many to choose from. I think Dad was a bit ticked when my youngest brother picked the better of the 2 Win M88s that he had, clover leaf tang 308 that shoots almost anything you feed it under MOA (but he never said anything about it).

There are others on the list too, but those two leap to the front of the "don't ever sell" line.

Last edited by Technoman26; 03/04/09.
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by atkinson
...... I am and always will be a gun whore. I build them, I want to keep them, then I sell them for the most part.

Upon recognizing the undisputable characteristics....I stand and say...

I'm Jay, and I'm a gun whore.... grin

JCM

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I can think of only two guns that I'll never sell. Both are handguns with some history.
I learned, or maybe I should say I hope I learned, long ago not to sell something that is really working for me. And to sell those that are not working for me.
I need not worry that somebody will offer me so much money for any of my rifles that I'll sell regardless of how well it's working for me. All of my serious rifles have synthetic stocks, not nice wood. Their barrels are all stainless steel and almost all their metal work is coated with baked on, flat black paint.
To me, they are not ugly. They are at the top of the heap when it comes to reliable and tough.
When I feel like doing a little casual hunting with something nice, I've got a nice O/U shotgun and a couple of lever action Marlins. Iron sights, of course.
Rifles for hunting I've found, take a while to tell you what they are and where they fit in the scheme of things. Like rifle scopes and binoculars, I must hunt them for a few years, and build up some track history with them before I really know if they are the answer to my hopes and dreams. E

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have a couple that I won't sell, but the most sentimental of all of them are a Model 39A Marlin given to me on my 10th birthday and a Browning BPS given to me on my 16th Christmas by my parents.

I am fortunate, my uncle is a gunsmith and he gave me a custom built 270, the rifle was built on Sako action with a fantastic piece of Bastogne walnut. He gave me the rifle just because it was not right that I didn't have a centerfire rifle.

Since then I have had a couple of rifles built and I have bought some more, but the ones above will not be departing anytime soon.

[Linked Image]
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I don't have any anymore,all of mine were stolen right before OBAMMY got elected by the suck ass DEMOCRATS and other blind SOBS in this country.May you all rot in HELL.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a couple the first is my fav for many reasons, first because it was a gift from my father, and it was a sacrifice for him to purchace it, and it is a great gun to boot! Shot alot of stuff with it even some stuff I should not have shot smile

Its a HK 300 in a 22 mag. Great gun for any kid growing up on a farm.

[Linked Image]
By coachsells, shot with COOLPIX S210 at 2009-01-31

Next would be my blaser it packs nice and I've got a choice of caliber (I own somthing like 7 barrels now)

[Linked Image]
By coachsells, shot with COOLPIX S4 at 2008-08-30

Ed

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
What ever I happen to be using.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
First favorite: T/C Encore 280 Remington
Second Favorite: Wby Mark V chambered in 7 Dakota

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Husqvarna .30-06

[Linked Image]

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Considering the current political envirnonment, my most valued rifles are the unregistered ones. I fear the others before long will belong to the government.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
my .30-30... end of story. At the end, if had to get rid of every other rifle, the old winchester 94 is the one I would keep. It has NEVER let me down. And with the new Leverevolution ammo, it reaches out even further.

The Only Accuracy Issue With 99.99% Of Weapons Is The Nut On The End Of The Buttstock.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 1badf350, 338reddog, 117LBS, 17 invisible), 2,034 guests, and 862 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,802
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.