Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
They'll start with the "green" power, apparently. Can anybody propose any slightly intelligent reason for this, as opposed to using the existing power grid?

Federalizing power.. Hmm..

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D96O3PCG4&show_article=1

The Senate's top Democrat is proposing special power lines to carry renewable energy�like solar and wind power�from remote places.

The Federal government would be able override states and direct where the lines would go and who would pay for them.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The reason is simple. Central planning and control is essential to any Communist government.

Sam......

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Kind of like the rural electricfication act which brought a lot of farmers power they would have never seen otherwise.

This is one of those things that isn't worth furrowing a brow over.

[Linked Image]
G
Gus Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
there's arguments for it, and of course, there's arguments against it.

overall, the arguments for it slightly outweight the benefits of of the status quo.

lot's of politics, money and tradition involved. it's not an easy solution however one looks at it.

Last edited by Gus; 03/05/09.

S
sc1 Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
They federal government is too incompetent make change of a dollar bill, what makes them think they should mess with electricity?

About how big a boy are ya,sounds like your the right ass whoopin size.
IC B2

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It sounds like Harry Reid is setting Nevada up for federal money to build an in-state electrical generating system that would produce power only for the benefit of --- you guessed it--- Nevada.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
My freaking TV still doesn't work and they want to fix healthcare? You have to be joking!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

�Nothing is so permanent as a temporary government program." -- Milton Friedman
Calhoun Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I worked with an electrical utility for a few years on the IT side, and the ease of transferring power where it was needed is one of the things that keeps power prices low and your lights on. Separating power onto another grid or restricting where it will be sold makes absolutely NO sense whatever. None.

The only thing I can see here is that if the feds control the distribution of green power, and then start taxing the heck out of coal... guess which states will be suffering? Not the dhimmi ones.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Hmmmm. Individuals (multi-nationals) to control means of supply, Government to control means of distribution. I believe way back in my school days that was called Fascism.

Last edited by JohnGalt; 03/05/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D96O3PCG4&show_article=1
WASHINGTON (AP) - The Senate's top Democrat is proposing special power lines to carry renewable energy�like solar and wind power�from remote places.

The Federal government would be able override states and direct where the lines would go and who would pay for them.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid of Nevada unveiled his proposal Thursday. It is expected to become part of a broader energy bill the Senate plans to take up in the coming weeks.

The green power lines would boost development of solar, wind and geothermal energy projects otherwise cut off from the nation's electric grid. It's also a proposal that Reid acknowledged in a news release would give "an enormous boost" to his own state of Nevada where companies are eyeing large solar projects.

It is yet another way to subsidize "green energy". :roll:

Is it too ambitious or too naive to look for an honest politician? Or simply a useful one?
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
It doesn't sound like another or a special grid, just putting in ties to what we have from the remote sites they generate this "green" power at. Much ado about nothing.

[Linked Image]
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by SteelyEyes
It doesn't sound like another or a special grid, just putting in ties to what we have from the remote sites they generate this "green" power at. Much ado about nothing.

+ 1

Solar and wind power will come from remote locations and the grid system needs to be updated even without those sites. One of the limitations here in Texas is the grid; we have plenty of sun and wind but no point in building capacity if you can't transmit it.

Piper

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure they do energy is going to become the new tax generator in this country. What can you do without it? But then they'll give the poor a break you don't need much energy in a tent.

NRA Lifetime Member
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I have been involved as an engineer with most of the major manufacturers of power transmission & distribution equipment in my 45 years in the industry. California wants to put in special power grids for green(electric cars). This despite being opposed to nuclear power & fossil fuel power generation. What is going to charge the batteries of these new & wonderfully expensive green cars? Mostly BS, I suppose. In the near term, 5-10 years, most of us classify wind/solar as "Bouquet Power". It makes the politicians feel good & satisfies the liberal Green's, but with the cost per KW does little to solve our immediate power generation issues. This is only another attempt for the government to control our lives. With the infusion of money from Congress I expect the major investor owned utilities to fall into lock step & support. Remember when due to ridiculous requirements on fossil fuel plants California had major power problems & neighboring states wouldn't sell to them. That will be a thing of the past.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Texas does have major power problems but its mainly in generating power. Several Coal Gasification Plants may be purchased from Japan this year. As usual, many other countries are the leaders in new power generation technologies. Our nuclear industry was destroyed many years ago.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
tbear

I'm certainly no expert here, but T. Boone Pickens abandoned his project for wind power, or at least put it on hold due to grid problems among others. I hunt in the Panhandle and there have been a lot of wind plants put up but very few are working again I'm told because of the grid.

Two weeks ago I flew along IH 20 in West Texas and there are thousands of wind turbines but very few were turning.

i don't think there is one simple answer.

Piper

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

The feds have controlled every kilowatt of hydro power in the western US for 50 years.....It's pretty impressive to see the control centers main room--it reminds me of the NORAD control room.

W.A.P.A.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
The reason is simple. Central planning and control is essential to any Communist government.

i prefer to think that it is nessasarry for national security.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ringworm
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

i prefer to think that it is nessasarry for national security.

Same difference these days........

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I'm sure you are right. Most investor owned utilities have rates(cost/KW) regulated by state electric commissions. With the high cost of fuel it has been difficult to charge high enough rates to upgrade all the power grids. If the Federal Government funds & regulates you can bet that the cost to the tax payer will be astronomical as well as totally inefficient. Other than the military, perhaps, name any efficient government agency? Utilities do a very good job of maintaining a cost effective system. IF we had adopted a viable energy policy years ago our whole economy might be different. With all the major industrialized countries utilizing nuclear power for domestic power generation only the US remains a spectator for new construction. Despite the filing of a number of new permits to operate nuclear facilities I expect the liberals to continue to block any future construction.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (12344mag, 219DW, 204guy, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 57 invisible), 2,397 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,863
Posts18,517,884
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.