Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I'm kinda in the market for another 1911 but want the most bang for my buck. I've had Springfields and Kimbers and now just have one Kimber that I want to set up with my Rowland kit and leave it. I'm giving serious thought to a PT1911 with night sights. How has your PT1911 performed for you? Thanks for all replies!

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
GB1

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some folks swear by 'em, I think you are probably too picky. No offense intended.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
None taken.

Have you looked any over or shot any of them?

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've looked over quite a few spread out over time, a dozen or so probably, and I've looked over shoulders as a couple were field stripped. I haven't fired one.

I've heard here and elsewhere that the PT1911 functions okay. That may be, but the ones I've seen were fit so poorly I don't have any interest. I've never been a "guns are just tools" type so take that into account. Once a manufacturer starts to hang all the doodads on a 1911 they at least should install the parts correctly.

The PT1911 is a long fall, off some sharp rocks, from your Kimbers or Springfields. I figure you'd get tired of it in a couple months and trade it off.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Hmmmmm. OK. I appreciate the insights. Maybe I'll just watch the classifieds for a while for a good deal on a Kimber or Springer. It's always been a shame I wasn't born rich instead of so good looking. grin

IC B2

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Your problem is you have good taste in firearms. wink

There's a place in the world for the PT1911, but I can't see one on the bench next to your Performance Center stuff, a Kimber .460 Rowland, etc.

Robert Frost
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Im tickeked with my stainless PT1911..'bout 750 rounds or so thru it..all is good...all Ive done is a 17lb Wilson recoil spring Wulff extra power firing pin spring FWIW

It must feel so good to be right all the time.....
Click "Ignore"..get rid of the whore..
R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
750 rounds without a bobble is nothing to sneeze at! How is the accuracy?

Thanks that's the kind of info I was looking for.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I only have 500 rounds through mine so far,mag tech,wwb and several trial loads with 230gr LRN using unique and so far not one failure of any kind even with start loads,accurracy has been exceptional,Its capable of shooting better than I can shoot it.
Ask me again in a year.
Bob.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Accuracy is good..only gripe is MY inability to use the Heinie sights well....my bad..not the pistol's fault

It must feel so good to be right all the time.....
Click "Ignore"..get rid of the whore..
IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Mine's got 1500 rounds through it, not a single hiccup. Magtech, Hornady, Speer and Winchester ammo used both 230 ball and Hp's. Oh and it holds 2.5"-3.5" at 25 yards from the sandbags.

One can look over shoulders and make assumptions but, from owning and shooting one it's a great value and shoots/works just fine.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I had my gunsmith tweak a little, install target sights, and mine is accurate, more so than I am. Off the bench, at 25 yards, it will punch 1 inch groups, if I do my part(which is not as often as I would like). I have owned several .45's, and this is as good as any. Have heard a few reports of weak springs, but that is easily remedied. Never had a failure to fire from a gun issue, but if the gun becoming so dirty from factory winchester hardball counts, then once. Last time I had it out, it had over 1500 rounds put through it in 2-3 hours, and the slide failed to close once in that time, because of powder fouling.

The Only Accuracy Issue With 99.99% Of Weapons Is The Nut On The End Of The Buttstock.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Are the PT1911 parts interchangable with other 1911's? Saw one the other day while looking at a RRA 1911.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
I believe they are with the exception of the sights.

R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Last time I had it out, it had over 1500 rounds put through it in 2-3 hours,
My fingers would have been so sore from loading mags, I doubt I could have pulled the trigger! grin

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
ricky,... that's why I have a wife and a 19 year old son,... you let 'em shoot some, they load the mags... give it a try sometime... it works!

The Only Accuracy Issue With 99.99% Of Weapons Is The Nut On The End Of The Buttstock.
R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I'm not so sure that would work for me. Good on you, if it does at your house! wink

I put the Rowland barrel in my Kimber last night and hope to take it to the range this weekend. High percentages of rain for both days but maybe I can get in a few hours. I won't be doing 1500 rounds but I might get 100 in and that would be OK with me.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've got two PT1911s, a stainless and a blue and they have fired everything I've put into them, including mixed magazines with different bullet weights/profiles. Accuracy is very good and the Heinie sights are easy to get used to. Fit and finish varies, the slide on my blued model is noticeably tighter to the frame than the stainless, but the stainless is more accurate so go figure. Neither rattles as much as the new production Colt's I've seen.

Kimber snobs will never let you play in the clubhouse if you buy a Taurus. But that's okay, with the money you save you can build your own clubhouse from empty ammo crates grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by avagadro
Are the PT1911 parts interchangable with other 1911's? Saw one the other day while looking at a RRA 1911.

Originally Posted by iblong
I believe they are with the exception of the sights.

Yes and no...........

Standard 1911 parts will fit the Taurus, but the factory Taurus parts are not all the same & compatible with standard 1911 parts.

For example, if you want to put a standard 1911 thumb safety on a Taurus, you'll have to change the sear, and most likely the hammer as well; the sear is cut to different dimensions on the safety lockup area.

The trigger well on the ones I've seen are also cut differently so a standard 1911 trigger will not fit up correctly.

Otherwise mostly OK, if you can get past the made in Brazil stamped all over them.

JME

MM

R
RickyD Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Otherwise mostly OK, if you can get past the made in Brazil stamped all over them.
That's one reason I sold the Springfield I had. More that it was ported, which I originally wanted but moved past. I think I've moved past the made in Brazil thing too. grin

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (2500HD, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 10 invisible), 3,483 guests, and 720 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,816
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.