Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#2867188 03/07/09
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
I never see these mentioned much in this forum.

They are reasonably available and a full size rifle, so thought I'd ask if there are issues with them.

I do not have a 22 rifle and am considering getting one so am interested in feed back from those that have used the 77/22 rifles.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have one and like it. I actually wish it were a little more "full size". It's not perfect but it's American, well made, and accurate enough to suit me. The flush ten round mag is a great feature, as are the integral rings.

Let me summarize the responses to every 77/22 thread I have read (which is quite a few) on the internet:
Some people like them and think they are accurate.
Some people don't like them because they got one that was not accurate (they almost invariably recommend a CZ).
And one guy is guaranteed to show up and inform you that there has never been an accurate 77/22 leave the Ruger factory.

That should pretty much sum it up.

Last edited by RufusG; 03/07/09. Reason: spellin
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
On page two in this section (rimfire forum) there are a lot of opinions on the 77-22. Last post was 2-25. Ruger's been making these a long time. I like mine. Probably it's number one competitor is the CZ, which a lot of people like. I had one and it's a good rifle too.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
RufusG pretty well summed it up.
Some swear by them, some swear at them. I'm in the latter camp.
Mine was rugged, good lookin' and functioned well. Just wouldn't shoot well.

Regards,
Ron

USASA 1965/69
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Mine's not going anywhere. I love the rotary clip customary to all rugers. Try it against anything and I think you'll agree. I have a 10-22 SS w/ a Manlicher stock "the international" version but by far my favorite is the 77/22.

Proverbs
- A wise man feareth, and departs from evil: but the fool rages, in confidence.
- It is honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will meddle.
- Mischief is as sport to a fool: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

IC B2

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
The CZ is foreign made with a backwards safety. Other than that, it compares well to the Ruger.

IMO, get the Ruger, it's made the way they should be. If money is tight, then get a Remington Model Five.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Isn't the Model 5 also imported???

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
My son and I have a wood one and a synthetic one. They fit us well as we use them to practice for hunting with our bolt action centerfires. I'm not a target shooter so can't comment on their accuracy in that realm. However, they are as accurate as other 22s - often much more so - I have/had, at least offhand at 25 & 50 yds and in reasonably rapid fire. The rotary mags are a very definite +.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I have had 4 or 5 different Ruger K77/22VBZ .22 LR Rifles over the years and one Ruger K77/22RP Stainless-Synthetic .22 LR Rifle. In all of these rifles I had one bad one. On that particular Ruger K77/22VBZ the hole in the front of the receiver that accepts the barrel was drilled at an angle.

[Linked Image]

Above is the way my Ruger K77/22RP now looks. I replaced the Factory Barrel with a Clark Custom Guns 20" Stainless-Steel .22 LR Bull Barrel. I also replaced the Factory Synthetic Stock with a Volquartsen Custom Laminated Wood Stock. I also totally reworked the factory trigger so it breaks like a glass rod at 1 1/4 pounds, and I added an overtravel stop.

The above Rifle wears a Weaver V-16 4x16x42mm AO Rifle Scope with a Fine Crosshair / Dot Reticle. All in all I was totally pleased with the Ruger before I redid it.

[Linked Image]

I decided to customize it for something totally different.

Larry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Impressed with both the .22mag cartridge and the 77/22 rifle, I bought one years ago. Standard blue and walnut. My smith tweaked the trigger to about #2.
It shot great, but had a swell in the factory chamber. I sent it back to Ruger and they replaced the barrel. The new barrel shot as well or better than the original.
On a sage rat excursion with friends, I was introduced to the .17HMR. I liked it. Saw what I thought were benefits from the little cartridge and decided to re-barrel the 77.
I bought a GM 20" blue, fluted bull barrel. Sanded out the barrel channel in the 77 stock and bolted her up.
What a hoot to shoot!
[Linked Image]
The Nikon 4.5x14 side focus scope helps with pinpoint placement and the whole rig just sits there upon firing.
A stainless/synthetic 10/22 handles the volume and close in stuff while the .17 runs on the longer ranges - I usually limit it to about 150 yards or so. We rolled some rock chuck with em last year too.
I like most of the 77/22 versions a lot.

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

IC B3

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I like the one I have. I use it a bolt action trainer for off-hand and shooting sticks practice. I guess it's reasonable accurate. I haven't shot it of the bench at all after I got the scope sighted in.

The 77/22 is close to a hunting rifle in size and weight. The only draw back as a trainer is the bolt action itself. It's tough to work it the same style you work a full sized bolt action. I ended up doing some sort of two-finger tea party deal to work the bolt. I'm not sure there are any 22 rimfire bolt actions with a more full sized bolt.

My brother has a Kimber 22 which is very accurate. I understand those Remington 521 (?) were great rifles as well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Mine was not especially accurate until I read about a potential head space issue. A 0.007 inch shim between the front and rear bolt sections fixed that. Glad I discovered that as I was about to send it off for a rebarrel. Now it shoots as well as my Anschutz. Both rifles though are ammo specific, so do a trial run with several makes of ammo regardless of the rifle selected. I simply love their form and function and refuse to carry a rifle that has a magazine projecting beneath the lines of the stock.

1Minute
G
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G
Thanks to everyone for their replies. I appreciate the input.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have a 77/17 Heavy Barrel that is very accurate...
a 7722 Mag, sporter barrel that is the same..

I like both a lot more since I was able to pick up a couple of 25 round side stacked magazines for them for $18.00 each...

I'd love to get another 77/22 in 22 LR since I could load up about half a dozen 25 round clips and then just shoot and shoot with them... draw back in the price on them...

wish I would have picked up the heavy barrel in 22 LR back when they were about $300.00 instead of today's price of $625.00...

I think they are highly overpriced nowadays...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just wish i could find a Green Mountain barrel for my 77/22...I have been told they aren't making them anymore which sticks...I hate the sights the factory barrels have on them, the GM barrels look so much better.

Rob
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
harv ... do you have a factory barrel with sights that you would want to sell? I wish my 77/22 had'em

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've got a stainless/synthetic (boat paddle) .22 mag that's about 8-9 years old. Installed a volquartsen sear and couldn't be happier with the rifle, just wish the stock weren't so ugly.

Don't think they're worth as much as they are asking for them though these days though. If I were in the market for another .22 mag I'd get another CZ 452, those keep going up in price as well.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by avagadro
harv ... do you have a factory barrel with sights that you would want to sell? I wish my 77/22 had'em

I would if I had a GM barrel to replace it with, but I am in Canada.

Rob
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see. Have you checked with Clark Custom?? I do believe they at one time had 77/22 barrels, a bit more expensive than GM however IIRC frown Oh Canada .... eyes aren't that great, but I still like shooting the 10/22 and 39A with open irons

George
Associate Gypsy

Originally Posted by GOD
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Yep Clark Custom Guns makes barrels for the Ruger 77/22. I just put one on a Stainless-Steel Action. The Clark Custom Guns 77/22 Barrels come 21 1/2" in length but they will make any length you want shorter than 21 1/2". I had mine made 20".

Clark Custom Guns uses Lothar/Walther Barrel Blanks and their own designed Chamber Reamer. I am sure pleased with the accuracy of mine and know full well it will shoot better than the shooter can.

Larry

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 52 invisible), 2,241 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,253
Posts18,486,286
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.