-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I posted this in a thread in Big Game, but since it is so good and so quick I thought I would put it over here. I put a big value on quick recipes, after a day fishing or hunting, I don't have time to stuff the breasts for cordon bleu. Try it, you will like it. Please note that it is not low cholesterol. <P>Shrimp boiled in butter<P>Take 4 or 5 pounds of large or larger shrimp, headed--probably better for flavor, but not essential....note, any size will work, but they are slippery after cooking, so really small ones are a challenge to peel.<P>one # butter......or margarine, in a pinch<P>3 medium or 2 large onions quartered<P>salt to taste, depending on whether you use salted butter or not, but about one tablespoon or a little more<P>About 2 tablespoons of Zatarain's(or some other brand, if there is one)Liquid Crab Boil to taste--note, Zatarain's is a New Orleans product, widely available in the south, I don't know whether you have it where you are or not, if you don't let me know and I will send you some, or find out where you can order it. It is spicy, so I would start with 1 or 2 tablespoons depending on how much heat and spice you like. Add more if it is not hot enough, taste while cooking. We like it hot, but because of our kids, we usually use about 1 1/2 tablespoons for 4 lbs shrimp.<P>At any rate, besides some heat source and a pot big enough to hold all of the above, that is all you need, mix them all together over low to medium heat, stirring more or less constantly until the butter melts and the shrimp and oninon juices start to flow, then continue to stir often. Do not over cook, takes about 10 to 15 minutes maximum. When the shrimp are good and pink, it is done. repeat: Do not overcook.<P>Spoon big portions into a bowl with some good french bread or whatever to sop the sauce with and there it is. As they say in Louisiana, good enough to make you slap your mama, I guaaanraaannteee. CAT

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

GB1

'
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
'
Cat...I'm from Louisiana...4 deacdes worth!<P>And I only saw two things your recipe left out!.....Tony's and Tobasco! [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] <BR>DS

'Slayer
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Light up the bar-b-que, none of them gas fired city boy things, the real thing charcoal and all. peal shrimp leaving just the tail in tact put on a skewer, metal is best 10 -15 per skewer melt a cube of butter, yeah in the microwave if you have too, squeeze 1 lemon into the melted butter place skewered shrimp on the grill, ok gas is passable if you must [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] and cook. brushing lemon butter on untill shrimp are done or you run out of butter. Now slide off the skewer, the tails pull off nicely and eat. 10 per person a nice t-bone and fixins.<BR>life is good.<P>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I give out peeling before I get full, don't they make shrimp without the shell? -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
WE like ours cleaned and boiled in water and Tony Chachere's seasoning. Then split big jalapenos, clean out seeds. put a shrimp in each pepper, wrap with bacon and grill till peppers is brown. about 2 min. If you put one on your head, your tounge will slap ypu to death trying to get it.

"nullum gratuitum prandium"
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Slayer:<P>Believe me, I BELIEVE in spices, but this recipe works without adding anything. The liquid crab boil does it. Try it this way first, then you can fiddle it any way you like. I never met 2 cooks from Louisiana that could boil water the same way, but it usually was good and spicy. LOL

"When we put [our enlisted men and women] in harm's way, it had better count for something. It can't be because some policy wonk back here has a brain fart of an idea of a strategy that isn't thought out." General Zinni on Iraq

'
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
'
10-4 Cat!.........I have been a liitle spoiled by the cooking of the south for so many years...it all seems a little bland up here.<P>I have an order in from a connection I have on the gulf for a fresh batch of shrimp jusy as soon as he can get them here! [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] I'll put your recipe to the test.....<BR>'Slayer

'Slayer
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This one is pretty good as well...<P>one pound shrimp<BR>2 jalapenos diced<BR>one pound butter<BR>1 cup of wine<BR>1 teaspoon garlic<BR>1/4 cup finely chopped onions<P>dump it all in a shallow pan and broil it until the shrimpies are pink....<P>the sauce is great with french bread...it especially hard on your arteries and is NO WAY diet food, so we try to limit our intake of this to only a couple times a week [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]<P>Toons

Don't be ashamed to say what you are not ashamed to think.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

568 members (160user, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 1_deuce, 257Bob, 12344mag, 59 invisible), 2,431 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,363
Posts18,527,223
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.