Hop To
A
AncBill Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
What is a AO scope?

I've gotten some recommendations for this type of scope for my new 10/22. I'm not familiar with it, so what is it why do I need it?

Thanks, Bill

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bill ... you don't need one, unless you're shooting for tip top accuracy (10/22T??) I don't see the need for them. With that said I am thinking about a Leupie EFR Rimfire for paper punching duties.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
A
AncBill Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
what do they do though that a regular scope doesn't.

I've used numerous leupy's for my centerfire, but am now getting recommendations for a AO scope for my 10/22Target

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Allows you to adjust the paralax of the scope to zero for different ranges. Useful when you want the squeeze the extra .2" from your groups.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
"AO" = Adjustable Objective (turret). Scopes of generally higher power tend to be used at several different ranges and need to be accurate at every range at which it's used. Thus, the Adjustable Objective turret (the front turret on the scope).

With an A/O, you'll notice that there are "marks" on the objective turret body with range designations under those "marks". The unit of measurement is in YARDS, so "50" equals 50 yards or "100" equals 100 yards and the "infinity sign" (looks like the figure "8" laying on its side) is for the longer ranges beyond the largest designated range (in yards) on the objective lense's turret.

By putting the adjustable turret on the range at which one is shooting, one can avoid "parallax" which is a distortion of the scope's crosshairs at the target's range which can and does cause poor accuracy if not eliminated by the use of a scope with an Adjustable Objective turret.

Most non-A/O center-fire rifle hunting scopes are set to be parallax-free at 100 yards. Rimfire scopes are suppose to be adjusted to be parallax-free at 50 yards.

I hope this helps... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AncBill
What is a AO scope?

I've gotten some recommendations for this type of scope for my new 10/22. I'm not familiar with it, so what is it why do I need it?

Thanks, Bill

I think you need to ask your self, am I going to be using this rifle for just shooting off of a rest? Am I going to use this rifle for casual hunting and plinking.

If you are going to carry the rifle around to hunt, then and AO scope is probably not going to be what you want.

By the way, the marks on the AO are never accurate as to yardage and have to be set by what you don't see when adjusting them.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 3sixbits

I think you need to ask your self, am I going to be using this rifle for just shooting off of a rest? Am I going to use this rifle for casual hunting and plinking.

If you are going to carry the rifle around to hunt, then and AO scope is probably not going to be what you want.

I disagree. I use an AO scope for hunting sagerats and find it useful and easy to use.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Also focus' a high powered scope at close ranges.

A
AncBill Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
thanks for all the responces. it makes sense now.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

143 members (79S, 673, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 1minute, 29aholic, 16 invisible), 2,146 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,936
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.