Hop To
#2644800 12/14/08
M
MnFn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Ok, I carried an M-16 for about three years in the Army 1973-75. So, I am familiar with operation and maintenance on them. Recently I looked at clone, as I would like to shoot a little target, varmint with a semi. in a cheap to shoot cartridge.

My question is when I sholdered the AR it felt really awkward. Admittedly, I have only shot tradtional stocked bolt actions in some competition, so is this just a matter of getting used to the AR again or should I (shudder) buy a Mini? I do not need this for a home protection piece. But I don't tend to keep inaccurate rifles around too long. Plus, I like the idea of being able to get parts to fix my guns. (I don't want to turn this into another mini vs AR thead, kind of just kidding about considering a Mini, altho my fellow shooter loves his mini.)What do you think- will I just get used to it?

GB1

M
MnFn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
No responses? Must have been one of the few dumb questions- I am sitting in the basement during a blizard going stir crazy I guess.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
What model did you buy with what barrel length?

It may be as simple as personal fit and balance. I shoot a M4 clone with a 6-postion stock all the way out and my 5ft. wife shoots the same gun with the stock one notch out from full in.

My competition rifle weighs a full 14 pounds. To balance the barrel, it has a big chunk of lead in the butt stock. She refuses to even pick it up.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
But I don't tend to keep inaccurate rifles around too long.

And you are thinking you want a Mini? LOL

M
MnFn Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Not really Jamison,just kidding/bored. I have not bought anything yet. I was looking at the DPMS Lo-Pro. There isn't much around here available. The DPMS and a Century Arms W/ heavy barrel for the same money.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The new Mini's supposedly have the accuracy issue pretty much resolved, so if you are serious about one, be sure to get one of them.

AR's have changed a lot over the years. I started out like you, with wore-out Vietnam issue M-16A1's in the Reserves. I had several SP-1 AR-15's and if you are looking for what you started with, get one of those. I'd recommend a Colt as they were the best to be had back in that era before clones got good. The A2 guns came along and then the HBAR and standard AR's were heavier and had more length of pull than before. Certainly the newer ones have been heavily "gamed" but you can still get a CAR type or just buy the aforementioned used SP1.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The stocks are a hair longer than when you shot em. Other than that the grips etc are basically the same but a heavier gun generally.

I've shot mine so much in competition that bolt guns feel weird when I hunt deer. Of course I have ARs in a few different calibers and often hunt deer with them. I prefer how they feel at this point. They feel like they are supposed to, but when I switched from an M14 to an AR15 it took some time to get used to it.

jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
At 6'6" I need all the LOP I can get.
I bought the Ace SOCOM L at the time this was the longest LOP stock out there. Fixed or folding. I added a one inch rubber pad to that.

There are more than a dozen stock and grip choices out there. got to be one that fits you.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have a 4 position adj stock, and it does wonders for fit. Feels good at full length but when I am bundled up, I need a shorter length. I am average height, but shaped like a barrel, so I typically like shorter than normal LOP.

Friend don't let friends use see through sights!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I'm six feet tall and lean. I use the first position out on a four position Colt stock. The longest stock I can use, prone, is A1.

IC B3

M
M
make sure when you shoulder the ar you shoulder it high in you shoulder, remember an ar has a high comb on the rifle to accomidate the buffer system.
when you shoulder the rifle use the bottom half of the stock on the upper half of your shoulder!
AND DONT GET A MINI!!!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

512 members (12344mag, 1minute, 1Longbow, 222Sako, 204guy, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,295 guests, and 1,163 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,025
Posts18,500,482
Members73,986
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.