Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Dayton Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I can't decide which one to go with. Which scope should I pick to go on my favorite all-around big game custom hunting rifle and why? The rifle is chambered in 7mm Rem Mag.

GB1

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like that model Zeiss.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You should compare the VX-3 to the Conquest... not the VX-III.

FWIW I have a 3.5x10 Conquest and really like it.

.... and Leupold has forevermore made it excruciatingly complicated to sort out what scope it is we are actually TALKIN' about, from now on! Grrrr...

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I have both the conquest and the Leupy and I prefer the Leupy. Glass wise I think they're pretty close, but I like the size and feel of the leupy better. I also think the customer service from leupold is better, not to mention that I can easily get turrets and/or reticle changes with the leupold. I know the reticle is available on the conquest, but I just like how quickly and easily you can get it all taken care of with Leupold. and 30 years from now it will be just as easy.

Check out my new website

http://www.howemtnknives.com/
F
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by Oaktona
I can't decide which one to go with. Which scope should I pick to go on my favorite all-around big game custom hunting rifle and why? The rifle is chambered in 7mm Rem Mag.

1) Take rifle with you to scope store at dusk
2) Hold scopes up to rifle to see which one looks better on rifle
3) See how eyebox is with each scope held in position on rifle
4) Take scopes outside & see which one looks better to your eyes
5) Compare results of items 2,3, and 4, & make your choice
6) You'll have made a very well-informed choice

Ignore our opinions. We can choose a scope for you about as well as we can choose a pair of shoes for you. Try 'em on, & buy the one that fits you the best. You won't go wrong with either one of 'em.

FC

"Every day is a holiday, and every meal is a banquet."

- Mrs. FC
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
They are both great scopes with lots of plusses and few minuses. Try them both out and see how they fit you and your rifle. Can't go wrong with either. jorge

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
You're going to do quite well with either of those scopes for that application. Both have plenty of eye relief and they're long enough to be easy to mount properly on long action rifles.

The Conquest demo units with full lifetime warranty that Doug sells for under four bills are a super deal. The closeout priced VX-III scopes have kind of dried up.

mathman

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I'd side with the others recommending to compare the two "side-by-each".....You'll notice some rather remarkable differences/qualities with each in terms of size, reticle, adjustment ring etc. You'll likely land on whatever is most important to you and features you like the best. Both are SOLID choices for your 7mm.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have and love both scopes. I use the Conquest on my "woods" rifle because the reticle thickness is perfect.

For open country hunting it is a Leupy with the B&C reticle which I have practiced with to 400 yards. Also the Leupy has a smaller eyepiece which is desirable for use with rifle saddle scabbards.

Last edited by StrayDog; 03/12/09.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
how about this answer...."either one"....don't agonize over this decision your splitting hairs. If you were asking about a BSA it would be an entirely different discussion....

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My 2 cents. I recently traded my conquest 3-9x40 for a FX3 6x42 after reading all the great reviews on here about the Leupold. Big mistake. In my eyes the glass is not even close. The 6x looks more like a 4x. My best advice would be to look thru both if you have a chance, ymmv.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Lots of good advice, and honestly just do a side and pick what suits you best - it's obvious both scopes are of very good quality.

Unrelated . . . this optics forum has been very civil for the last month or so, quite refreshing! This particular topic would have turned into a 15 page arguement a little while ago.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
the 3-9x40 conquest has a ton of eye relief and great glass. so does the leupy but it varies more with power change. check em both out

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by cfran

Unrelated . . . this optics forum has been very civil for the last month or so, quite refreshing! This particular topic would have turned into a 15 page arguement a little while ago.

Cfran, the Optics Forum is an educational place. This is the first month since I've been at the Campfire where the Optics Forum has been pleasant.

As to the topic of this post, as has been mentioned many times, spend some time with both and choose. You can't make a bad decision.

Have Fun

Rob

Rob

// Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.//
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've tried both and both were excellent. To my eyes, already looking through thick corrective lenses, the glass on these scopes were about even. The color balance and contrast between the two is different, but neither was clearly superior to the other.

For me, the tie breaker would be Leupold's warranty and the fact that, because I live in Oregon, service turn around is less than a week, including shipping times. If I lived on the east coast, or outside the US, this might not play a part in my decision. But, for me, that's why I would go with the Leupold.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I personally prefer the Conquest as the scope seems slightly brighter,and I also appreciate the constant eye relief.

V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
I also have owned many of both scopes, either of these scopes are super but for me I sold all my Zeiss scopes and stayed with leupold the sleek dimensions of the leupold just look much nicer to Me. I will give a very slight edge in the optics to the Zeiss though. ....Good luck................547.

Dayton Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the feedback.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Having owned both scopes in question, I prefer the 3.5-10, and have it on two of my favorite rifles.

Dayton Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well I went with the VX-III 3.5-10x40 matte, duplex. I work at retail outfitter and with the VX-3 coming out the VX-III went on clearance. With my discount the Conquest would have been $483 including tax. The VX-III was on clearance for $399.97 down from $474.99. With my discount and tax I was out the door for $384. Obviously the scope is new and in the box and I couldn't pass on that! I really like both scopes but for $100 cheaper I had to go with the Leupold. Thanks for all the input.

Last edited by Oaktona; 03/23/09.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1lessdog, 69 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,467
Posts18,529,234
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.