Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
If this kind of request is out of line let me know and I'll delete it.

I need an original front sight blade for a 1922 1899E. The sight base is integral with the barrel and the blade pins into a slot cut parallel to the bore.

My understanding is that the original was a bead sight. The previous owner has filed mine to a knife edge and my old eyes just don't pick it up as well as they used to.

I can make one but if some one has one in the parts box they're willing to sell I would appreciate it.

thanks.

Learn from other's mistakes, life is too short to make them all youself.
GB1

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Those are pretty rare and costly to boot.

If you are handy enough to whip one up you will be well served with that solution.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I made one for mine with a 1/16" gold bead. Made the bead out of a chunk of gold from my old wedding band and soldered it on.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
At least you found a good use for it! John

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
CHB, the proper sight is a Lyman #26, 32 or 24. Marbles made a replacement, #16. Redfield called it the "Sourdough". King had some, too. The earliest Lyman front sights should be stamped with an "L" (or "H" from a Model 1920.) The later Lyman replacement sights, found on celophane wrapped cards, will have the version letters stamped on them, such as "GF" for the 32GF, with a gold bead.

In 1924, Savage switched to the longer integral sight base. Model number of front sight the same, but too long for the shorter base. Useable, but too long. Several rifles used the Lyman 26/32, so there are different heights and lengths of the sight within the model #. Krag, Winchester, MS, Springfield, and other rifles of the period used 26/32. Those sights can be filed down (built up) to get bullet strike within an acceptable area. Likely that your current sight is not intended for a Savage 99.

The thickness of the blade is a standard 0.063", so any metal stock that thickness can work. Maybe brass plate from a hobby shop? A shooting buddy uses a real-copper Lincoln penney as a nice, wide square-top front sight. Standard height, for your rifle, would run about 0.300 to 0.385". A tiny height difference translates into inches of bullet strike change at 100 yards.

Finally, the retaining "pin" originally was a tiny threaded screw. The replacement packs never included the screw, to my knowledge. Screw is easy to lose, and harder to replace than an original sight. Brass wire may be the best replacement pin, carefully peening the ends.

The E, F, G, and model 1920 used the same integral base, 1920 to 1924.

IC B2

L
LRF Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
gnoahhh,
gold from my old wedding band

Got to be a story there and one that would go good with a shot of jack! smile

LRF

Save the Earth...its the only planet with chocolate!
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Not much of a story really. I just believe in recycling! Meet girl, marry girl, divorce girl when you get tired of hearing her nag you about all of the guns you drag home. A sad but familiar story. I just find it to be poetic justice to use the gold that she slipped onto my finger that fateful day to grace the barrels of some of my rifles! Additionaly it being gold it won't tarnish, unlike the typical brass or copper bead. Luckily it is one of those wide thick ones. Lots of material to work with. Thinking of giving it to the engraver to make into my monogram on the floorplate of the Mauser Sporter I'm building.

I have some chunks of elephant ivory that I can't figure out how to reliably attach to a sight blade. Any ideas?

Also, I remember my Dad making sight blades out of 1/16" thick sheets of silver solder, the hard variety. (high silver content)

Last edited by gnoahhh; 03/13/09. Reason: additional thought

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I saw one old codger at the range had a Mercury dime cut and put up front---waaayyy cool.

If you really like something,you better buy two!
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I made one out of a Mercury dime one time was not to hard, and worked ok! John

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Is the sight blade Bill is looking for one of those that is flat stock, but flares to a bead on top? Blade thickness .063 and height from the bottom flat to the top of the bead is .300 to .385 if I read Randy correctly?? Reason I ask is that the Maryland Arms Collectors show is this weekend and there may be some repro sight blades there that will fit the bill. Does it look like one of the sights here? : http://www.savage99.com/front_sights.htm

Last edited by Dons1; 03/16/09.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think it is the 5th one down.

Everything you now do is something you have chosen to do. Some people don't want to believe that. But if you're over age twenty-one, your life is what you're making of it. To change your life, you need to change your priorities.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
This will fit, but height and length will have to be filed. Retainer hole is in correct position. You don't have to file it, but expect an eventual bloody finger otherwise.
Springfield front sight blade auction.

C
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Thanks to all who responded. Armed with the Lyman part numbers and the dimensions I can go looking or fabricate one in the shop.
The type I need is either number 4 or 5 in the link below.

http://www.savage99.com/front_sights.htm

CHB

Learn from other's mistakes, life is too short to make them all youself.

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (1Longbow, 10gaugeman, 2500HD, 22250rem, 06hunter59, 1234, 52 invisible), 3,340 guests, and 1,227 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,705
Posts18,534,770
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.