Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
How do you guys like to carry your extra ammo for your single shots ? Butt cuff ? Extra rd(s) between the fingers of the off hand ? E

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I put two rounds in each pocket that I might reach for. Any more than two rounds will rattle.

I started hunting with the Ruger 1a (22" bbl. 7mm RM) in the early 70's in VT as a reaction to how easy it was for me to get a buck.

Times have changed for me there as its no longer easy to find a buck in VT.

That rifle is now a 30-06 as I had Ruger rebarrel it when the 7mm bbl got worn.

[Linked Image]

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E,

My hunting coat has loops for rounds sewn high inside the right pocket. This works great for me as my shooting hand is right there after I drop the fallng block. I just grab a round. drop it in the chnmber close the action while raising the rifle. Works well enough for me when I need more than one. In hot,no jacket weatehr one of those belt ammo holders works too.

Savage 99,

How did you get Ruger to rebarrel it in another caliber? They always told me that they do replacements in only the same caliber that it left the factory with. They also had to change the extractor.

1B

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I complained about a visble defect just ahead of the barrels 7mm RM throat since I got the rifle in the 70's. The throat was also worn and to be frank the rifle never was super accurate.

Ruger said to ship them the rifle for a rebarrel. When it got there they discovered that they did not have or make 7mm RM 1a barrels any longer. When I ordered that rifle from a club ffl buddy way back then I ordered it in 30-06. When it came it was a 7mm RM and he said to take it or leave it. This was very early in the #1's start up and they were in short supply.

To add that the sn of this rifle is in the low four digits with no prefix etc.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I had my favorite holster maker make a sling with four cartridge loops to carry the spares for my #1 in 7x57. It works great!!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm partial to Murray Custom Leather's shell holder, that lace's onto the butt.

Jeff

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Mine's a single shot. You mean you are supposed to have more than one bullet with you? grin I carry five in a shell holder on my belt. Have never needed more than one, though. wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I haven't hunted with my Ruger #1 RSI in 7x57 with full Mannlicher stock and it's Kepplinger single set trigger yet... and may never do so. It's almost "too purdy" to take into the woods.

But if I do "hunt" it eventually, I'll carry one round in the rifle and 6 rounds in two of those metal cigar containers(3 rounds in each container) with screw-top lids in which high-quality cigars come.

No, I don't smoke 'em, but I have friends who do... and I asked them to "save" their cigar containers for me. I've found I can put three (3) of the 7mm Mauser rounds (or 3 rounds of the .300 Savage cartridges for my Model 99, my current "go-to" deer rifle) in the cigar containers, the first two cartridges "base-against-base" and the 3rd. (top) round "bullet-to-bullet" with the middle round... and two of those cigar containers containing 6 rounds fit perfectly in the left breast pocket of my hunting coat.

As far as "follow-up" shots go, I have always taken ONLY carefully aimed shots at game and in 48 years of big game hunting, I've only fired more than a single shot at game animals once because I mostly "ambush" the game... firing from a stand at crossing deer trails or out of a blind along well-traveled game trails.

In addition, I think most hunters who hunt with single-shot rifles tend to be excellent marksmen and tend to aim very carefully and take only "sure shots" since they realize they may only get one shot.

However, if I felt it was necessary while using my Ruger #1 RSI as my "go-to" hunting rifle, I might try holding a round between my fingers while sitting quietly on a stand or in a blind. wink

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E, I am pretty much a single shot only guy. I took one to Africa in "06 and have hunted for many years here in Texas with a single. The best way to carry reloads that I have found is to buy a Filson tin cruiser and sew the left pocket at the correct depth to hold cartridges with just enough rim above the pocket for a good hand hold.

ss

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

I hadn�t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
I have a Ruger #1 7x57 and use a sleeve on the stock to hold extra cartridges. The sleeve holds about 5 cartridges, but I rarely carry more than 2 or 3 and honestly do not recall ever needing the second. It is just nice to have another cartridge handy to reload for another opportunity. That rifle with my handloads will do just about everything I need. But, having said that, I enjoy trying multiple guns just for the variety.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
NWTF Member
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Cheap butt cuff on my 7x57 1A and the side benefit is it protects the wood a little from scratches. Usually just 2 or 3 rounds in it; haven't had the Ruger long but so far 1 has been enough, that could change though. smile

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
One of the gun writers from years ago hunted elephant with a #1 and he had an elastic cuff on the wrist of his forward hand with two rounds in it. He said that grabbing a round for a quick follow-up was easy with that set up.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use a 9-round elastic cuff on the buttstock. http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=230112

Like said elsewhere, it protects the wood and once you get used to it, it is fairly quick to use.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I carry the front three high so they�re easy to grab.

[Linked Image]

At least the first one anyway.

[Linked Image]

P.S. I'm left handed so the picture looks backwards.

Last edited by MickinColo; 03/17/09.
B
B
Hmmmm,

In my experience, shooting game with a single shot rifle (which I prefer above all others) requires patience and good accuracy with the first shot.

The first shot is usually taken at standing or grazing/feeding animals. There is a myth that a fast second shot will be beneficial. In my mind it is a myth, If you miss with the first shot, then you have little chance of hitting the target with a fast second shot as it will be heading for the next county at a great rate of knots, and probably bouncing up and down like a yo-yo.

For hunting the 'Big Five' in Africa with a single shot rifle, then a couple of spare rounds between the fingers of the forearm hand would be expedicious.

Harry

Last edited by Borchardt_Rifle; 03/18/09.

"One of the things that seperates mankind from the rest of the animal kingdom,
is his inate ability to 'cock up' even the simplest of jobs".
Eales Law. No.1.
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have carried mine Barney style, in the pocket. Have used a butt cuff on my No.1 but, they wont fit on my thumbhole stocked T/C wich I used on a recent hunt. For that recent hunt I used a fabric knife sheath I had laying around. Put a small piece of foam in the bottom to protect bullet points and quiet things down and 3 rounds of 7-08 fit perfect. It is much smaller and unobtrusive than a standard belt ammo pouch.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I carry a spare round in the corner of my mouth. I tried spitting the round into the empty chamber but I have missed in over 51 practice attempts.

I think I will just get a butt stock carrier like most of you guys.

Doc

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I make wrist bands besides the holsters, and the number of rounds that can be carried vary, but anywhere from 2-5. I made this one for a customer that wanted 2 rounds on the rifle, spaced as to not be problematic for grabbing. It is continuous wrap so it can back still worn on the arm.

[Linked Image]

I however, prefer the rounds lineal to the band when on the arm.

[Linked Image]

If I feel a need for more than 2-3 rounds, I carry them in a rattle proof holder in the daypack

Dave

Last edited by onesonek; 03/18/09.

Life is a journey of many trails, the trail you choose, is not as important as how you walk it.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have a cartridge belt that I have used for years. It holds 12 rounds. I made it myself..I also have a big heavy wool coat that has elastic loops inside the big covered side pockets. each pocket holds 12 rifle rounds.

I use the belt in Africa and hot climes, the coat in cold climes..

If I think I will need to load fast to save my butt, then I'm sure as hell not going to use a single shot, that just does not jive with me...that said, I have and would again hunt buffalo or elephant with a single shot as I don't see fast reloading a part of hunting them. One good shot results in no charges and if it does you have time to reload and wait until you cannot miss, I do that with any rifle.

I would not hunt Lion, or Hippo with a single shot, they are too fast and too damn hard to kill, even with a proper shot and I am not going to let them close on me like I would a buffalo.

But remember you also have a PH and probably a couple of buddies with rifles also, and in the short rows everybody starts taking a hand in the killing...

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The discussion about the need for a second shot reminds me that I cannot recall a time when it made much difference.

Most game --deer -- that I hunt here in the East are one shotters. Most flop over with any stinger rounds like the .280 and above. Some fatally hit with smaller bores do run and die, but their first burst of speed makes a second shot with any action very chancey -- and they too usually flop within sight. Now the clean misses... sometimes they stop to laugh at you and give you another try.

In general though I do like to be prepared to respond in the hoped for event that tougher game animals are at issue, or even to ill-informed criticism of single shots as inadequate.

1B

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

152 members (257 mag, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 44mc, 7887mm08, 6mmCreedmoor, 10Glocks, 10 invisible), 1,624 guests, and 1,103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,449
Posts18,528,844
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.