Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Chrome Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I always thought General Patton carried a S&W .357 Magnum. After a little research I found that his main carry was his single action Colt .45.

How much use if any did the .357 Magnum see in combat ?

You think that a small carbine such as the M-1 chambered in .357 would have been a pretty potent weapon.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by chrome
I always thought General Patton carried a S&W .357 Magnum. After a little research I found that his main carry was his single action Colt .45.

How much use if any did the .357 Magnum see in combat ?

You think that a small carbine such as the M-1 chambered in .357 would have been a pretty potent weapon.
I know of one story involving the use of a .357 Magnum in West Germany shortly after WWII:

Tex puts a Colt 357 to good use in 1950's Berlin.
I have an old friend named Jack that I've known all my life come over the other day, and ask if I would do a detail strip and clean of his Colt Model 357 revolver. He intends to pass it on to his grandson, and wanted it checked.
I don't mind him watching as I work, because he's been around and has some good stories, so we talked awhile, and he told me why he bought the 357.

Jack is a W.W.II vet who saw action in North Africa, Sicily, Italy, and Europe. After the war he stayed on as an MP with the Berlin Constabulary until the later 50's.

He told me about a shooting involving a San Antonio businessman armed with a new Colt 357 Model revolver, and some Eastern Sector "bad guys" in the early 1950's.

The Texan businessman was really a businessman, not a "spook", and was there to see a machine tool company that was just starting back up.

One night just before he was to leave Berlin, he had dinner in a restaurant in one of the largely bombed out neighborhoods, which still comprised much of Berlin. Pretty dark, and nobody around.

Apparently SOMEBODY didn't like him.
Maybe he saw or heard something he shouldn't have, or saw somebody he shouldn't have, but somebody decided to have him killed.

The hitters were tentatively ID'd as a Russian Officer dressed in civvies, probably KGB or GRU and two former SIPO Nazi Security Police, who had basically just changed employers, after the war.
It could have been official, or maybe something "on the side".

The Russian had a PPS submachine gun, and the SIPO's had pistols. They were waiting in the shadows of the dark street when Tex came out to get in his car.

The two Nazi secret police thugs were supposed to actually make the hit, but failed to get close enough before opening fire. They missed, which was an elephantine mistake.

The Texan took cover in a pile of rubble as the two SIPO gunmen attempted to flank him.
The Russian kept him pinned down with short bursts of the SMG.

Under shouted orders from the Russian, the SIPO's moved forward to finish the job. Unfortunately, one of them got too far ahead of the other, and the Texan suddenly leaned around the pile of brick rubble and put a 158 grain slug into his chest, blowing a large hole in him and killing him on the spot.

Jack and his partner were on patrol few blocks away and heard the SMG firing, when as Jack put it, "We heard this God awful CRACK".
They zoomed the jeep around the corner, just in time to see the end.

The remaining SIPO was dancing back and forth, trying to decide what to do. The Russian was screaming at him to get on with it, but he had just seen his partner blown apart.
Jack said that they all considered the Nazi ex-secret police, scum that were really tough and brave when facing unarmed Jews, but weren't so hot when facing somebody with a gun.

As Jack got his M3 grease gun ready and got set to jump out of the jeep, he saw the Russian run his magazine out and start to reload as he backed up.
The Texan popped up again and fired two shots into the Russian's chest from about 20 yards.
Jack said he heard the loud CRACK, and saw what looked like flashbulbs flashing, since the .357 Magnum ammo of the day didn't use low flash powder.
He said "That Russian BOUNCED when he hit".

The last SIPO man turned and literally ran for his life, hunched over and arms pumping. Jack said the Texan jumped up on top of the rubble into a kneeling position and fired two more rounds. Since the SIPO man was bending over as he sprinted away, one round hit him in the small of the back, and the other hit him at the base of the skull and blew the top of his head off.

Jack said it was all over but the shouting by the time he jumped out of the jeep.
The Texan got chewed out by the MP Colonel for illegally bringing a gun into Berlin, then got a good slap on the back for dusting off the Russian and the SIPO's.

Jack examined the Texan's Colt 357, and told me: "I got home from the Army on a Monday night at 6:00 p.m. and was at the hardware store at 9:00 a.m. Tuesday morning having them order me a 4 inch blue, target hammer, target stocked Colt 357. I figured any gun that could make a man bounce when he hit was OK".

His 357 is in about 92-95% condition in spite of nearly 50 years of use. You couldn't buy it for any amount of money.
He said the next time he comes over; he will show me the second SIPO man's Mauser HSc.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Neat story.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
IIRC, Skeeter Skelton once wrote an article about General Patton's revolvers and I believe that he carried both a Colt SAA in 45 LC and a 3.5" pre-27 S&W, but probably not at the same time.

Jeff

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
trh neat story.Thank you for sharing

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
IC B2

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
General Patton's Handguns are usually on display at the Patton Museum at Ft. Knox, (Radcliff) Kentucky. Patton carried both guns in a holster belt set made by Tio Sam Myers of El Paso Texas. They are now known as El Paso saddlery and make a similar two gun rig. Patton carried his Colt SAA .45 (circa 1916) on the right and his registered 3 1/2 inch .357 Magnum (circa 1935) on the left. He referred to the latter as his killing gun.

The .357 was relatively new when WWII started and few carried it into combat. If memory serves and I would have to research it, I believe Jeff Cooper may have had one and perhaps Charles Askins JR. as well. I am sure that General Stuart will have much to add to this string being more the historian than me.

To me the coolest pistol ever produced is the original S&W .357 Magnum with 3.5 inch barrel. Look at the cut in Keith's Sixguns and I am sure you will agree.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gen. Patton actually used his Colt SAA to kill a Mexican Bandito while he was in Mexico with Pershing before serving in WWI.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KyWindageII
General Patton's Handguns are usually on display at the Patton Museum at Ft. Knox, (Radcliff) Kentucky. Patton carried both guns in a holster belt set made by Tio Sam Myers of El Paso Texas. They are now known as El Paso saddlery and make a similar two gun rig. Patton carried his Colt SAA .45 (circa 1916) on the right and his registered 3 1/2 inch .357 Magnum (circa 1935) on the left. He referred to the latter as his killing gun.

The .357 was relatively new when WWII started and few carried it into combat. If memory serves and I would have to research it, I believe Jeff Cooper may have had one and perhaps Charles Askins JR. as well. I am sure that General Stuart will have much to add to this string being more the historian than me.

To me the coolest pistol ever produced is the original S&W .357 Magnum with 3.5 inch barrel. Look at the cut in Keith's Sixguns and I am sure you will agree.

Hello
General George Patton sent a Memo from the Defense Department that he wanted a Registered magnum and it shipped 10-17-1935 with a Mcgivern Gold sight walnut grips, now with ivory "magna" style grips engraved "GSP" w/adaptor fitted in 1941 owned by General George S. Patton now displayed in Ft. Knox, KY. It was sighted in at 50 yards with a Six O-Clock Hold using .357 Magnum Ammunition. Patton Liked Ivory grips as he said Pearl grips were for Whores..Thegeneral

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
That bandits jammed lever rifle and saddle were also on display as well (circa 1989 when I attended AOAC there).

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not a .357 but I have read that when Herman Goering was captured he was not carrying a Luger or a P-38 but an S&W M&P .38 Special. Always thought that was pretty odd.

IC B3

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Wonder where he got it? Not to digress or tangent the thread: a friend of mines father was an ordanance officer in the ETO during WW2. Melvin Purvis, then an Army officer, ordered and got 5 M&P's for "special" work. Why that gun or that caliber? Who knows....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Goerring was rich. He probably had a snubby from his own collection, pre-war.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Much of Hermann Goering's personal belongings were left intact.
During the Nuhremburg trials, FBI agent and US Army officer Melvin Purvis lodged in Goering's personal railway car, which was full of his belongings. After Goering committed suicide, Purvis saw to it that the items were given to his widow. Mrs. Goering then gave some of them to Purvis, including an 8x57 Mauser hunting rifle, Luftwaffe sword, handgun, and other items. A friend of mine now owns them, and I can post photos, but I am getting off the topic of Patton. Two of my friends also have some of Patton's calvary gear.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Goering was one smart cookie. Weird guy, but he was REALLY smart.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Lee24
Much of Hermann Goering's personal belongings were left intact.
During the Nuhremburg trials, FBI agent and US Army officer Melvin Purvis lodged in Goering's personal railway car, which was full of his belongings. After Goering committed suicide, Purvis saw to it that the items were given to his widow. Mrs. Goering then gave some of them to Purvis, including an 8x57 Mauser hunting rifle, Luftwaffe sword, handgun, and other items. A friend of mine now owns them, and I can post photos, but I am getting off the topic of Patton. Two of my friends also have some of Patton's calvary gear.

Please post those photos; Patton wasn't the original topic anyway.

Has there ever been a thread here on FBI's Jelly Bryce? Can't recall if he served in military in WWII.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bryce was on bad arse dood with a handgun. If you ask me, there's just not enough information on him out there. If you start a thread on Jelly, I'll participate.

C
CWG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Lee24
and I can post photos,

Yes, please do.

CWG

Cage-Divorce Deathmatch Survivor and Lib antagonist. Stock maker by sheer luck.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I snapped some quick photos of some items. I did not have time to get them out of the wall display and pose them on a drab background, but will do that later. I am setting up a folder for them on Photobucket.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You going to post those photos?

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I took some more, but am having problems with Photobucket.
I will try again this evening to put them up there.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (1badf350, 1OntarioJim, 12344mag, 1minute, 01Foreman400, 16penny, 64 invisible), 2,516 guests, and 1,434 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,191
Posts18,484,973
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.