Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by avagadro
I see. Have you checked with Clark Custom?? I do believe they at one time had 77/22 barrels, a bit more expensive than GM however IIRC frown Oh Canada .... eyes aren't that great, but I still like shooting the 10/22 and 39A with open irons

I have emailed Clark Custom to see if they will ship to Canada...the export laws down there are brutal to deal with.

Rob
GB1

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
if you want it just for hunting they are good guns. if you wanting a match rifle look else where.

i keep seeing pictures of groups shot that are 4 bullets wide with a 5th flier way off to the side and people saying 1/2 inch groups!!! how are you measuring these? most people take the actual size of the group from the furthest hole outside edge to outside edge and subtract .22 from it. if you slug your barrel and measure your bullet you'll find it is smaller than .22. that would make the group even bigger than the measurement of 1/2 inch.

Last edited by rangelonger; 03/11/09.
K
K
Originally Posted by avagadro
Isn't the Model 5 also imported???

Yes, it's an import from Serbia, I'm told. I purchased one in October for my daughter, mounted the scope using the Weaver-style mounting system and noted that the scope was pointing several degrees off to the left. After a couple of calls to Remington I was told to send it back. Over $30 of postage later to have a new, unfired rifle replaced I am sitting here in mid-March, still waiting. I was told this last week by a customer service rep that it appears to be taking too long (really?) and that he'll get on this. We'll see.... In the meantime, I think she's eyeing my Cooper. Hmm...

I've been lurking here for a couple of weeks, but thought I'd pipe up a bit on this one. I'm anxious to see how the rifle shoots, assuming we eventually receive it!

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun...or to fish with a wimpy fly rod.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
kc ...

Welcome to the campfire!! Hope your woes with the M5 get resolved soon. Heard the M5 was the rf once imported my CD ... is that true? Heard they shot well .... again Good Luck

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
K
K
I've heard the same thing. No word from them today, but I've quit holding my breath!!

Thanks for the welcome...I look forward to visiting frequently.

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly gun...or to fish with a wimpy fly rod.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome, hunted up there awhile back about 30 miles out of Burns. Great area, got a good buck and met some nice people.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
I bought a 77/22 about the first year they came out. That was around 25 years ago. At that time it was the only 22 I owned. Out of the box accuracy was 7/8" groups with CCI Mini Mags at 50 yds off a Hoppes bench rest and a cheapo rear sand bag. After several thousand rounds it settled down to 3/4" 50 yd groups with Mini Mags and about 7/8" groups with Rem Golden bullets. CCI Green Tag shot about the same as the Mini Mags. I did a trigger polishing job with emery cloth one night watching TV and switched the Weaver K3 out for a Leupold 2-7 rimfire. The groups stayed the same but were much easier to shoot. I have never shot a 1/2" group with that rifle. I have two Kimber of Oregon Model 82s that can do 1/2' and a Savage Anchutz that will, but I shoot the Ruger far more than all of those put together. Why? I love the 10 round magazine, the smooth action, and the great trigger. Several friends bought 77/22s after shooting mine and they loved theirs. I take it hunting more than any of the others and have taken more squirrels with it than any 22 I have owned before or since. That's saying a lot because I am a hard core 22 fan and small game hunter. I don't know how I could have enjoyed mine any more. My buddie's 77/22s do at least as good accuracy wise and they continue to enjoy theirs after a lot of years. I also own a 77/22 Mag that is very accurate although I haven't shot it much. I owned the heavy barrel version in 22lr for a short time but hated the fit of the stock and it didn't shoot any better. If you hunt small game and carry a rifle around with you a lot, the 77/22 is just great.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I agree with danl. If you hunt and carry one around alot the 77/22 is great. And IMHO there isn't a better magazine around. Between the 2 of us, the wife and I have 8 rimfire rifles. When I go hunting with a rimfire I almost always grab the 77/17 or the 77/22 mag.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pretty much my experiences: Some good ones, but more bad ones. Before Kimbers and CZs, they were about the nicest looking and "sturdiest" 22 rimfires on the market (never much cared for Rem. 541s).

Thought I wanted a 77/22 when they first came out, but was at the premiere gunshop in our area one night, when a customer brought his new 77/22 back and demanded a refund. They had an intense discussion about the new Ruger and the owner refunded the guy's money, as he was a long time customer and known to be an above average shooter.

His complaint? It was the most inaccurate 22 he'd ever fired.

Since them I've seen some in 22 and 22 mag that shot very well, have also encountered many others at our club ranges over the past 25 years, that were fairly inaccurate. Considering what the rifles cost, I've always felt they were too much of a gamble.

Several friends of mine have owned them, most gave up on 'em long ago.

Last one I shot at our range, was a SS heavy-barreled 22 mag in the laminated varmint stock, with Leupie target scope. Guy had spent about $400 extra on it for accurizing (trigger job, bedding, etc) and it still wouldn't consistantly hold a one inch five shot group at 100 yards, rested, with any brand of ammo.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (10ring1, 222ND, 160user, 1Longbow, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 71 invisible), 2,253 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,571
Posts18,531,909
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.