Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
It is uncanny how many of the deer I've shot have been "broadside," too, give or take a few degrees... NONE at a feeder or anywhere near-abouts...

Originally Posted by rost495
hasnt' caused a big issus all of these years to this point...

What a waste of money anyay.

"Whachu talkin' bout, Willis?" confused

aLaCarte
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by aLaCarte

And this goes for ducks and California Condors, too...

There is a movement afoot here, in the state of WA, to "reintroduce(?)" the CA Condor AND ban lead ammunition within the proposed release and habitat range of said birds...

there is some connection with the Condors. They eat a lot of gut piles in Northern AZ, and they have a gizzard, maybe the lead particles sit in the gizzard for a long time. Maybe they seek out the lead particles (looking for bone fragments?)

A lot of the birds they recapture, they test for lead and treat them to "get the lead out". They have had several die due to lead poisoning.

AzGF gives you a gift certificate (I think) for a box or two of no lead bullets, if you draw a big game tag on North Kaibab.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Minnesota elected Jesse Ventura and now it looks like they gave us all Al Franken...Nothing from Minnesota surprises me anymore...

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Sheesh: What next?
Steel bullets only?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by Sycamore
maybe the lead particles sit in the gizzard for a long time. Maybe they seek out the lead particles (looking for bone fragments?)

A lot of the birds they recapture, they test for lead and treat them to "get the lead out". They have had several die due to lead poisoning.

Sycamore,

Do you have a source for this information?

I'm really keen on learning more about it so I can try to find out if those "maybe's" are real. And what the Condors they're treating have been eating... A steady diet from lead-filled gut piles? A Condor is a HUGE bird (10 foot wingspan) and I wonder just how sensitive they are to lead fragments or #6 shot pellets...

I would really appreciate some info about where I can read more about the details of these studies and the birds that are dieing or being treated!

Thanks.

aLaCarte
IC B2

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
A good friend of mine is very involved with fighting such bills here in WA state. When I axed him the same type of question, he said there are lots of studies and some of the results are conflicting. So each side chooses to cite the ones that support their argument...

Problem with his comment is that I don't ever see "our side" citing any studies that refute the lead-poisoning!!!

Makes me think that some of the dinero that SCI et al raise oughtta be spent on a study... JMO, but I'm getting more curiouser about it every day!

Last edited by aLaCarte; 03/19/09.

aLaCarte
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
alaCarte go to the US F&G condor website click on the field notes starting in 2002 thru 2008, additionally since 2002 copper has been elevated in the birds guess what they are going after when their done with lead? danny

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Originally Posted by BigSky56
alaCarte go to the US F&G condor website click on the field notes starting in 2002 thru 2008, additionally since 2002 copper has been elevated in the birds guess what they are going after when their done with lead? danny

I'm a maroon, BigSky... Can't find a US F&G website on Google...

Could you please post a link?

aLaCarte
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
USFWS condors . danny

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Fixed link
Thanks danny!

I had to remove an extra "http:\\" from the start of your link. Posted it in the event anyone else wants to check it out.

I won't get a chance to read it til Monday, as I'm packing and leaving on a trip tonight.

Have a great weekend!

aLaCarte
IC B3

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
From the 2002 and 2003 pages, I noticed some things.

Condors die from many causes, and lead does not appear to be the leading cause (from what I see on the pages). At least not according to the causes of deaths that were determined from necropsies on the website...

For example, the birds seem to like to eat sharp bits, such as glass shards, that seems to cause a higher number of deaths than lead does.

The source of lead and copper found in the birds has not been completely determined (it is unknown how much or little of it is from sources other than bullets and shot). Hunters have been asked to do what they can to reduce the amount of lead the birds may be exposed to.

There was a photo on the 2002 page showing three small pieces of shot with a caption claiming that such a small amount is dangerous to a bird. No source for that statement was cited.

Quotes from the website follow:

The team immediately noticed the chick to be underweight and undersize and upon closer inspection foreign objects appeared to be lodged in it�s crop. The chick also was suffering from respiratory distress. It was decided to remove the chick from the nest and transport it to the LA Zoo for treatment. While in the zoo it regurgitated glass & plastic shards, poptops, bone, bark, leaves and other similar debris. For several days it seemed to be improving then it started to decline. On the 24th in one last attempt to save the chick, veterinarians performed surgery and it was during this procedure that they had to euthanize it, nothing more could be done.

The preliminary necropsy report from the pathology department at the Zoological Society of San Diego confirmed extensive and severe respiratory tract disease and a small perforation of the gastrointestinal track, possibly due to the foreign objects found in the chick.

Female condor 111 waits patiently (?) whilt biologist chekc the nest cave for trash debris. On the 26th, Deputy Project Leader Greg Austin, Wildlife Biologist Dan Tappe and Mike Clark from the LA Zoo hiked up to the nest cave to examine the nest for debris. The chicks mother, 111 was at the nest when they arrived. The biologists spoke to her as they came up so as not to surprise her and she moved outside and waited. The father, 125 arrived 15 minutes later as they were leaving. The cave floor was sifted through a screen and all that was found was a small piece of plastic and bits of bone.

On Saturday, July 19 male condor 267 was found dead, he had been released the previous month. A necropsy report determined the cause of death to be from a predator, most likely a coyote. The report also revealed the bird was in poor condition and this could have made him more susceptible to an attack. He had not been feeding regularly, even though food was readily available and in sight. All newly released condors are monitored closely, but it is not unusual for one of the release group not to be successful in
the wild. Sometimes a young bird will have to be trapped and returned to the zoo and occasionally one will die. The first year in the wild is the most perilous for the newly released condors.

On June 11 and 12 one of the largest trappings to date took place. Such a large scale operation was necessary in order to vaccinate all of the free flying birds in California against the West Nile Virus. Refuge Biologists along with biologists from the Ventana Wilderness Society and Pinnacles National Monument, keepers and vets from Santa Barbara Zoo and Los Angeles Zoo trapped over 30 birds. All the birds were vaccinated, tags and transmitters replaced and blood taken and tested for lead exposure. Both Mike Stockton, Supervising Wildlife Biologist for Hopper and Joe Burnett, Field Supervisor for Ventana were very pleased with the trapping, "Everyone worked hard and we got the job done."

Two birds were found to have elevated lead levels; 107 and a Big Sur bird 170 were transported to the Los Angeles Zoo to be chelated. Also taken to the Zoo were 202,who re injured his leg and 247 who had been observed limping in the weeks prior to the trapping. Both lead exposed birds were treated and appeared to be doing well when 170 was found dead in his pen at the Zoo. We are still awaiting a complete necropsy report to determine the cause of death.

"State and federal wildlife experts are asking hunters to help with the California condor recovery effort by taking voluntary steps to reduce the potential exposure of condors to lead ammunition. Two recently released reports independently conclude that lead ammunition is contributing to the high lead levels documented in some wild condors. Both reports conclude that more studies are needed to identify and remove all sources of lead contamination in the birds." excerpted from the California Department of Fish & Game June 6 news release. See Lead and California Condor Recovery.

Both male condors 202 and 238 were observed limping and were subsequently trapped and taken to the vets at the LA Zoo. 238 was x-rayed and found to have a broken hip socket. This injury will require surgery. This surgery is very rarely performed, most birds would be put down, but California condors are also rare. The vets have been conferring with vets in Europe, where this surgery has been performed. Condor 202 recovered quickly from a fracture of the fibula in his right leg. He was released back into the wild on May 28. It is thought that both condors may have fought with a golden eagle.

aLaCarte
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Geez how did all those people survive when lead was the only projectile used?????The sky is falling,the sky is falling!!!

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hope we don't go though all this again. Seems I recollect a thread about two months ago on the same subject where a troll was wanting someone to go away for a year if he produced solid data supporting this.I don't think he ever did and we have not heard from him for awhile

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Minnesota. Because liberals too scared of the ocean need a place to live too.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To all: This is some interesting info coming across the Campfire regarding the Condor studies. Until I heard from HaYen on this, I was under the impression that this was a Calif. "problem" only. Now this could be spilling over into Az.& Wa. state? Not to sound alarmed; but I truly was not aware that Condor's were any where near Az. or could possibly be intruduced to the state of Wa.!? This is very informative and I'm looking forward to more info on this topic. Thanks to all.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
As a side note,here is a reply from CO DOW when I complained about an article they ran in their Colorado Outdoors magazine .It did not site any studies done by CDC which debunked the MN study,nor did it say that SD reinstituted the game meat donation program.Shows what side the CO DOW is on.

Dear Mr. Mautino,
The information contained in the January/February 2009 Colorado Outdoorsarticle "Unleaded" gives the author's views on matters that may be of interest to both hunters and non-hunters. This is just one man's views of the subject and research about lead poisoning from human consumptionof wild game is still in progress by various entities. The Division's coverage of the subject of lead in game meat and its potential health impact on pregnant women and children younger than 6 years of age is socially responsible and serves to alert those who could be irreversibly harmed by human consumption of lead. You are certainly entitled to your own opinions regarding the validity of research about lead and public health and it's also your right to disagree with the recommendations of the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment and the Division of Wildlife. Whether or not others may hold some of your views on the article is a matter of personal choice and their right to agree or disagree with the author's writings and his sources of information. I hope that you find other articles in future issues of Colorado Outdoors that will provide enjoyable reading and I suspect the topic of lead bullets will resurface in various publications over time. Thank you for the opportunity to provide a response to your concerns.

Respectfully,Jerry
Colorado Division of WildlifeDenver
Call Center 303-291-7419
Jerry.CoffmanNaturenet.state.co.us

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by aLaCarte
Originally Posted by Sycamore
maybe the lead particles sit in the gizzard for a long time. Maybe they seek out the lead particles (looking for bone fragments?)

Sycamore,

Do you have a source for this information?

I'm really keen on learning more about it so I can try to find out if those "maybe's" are real. And what the Condors they're treating have been eating... A steady diet from lead-filled gut piles? A Condor is a HUGE bird (10 foot wingspan) and I wonder just how sensitive they are to lead fragments or #6 shot pellets...

I would really appreciate some info about where I can read more about the details of these studies and the birds that are dieing or being treated!

Thanks.

aLaCarte,

My source is "what I read in the funny papers". Actually our Game and Fish in AZ is pretty involved. Arizona has a major release site, North of the Grand Canyon (unfortunately, this is also trophy Mule Deer country, including the Kaibab Plateau, and the Arizona Strip.

AzGF has a pretty extensive site, can't say I've read everything on it.

AzGF condor page

Let me know what you think.

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
In prehistoric times, condors ranged from Canada to Mexico, across the southern United States to Florida, and on the east coast in New York. During this period, condors were a common resident of the Grand Canyon based on bones, feathers and eggshells found in caves where they nested. A dramatic range reduction occurred about 10,000 years ago, coinciding with the late Pleistocene extinction of large mammals such as mastodon, giant sloth, camels, and saber-toothed cats that condors fed on. By the time Europeans arrived in western North America, condors had retreated to a stronghold along the Pacific coast from British Columbia to Baja California. The birds managed to maintain a strong population perhaps due to large sea mammals that washed upon shore, however, the settlement of the west, shooting, poisoning from lead and DDT, egg collecting, and general habitat degradation began to take a heavy toll. Between the mid- 1880s and 1924, there were scattered reports of condors in Arizona with the last sighting near Williams Arizona in 1924. By the late 1930s, all remaining condors were found only in California and by 1982, the total population had dwindled to just 22 birds. The only hope was to begin captive breeding of California condors and to initiate reintroduction of the species. Reintroduction of captive bred condors began in 1992 in California, and 1996 in Arizona.

Program Goal:
In order to be downlisted from Endangered to Threatened, The Recovery Goals of the California Condor Program are as follows:

- Maintenance of at least 2 wild populations
- Maintenance of one captive population
- Each population must:
-number at least 150 individuals
-must contain at least 15 breeding pairs
-be reproductively self sustaining
-have a positive rate of population growth
- Non-captive populations must:
-be spatially disjunct and non-interacting
-contain descendents from each of the 14 founders

I hope others will find this as interesting as I do... Not that I intend to become an expert! I just want to be a little informed.

On the right side of the page there are a couple of links to SCI articles on Non-Lead Ammunition... I tried both links and they just go to SCI's Home Page.

I also clicked on a link under Lead Research called Where and When Condors Are Exposed to Lead. That page is apparently non-existant...

So, I'm ZERO for 3.... What's REALLY going on? How does one learn anything from this website?

aLaCarte
A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I'm kinda ruminating on the thought that SCI et al should oughta fund some research on this, but I need a basis for that recommendation...

aLaCarte
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sorry to say the bad science, like bad parenting, continues to proliferate.
I'm told I'm getting curmudgeonly.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

384 members (204guy, 222Sako, 22250rem, 163bc, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 38 invisible), 1,421 guests, and 1,093 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,850
Posts18,517,575
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.