Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
GuyM Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Do you hunt a lot with a single shot? If so, for what kind of game and in what kind of terrain/vegetation? What wouldn't you hunt with your single shot rifles and why not?

Just for sake of discussion, and hopefully to learn.

Personally, I'm just back into the single-shot game w/a 7mm mag Ruger. Primarily I hunt relatively open country for mule deer, coyotes and rockchucks, and now and again I'll go for black bear or elk. I'm comfortable taking the single-shot for any of those. I used to hunt mostly with a traditional muzzle loader, so the Ruger seems to reload like lightning in comparison!

Do seem to have some reservation about using the single shot rifle on big/dangerous game, but then again, I'm not really likely to ever hunt Alaskan brown bear or Cape Buff anyway.

Your thoughts/experiences?

Thanks, Guy

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I started with a Stevens Favorite as my first rifle but then dreamed of repeaters. After some time with them I saw the single shot rifle as a step up class wise. True there was no significant advantage to the single shot for hunting but I looked up to that type action.

One of my first was a High Wall. They were the Valhalla then.

Later I got an Aydt, Hepburn, R.#1, 40X's and others.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I hunt with a #1 in 7x57. I wouldn't hunt dangerous game without a PH as a backup. Otherwise I'd be comfortable with anything as long as the cartridge is up to the job. I hunt mainly Mesquite thicket, hardwood and pine forests. I have an invite to the rolling hills this next season and I'll drag old Uno along. I'm told there will be a 400 yard sendero so I'll bring a surveyors flag and mark 250 yard as my max. With an OAL of less than a yard, she swings fast. With a full stock she balances well for me. I have 'er topped with a 1-4 power. I might switch the scope out for a 1.5-5x20 later to get a little better eye-box. With a 7 Mag I'd probably opt for the 2-7x33.

<<<<<<<<<<<SPACE FOR RENT>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Prostrate8's advice is sound...

I also have a #1 Ruger International with a full Mannlicher-style stock in 7x57 and while I've never "hunted" it (so far), I will probably do so in the near future (either this or the next (2010) whitetail deer season at my bestest hunting buddy's cozy cabin which is located up on the High Plateau among the mountain laurel in the Moshannon State Forest in north-central Pennsylvania.

Being a bit older than most of you, I'm not sure how many deer seasons I have left to hunt. While my health is still relatively "pretty good", I've reached the age (73) where one's health can "go south" without much warning (as has happened to many of my friends)... and I've learned that one shouldn't make too many "long-range" plans.

I've held off using the little #1 RSI in the woods due to it's excellent condition and my desire NOT to scratch or "ding" it, BUTTTTTTT... I've finally had to ask myself... "Saving it FOR WHAT or WHOM?"... a question I really couldn't answer.

And so... either this season (2009) or next season (2010), the RSI is going to Pennsylvania with me instead of my pristine 1953 classic Savage Model 99 in .300 Savage, a rifle I have always felt is "THE" ultimate eastern deer rifle & caliber.

Frankly, I don't see that hunting non-dangerous game with a single shot rifle is a disadvantage. Most hunters who hunt with single shot rifles are exceptionally good shots and rarely (if ever) need more than one shot to permanently put down their game.

Jus' my 2�... smile

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I have used Ruger No.1's for hunting since 1972. I have never felt handicapped hunting with a single shot. For about my first 15 years of deer hunting, I used a Winchester Model 70 in .30-06; after a shot on game, I noticed I never reloaded, as I had the confidence that that one shot did it's job.
I have no expectations, nor desire, to hunt out of the U.S.A, but were I ever to, I would have confidence in a Ruger No.1 in the appropriate caliber. I doubt I would ever hunt the big bears, but again, a No.1 would be my choice. I am not quite as old as Ron T, yet, but his point is valid-at these ages, one just never quite knows how the health factor will play out. I expect that deer and antelope(and hogs!) will be the only hunting I do from here out and I am quite content to use a single shot.
ENU

El Numero Uno
a Serious Collector of the Ruger No.1 rifle;
a Modern Classic Sporting Arm
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
On an elk hunt I watched my oldest and best hunting buddy, and gun writer, Ed Siemon, take down an ENORMOUS elk at just over 180 yards with a Ruger #1 chambered in .375 H&H. He put his first 235 grain Speer through the lungs - which exited. The elk turned and started to run - Ed had another round already up the spout and put the 2nd round almost into the exit hole of the first round. Yep, those timers (Ed is 64) using those old timey single shots bring home the bacon.

If Ed ever gets to Africa he is planning on using the #1. Why not?

Bluesman

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Mr. Guy M;
I�ve been hunting with a No. 1 in .300 Win. for something like 9 years now and prior to that I had a fair bit of experience hunting with a friend who used a B-78 in .25-06.

I originally bought it for a saddle gun and when the Appy and I head up the mountain, it is still what is under my left leg.

On walking hunts, I would think I grab it out of the safe not quite half the time I head up into the local mountains here in southern BC. The local vegetation varies considerably depending on elevation, etc. so one can be on a clear cut or sagebrush bowl in the morning and then into some fairly thick shin-tangle in short order.

We have the opportunity to hunt many species at once here, so while I have yet to kill an elk, I do use it while I pursue them as well as moose, mule deer, whitetail deer, black bears and would take it for sheep if I ever get drawn.

We do have the occasional grizzly pass through the south Okanagan where we generally hunt, but I have yet to lay eyes on one, so it would be more a treat than a threat to see an interior grizzly.

I usually carry the rifle with the chamber empty and load it when I�m done identifying the creature in question and then ascertaining if it passes the antler restrictions we have on almost all our antlered animals. While that might seem like a slow way to do it, we generally haven�t needed to buy a lot of red meat, so it�s been working out OK I guess.

That said, one can load a No. 1 quite quickly with a bit of practice, somewhat faster than the Browning Hi-Wall I thought, as the access to the chamber is less obstructed.

Hopefully that was of some use to you and all the best luck on your future hunts, whichever tool you choose.

Regards,
Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have 1 or 2 bolt guns around and over thirty #1s from .22 Hornet to .375 H&H. I hunt with them too, once in a while. (grin).

1B

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
GuyM, I took a single shot to Africa. Killed 17 animals with it. No problems. I wouldn't hunt dangerous African game with a single shot, I have a Searcy double rifle for that.

ss

No words of mine can hope to convey to you the ringing joy and hope embodied in that spontaneous yell: �The Americans are coming; at last they are coming!�

I hadn�t the heart to disillusion them.

John "Pondoro" Taylor
Africa 1955
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by Ron_T
Prostrate8's advice is sound...

I've held off using the little #1 RSI in the woods due to it's excellent condition and my desire NOT to scratch or "ding" it, BUTTTTTTT... I've finally had to ask myself... "Saving it FOR WHAT or WHOM?"... a question I really couldn't answer.

And so... either this season (2009) or next season (2010), the RSI is going to Pennsylvania with me instead of my pristine 1953 classic Savage Model 99 in .300 Savage, a rifle I have always felt is "THE" ultimate eastern deer rifle & caliber.

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

Friend Ron,

So my arguments have finally gotton to you, eh? smile Well... Good on you! I appluad you for your sentiment and logical thinking. smile

Guy M,

I have a couple of dozen #1's (or so...) I hunted with my 1st #1 in 1978 (#1-V in 7mm Maggie..) and have used them intermittently ever since. I don't feel at all handicapped by hunting with a sgl loader. I would NOT hunt bears in Alaska, nor any of the Big Five in Africa with a #1, but I know others who would. Like El Numero Uno, I harbour NO desire to go to Africa. And make no excuses for it. smile Truly, I once dreamed of it, but alas, reality has been looked in the eye and dealt with.

I have actually taken only one game animal (A Michigan Whitetail) with a #1 (.416 Rigby) And the photo of that shot is near and dear to my heart. (And no, it didn't ruin any meat...) smile I have only two larger-bore #1's left... A 1-H in .416 Rem. and 1-AH or ABH, whatever one wishes to call it... in .45-70. (No sights...) There is nothing in lwr 48 that I'd refuse to hunt with a #1. The sense of satisfaction of hunting with a sgl shot is unbelievable and uncomparable... YMMV....

Grasshopper

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I started out with a single shot Marlin 22.
After several years of messing with bolt guns,went to a 54 flintlock, I then acquired a #1a in 06, that rifle accounted for a lot of antelope, muledeer, whitetail, and elk.
I used a 74 Sharps rifle for elk hunting this past fall.

I can't think of any reason not to use a single shot for anything a person might want to hunt.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
About 90% of the big game hunting I've done has been with my #1's in 270 and 30/06. The other 10% was with pistol or lever action.

I hunt antelope in open country (central MT), elk in the timber (central and SW MT), and deer in a variety of terrain.

There's nothing that I plan on hunting that I wouldn't use one of my #1's for.

Huntin' season yet?

The Freewheeling Tony Smith
Gunsmith/Machinist/Engine Builder
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why?

[Linked Image]

Cause it keeps them happy?

[Linked Image]

Would anything short of a full auto actually make the difference if things went bad?

[Linked Image]

How many times do you really need to shoot 'em?

[Linked Image]

Okay, I'll admit I generally whack these guys more than once - not that a single loader really hampers that effort at all.

And of course, when one is practiced, there is nothing like a quick, true controlled round feed for a second shot if needed.
[Linked Image]

I'd just ask, "why not?"

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I hunt mostly with Ruger #1's. I don't even really think about being handicaped with a single shot anymore. Elk tags are few and far between in AZ, but the last one I drew it was a no brainer to take a #1 in .338. Javelina, deer, whatever...I take an appropriate #1. Even last deer season - for the first time in my life I decided to "hold out" for a big buck. I'm not a trophy hunter, just a hunter. But this year I decided I wanted one for the wall. My single shot 30/06 got the call, and in a few more months I'll have that 29 1/2" mulie on the wall. And by the way, I'll man up and say I took five shots at that deer - the first and the last (I think) hitting. My shooting could have and should have been much better, but it goes to show that just because you're using a single shot rifle, doesn't mean you're limited to firing a single shot.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have used various #1's over the years. A couple of custom rigs built by great uncle sit in the safe. At present I still have one #1 in a .220 Swift that see a lot of use, for PD's and oher pest.

[Linked Image]

Other than that, I find the versatility of the TC Encore hard to beat, which have become my "go to" hunting firearm.

[Linked Image]
I really need to update this pic, as I have added a few.
From the top is the 30-40 AI, .218 Bee
6mmAI, .243 AI, 9.3x74R, and 7BRM. Since I have added a .30-06, .250 Sav. AIRLN, 6.5x57AI, .45-410, and a .308 is in process.
Those and I have added a second frame as to have one set up for rifle and one for pistol without change stock/grip.

Dave

Last edited by onesonek; 03/24/09. Reason: pic

Life is a journey of many trails, the trail you choose, is not as important as how you walk it.
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I put a .264 Win. Mag barrel on a #1 about 12 years ago planning on using it for my Antelope/Mule Deer gun. I hunt mostly in Central and eastern MT where the shots can be long and the wind really blows. It is too heavy for a traditional wood stalking rifle, but out on the plains over by-pods it really does the trick.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
[Linked Image]I've done the majority of my big game hunting with single shots. I believe dangerous game hunting with them is a stunt, however, and I don't plan to do it.

At least as it stands now, the Vaal Rhebuck ranks number 2 in the SCI handgun category.

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Dad trying out his new low wall.

Hunting with single shots for us is the chance to be torch-holders in a long-lived and revered tradition, simple as that.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love my Encores. Im up to 31 barrels and still have plans for a few more.

[Linked Image]

I was ANTI-OBAMA before it was CooL
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
Why?

[Linked Image]

Cause it keeps them happy?

[Linked Image]

Would anything short of a full auto actually make the difference if things went bad?

[Linked Image]

How many times do you really need to shoot 'em?

[Linked Image]

Okay, I'll admit I generally whack these guys more than once - not that a single loader really hampers that effort at all.

And of course, when one is practiced, there is nothing like a quick, true controlled round feed for a second shot if needed.
[Linked Image]

I'd just ask, "why not?"

Man those are some super pics! I especially love the first one!

Thx for sharing

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (7mm_Loco, 300_savage, 2ndwind, 673, 1_deuce, 01Foreman400, 13 invisible), 1,556 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,880
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.