Campfire Outfitter
Greenhorn's a machine.
Always love your pics Kurt.
Very motivational.

Proud NRA Life Member
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Greenhorn, your pictures are AWESOME! I love seeing public land giants like those!

Here are a few more

Net book typical
[Linked Image]

Another great typical
[Linked Image]

Ryan killed this deer on one of my leases but it was a DIY hunt. I wish I could have been there to see it. He actually passed this deer early in the hunt. Grosses well over 190" and its basically a 4x2, the third point is small on its 3 side
[Linked Image]

I will post up some pics of the big non-typicals we killed tomorrow. They are 232" and 234" giants

Drummond

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Greenhorn
There's some similarities here...
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Eerily similar! The live picture was taken in the mid 90's if I remember correctly. The deer was killed the next year and grossed 212" and netted 207" if memory serves me correctly. It was killed fairly close to Hermosillo

Drummond

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Greenhorn,
When you say eastern Montana are you refering to the Missouri river breaks or another area?
Those are some great animals.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I shouldn't speak for GH but I am pretty darn sure he's talking somewhere in between the Yaak and the North Dakota border... grin

Hope that narrows it down for ya.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm crappy with directions, don't know where the missouri breaks are. I hunt antelope mostly on private land. Anything east of Bozeman is eastern Montana. I grew up in froid, and that's more like west Dakota.

Drummond, that big 2X4 is cool. I like Ryan, camped with him for a couple days when I was hunting deer on the strip in 2005.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey fellas, I dropped the ball on getting those big non-typicals pics posted, I wrecked my shoulder and had surgery on it a few weeks back. I'll get em up soon though.

Greenhorn, Ryan is a good dude! He is a great guy to share a campfire with, his stories never get old.

Drummond

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Drum, good to see your pic's. i enjoyed your anual posts on MM this time of year, then i hear you went and got yourself banned! great bucks, keep em coming.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't forget location can be some of the "magic" as well. Twice I've had the opportunity to hunt the sand hills in west Texas for mule deer and came home empty handed both times for 2 reasons. First I was a guest and had limited time, second they are extremely picky about what they shoot. I have seen some great deer out there and the people who invited me consistently kill some great mule deer.

However, it does nothing location wise as for as a trophy mule deer hunt. Maybe that's just me.

Just like it's possible for me to get a landowner anteleope tag in TX from friends it does nothing for me either. I'd rather hunt in AZ, WY, or wherever for them.

I know. Crazy.

Otto is my co-pilot.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I simply love to hunt mulies anywhere they grow big, maybe that's crazy too.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I simply love to hunt mulies anywhere they grow big, maybe that's crazy too.

Amen!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey JG, Heres the pics I told you about. Sorry bout the long delay

Ray Atkinson, I am sure we would all love to see your pictures now. You've tried to take me to task on a number of occassions and I have put up to shut you up. Your turn big'un, post up the pictures of those hogs y'all have been knocking down! I cannot wait to see the photos of YOUR clients deer.

Anyway, here are the pics of the 2 best deer we have ever killed in Sonora

Highest grossing deer

[Linked Image]

Best deer we have ever taken, this deer was on the cover of the first ever "Sonora Issue" of Muleycrazy magazine. Ironically enough, the above deer was on the cover of the 2nd issue, we were pretty darn lucky

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Drummond

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Drummond,
Unbelievable bucks, buck of dreams!

Jeremy Gugelmeyer

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Drummond, WOW! What studs! You've been around the block my friend! Keep up the good work. (Just as a note, I grew up hunting that Frying Pan Ranch in W TX where Ray outfits, and know the Flag Ranch very well also). I know it very, very well. I need to get my hands on those first two Mexico issues of Muley Crazy. By the way, I ran into Darren Proctor a month or two ago.....he's never heard of you.

Last edited by JGRaider; 08/24/09.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
FWIW, the Texas Big Game Awards lists 4 bucks taken over 200" last season. 7 bucks were 190-200" and 7 were 180-190".

I'm kinda partial to the #8 typical from the panhandle myself wink.

LINK TO TBGA

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Those bucks over 200" were taken from a county that has never had a season until last year. That trend will not continue for long. A 190" is a realistic possibility, however bucks of that caliber are few and far between anywhere.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Those bucks over 200" were taken from a county that has never had a season until last year. That trend will not continue for long. A 190" is a realistic possibility, however bucks of that caliber are few and far between anywhere.

Agreed! Look at what they knocked down in Yoakum Country the first year it was open. They have not duplicated that kind of season since. Hopefully there will be some mgmt minded ranchers but you know what the dollar will do, there will always be somebody there to pay a pile of cash to hunt.

There will be a few 200" deer killed in TX every year but certainly not 2-3 208"-235" deer with spreads exceeding 40" inches off one ranch every season as one member(Atkinson) of this forum would lead you to believe. Come on Ray, I'm begging you to post some pictures and prove me wrong. Surely you would not lie to sell a hunt would you?

HS

Last edited by huntsonora; 08/25/09.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
FWIW, the Texas Big Game Awards lists 4 bucks taken over 200" last season. 7 bucks were 190-200" and 7 were 180-190".

I'm kinda partial to the #8 typical from the panhandle myself wink.

LINK TO TBGA

Blue,

So your buck scored 170 1/8"?

Helluva buck dude...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Sure did Greg. Helluva lucky hunter I'd say.

I'm going to CO this fall for the first time, but I'm still gonna try to head back to my little honey hole too.

Funny thing is, with the lack of H2O I'm having nearly as hard a time planning the Texas hunt as going to Colorado for the first time.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Sure did Greg. Helluva lucky hunter I'd say.

I'm going to CO this fall for the first time, but I'm still gonna try to head back to my little honey hole too.

Funny thing is, with the lack of H2O I'm having nearly as hard a time planning the Texas hunt as going to Colorado for the first time.

Where you coming in Colorado? Let me know, if there is any information I can pass along I'll gladly do it. I'm always happy to help a fellow Texan. Sounds like a heck of a deer u killed in TX! Congrats

HS

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (35, 69sportfury, AdventureBound, 6mmCreedmoor, 6mmbrfan, 257_X_50, 6 invisible), 1,466 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,514
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.