Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
That is a mighty impressive project you have! Wow!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
cant wait to se the finished results, this guy seems to really know what he is doing.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
cant wait to se the finished results, this guy seems to really know what he is doing.

Oh yes, James Anderson and Shane Thompson are both at the thier game.

Terry

C
CWG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
yer killin me

I have a CZ 452 that has a gorgeous stock on it...but...oh crap..
hope I can get caught up enough, and ahead enough to have something along the lines of a stalking sqirrel rifle done, quarter shorties, 3 leaf- but something modernish? i can see with my eyes wedding band on the barrel, case colored skel grip cap and butt plate, case the swivels before sweating the barrel band on (tough job) light engraving, hood front, like a beech combo, but again, more modern, and ditch that God awful floor metal etc...sigh, so many ideas and so little money and time, LOL

Cage-Divorce Deathmatch Survivor and Lib antagonist. Stock maker by sheer luck.
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Terry,

After seeing that CAD rendering, well let's just say it got me sweating a bit. As if it wasn't bad enough watching this thing slowly progress, you had to go n post that pic. God this rifle is gonna be beautiful. And I'd bet it'll shoot too. I've got a Mexican 1910 in the safe, which is a lot different, but I've got very similar plans for it. I really like the lines of your rifle.

I assume James makes those scope rings? I really like how stream-lined they are.

David

IC B2

TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Shane Thompson did the rings and most of the barreled action. He used a set of those old Warne QD rings and went to work on them. Shane has an eye for detail that's remarkable. The only problem is Shane has a full time carrier and a very young family that's got bigger since this job was commissioned. He's a world class gunsmith with absolutely no time to do anything extra.

James Anderson will be doing the 3-postion safety, bolt handle, the stock and anything he see's that will make this an over all better rifle. He reworked the trigger last week and he never even spoke to me about it. He just saw it needed attention and did it. I have complete trust in James and know he will do what it takes to make this a first class rifle worthy of the cover of any magazine. The cool thing about dealing with James is he has a CNC and CAD. You can discuss something and he can show you what it's going to look like. Too cool. As you can see from what he's done so far, I'm in good hands.

BTW, James isn't backed up the next three years like most of the guild gunsmiths are. If you've got a rifle that needs built he would be an excellent choice.

Terry

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm calling 'dibs' on this if something happens.....

Like you change your mind and take up hockey or cars or....

Come on America,
Athletes and actors are not heroes, only soldiers, airmen,marines and sailors get that respect�and let's add firemen and LEO's

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Now Terry, I've been telling everybody that James is 3 years behind. I need him available for my projects. If he would get done with your old doggie mini maybe he could get on my stock.
Your Buddy
Butch

TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Now Terry, I've been telling everybody that James is 3 years behind. I need him available for my projects. If he would get done with your old doggie mini maybe he could get on my stock.
Your Buddy
Butch

grin

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I think you should case color all the metal now. (grin) My meaning is that you've got a mighty "swanky" project going there, can't wait to see the finished product.

Last edited by horse1; 03/13/09.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
IC B3

TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
From the CAD
[Linked Image]

To the 3D version
[Linked Image]

A few small details and it'll on it's way to me. It's inletted for a factory barreled action at the moment. Mainly because I have one just like it. I can put my factory barreled action in this "try" stock and fingure print it for a few day's while the other barreled action doesn't have to make the trip across the country. Then if anything needs changed James can do that before nice blank goes under the knife.

This is going to be a VERY nice Mini Mauser!

Terry

TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Just a few pics of the pattern coming together. This is what keeps me hooked smile

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Terry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
this is such a cool thread. some day, maybe i will be able to make one like it.

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
X
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
X
Terry, wow what a classy slab there. Love the lines of that stock.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
A
I have two questions I just have to ask:

In picture #2, why is he using a end-mill in a drill chuck??

In picture #5, why is he using what appears to be a burr or rotary file and not an end-mill for that operation??

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
I was at Shane's today, one of the boys was crying, one was taking a nap, one was shooting hoops (in the house) & one was getting in the way of him working on 2 of my handguns! All 4 boys cling to him like lizards & he just keeps working away, I'd be a wild man, instead I'm just his dad keeping him away from more important projects. He just scowls when I show up with a pistol rug in my hands..... but in 3 weeks we will be gunning for bears again, that always puts a smile on his mug!

Dick

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Anchorage99,
Are you talking about this page[14]? I can't see either of what you are talking about.
Butch

TC1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Anchorage99
I have two questions I just have to ask:

In picture #2, why is he using a end-mill in a drill chuck??

In picture #5, why is he using what appears to be a burr or rotary file and not an end-mill for that operation??

Shane said he knew the mill police would come after him for using the drill chuck in a milling operation grin. He say's it's absalutely fine for non critical metal removal and is much faster.

On #5 I honestly don't know the answer but I will say it's hard to argue with the results.

Terry

I
I
Anchorage99,

I understand it's not good milling practice however this wasn't meant as a how to of machine shop practice. I can't say I'll never do it again, but I can say I'll never post pictures of it again wink. I'm amazed at how this has been more interesting to some than the actual project. As for the carbide burr, I use them a lot when dressing down welds. I have a lot of them and they are cheaper than good endmills. It's pretty hard on endmills when dressing down welds, the hardspots where weld material meets original metal can beat them up pretty bad.

Shane Thompson

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I'll second that on the endmills and welds.
Butch

Page 7 of 15 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (1badf350, 160user, 10gaugeman, 16gage, 10ring1, 60 invisible), 2,440 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,059
Posts18,501,193
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.