Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
West coast Hunters

Have you ever hunted here? Any friends that have?

Wanted to check it out this spring since I have heard of a few hunters having success here during deer season..

I got a permit from the fort and plan to pig hunt but am trying to find a camping area near by.

thanks

Ted
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've hunted Turkey and Hogs there, Never saw a hog but did OK on Turks. Saw quite a few Deer.
It is pretty country.
There is (or was anyway) camping on site
------------------
Closer to your home, did you consider hunting Vandenburg AFB?

Last edited by Tracks; 03/24/09.

O
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
O
Thanks

I had not tried Vanderburg, is it open to public also? I am not originally from CA so it looks like I need to do more checking.

Ted
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Ted,

This should be worth your time...jim
-------------------------------
CALDFG Offers How-to Clinic on Hunting Wild Pigs
The California Department of Fish and Game (DFG) will hold a wild pig hunting clinic April 25 at Monterey County's Fort Hunter Liggett. The clinic is offered through DFG's Advanced Hunter Education Program in partnership with the Pacific Coast Hunter Education Association and runs from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.

The clinic will cover the considerations and requirements for a successful wild pig hunt, techniques of locating the animals and different methods of take. Additionally, participants will learn about the biology of wild pigs and how to handle and care properly for the game. A barbecue lunch will be available for a $10 donation and attendees will also receive recipes for wild pig dishes.

The cost is $40 and space is limited. Participants 16 years and younger can attend free if accompanied by a parent or guardian.

Registration forms are available at www.dfg.ca.gov/huntered/advanced/index.aspx . After registering each participant will receive an e-mail with a map to the facility, a list of items to bring and a workshop agenda.

LCDR Jim Dodd, USN (Ret.)
"If you're too busy to hunt, you're too busy."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
old willys - I've had good luck at Hunter Liggett. Rabbit's, dove, pigs and deer. Although they have not held it in several years, they used to have an "antlerless" deer hunt there. Almost a sure thing if you got out early in the season. As I recall, I had the best luck in areas 9 and 29. There was a camp-site near the check in site.

A word of caution; make sure you don't accidentally shot one of the tule elk that run the reservation. I had a friend who did this in bad light and by the time they were done with him, he wished he had shot himself rather than the elk.

A second note of caution; this is a lead free bullet area. That includes bullets, sabots, ML and shot shells!!!

Last edited by kevinh1157; 03/25/09. Reason: add lead free comment

Kevin Haile
IC B2

O
O
Old willys, a couple guy I shoot with have hunted there for hogs and had good sucess. If you are new to hog hunting try to take the clinic class, otherwise crawl through the thickest brush you can find that has trails through and into it, and keep you eyes peeled! Handguns (44 mag) are good backup in the brush. Hogs are creatures of habit and follow the same trails alot making them very visable - carry a picture of a hog print with you to compare tracks. Their rub and wallow areas are also very noticeable, use your nose too. You can usually smell where they have spent some time.
Good luck!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

124 members (01Foreman400, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 308xray, 673, 2500HD, 9 invisible), 978 guests, and 943 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,088
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.