Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
justme Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Can any of you guys tell me is there a proper percentage to tip a guide or outfitter and is this practice always called for? Do they always just expect it? Thanks

...Justme
God answers kneemail

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
You're going to have a hard time getting consensus on this one... If you can wade through the BS there's lots of education in such matters to he had in the link below.

Try this thread...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The cook, the wrangler, the guide, camp jack and anyone else who offers good service while you are in camp will greatly appreciate a tip.

I stand to be corrected as always but have considered 15% (of the hunt cost) to be my minimum if the service is good. You can then divide that up accordingly among those who did their best for you. Tipping is highly personal but this may be a general guide line.

I might add a good hunt and a good effort by all doesn't alway mean game taken and vice versa. My tipping is irrespective of game take; it's dependant on the professionalism and the effort of the outfitters employees.

Have a good hunt.

GDV

Last edited by goodnews; 05/10/04.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Never have done a guided anything, well, one fishing charter. We let the Captain keep the left over drinks and tipped 10% of the days charge. I was uncomfortable with even that though, yes they guy did a good job but we did pay.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Tips are a nice and effective way of saying "Thanks" for services performed to or above expectations. The amount is situational. If asked, our outfitter would reply that tips are appreciated while reinforcing that it was always discretionary.

Personally, I believe it is the responsibility of the guide to give the client an opportunity to fill the tag. I don't believe that the guide should be expected to babysit the client or to become a servant and cater to every whim and fancy; few clients expect that but there are some exceptions. Guides that distinguish themselves often assume the role of mentor by helping customers acquire relevant skills and enriching their experience. Ultimately, the guide gives truth or lie to the brochure and there are guides that go beyond the call and those that don't measure up.

Too many variables dictate the amount of the tip, but, savy clients that intend on returning would be wise not to skinny up too much. Other than tips there are also gifts that may be appropos.

1,992 coyotes since 1964
1,000,000 rounds downrange
1,250,000 motorcycle miles
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
fellas,

I just read an article written by Jim Shockey, wha stated that an appropriate tip should be equal to 10% of the hunt cost for the guide and $50 - $100 for the cook and wranglers.

That is about what I have been doing (sometimes more) and I have never seen a long face on a guide yet.

Tony.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I can appreciate the concept of tipping, especially as it relates to dining out as you have more control of the level of serivce, otherwise, the 15-20% would simply be added to the bill to cover the cost of the wait staff. For guided hunts, I expect a level of service for my hard earned $ and I want to know the cost of the hunt up front. If an additional 15% is expected, then add it to the bill. If someone asks me to cut their grass, they would expect that I do a good job and put forth extra effort if I want to keep the business. In Destin, FL, the fishing mate expects a tip of 15-20% of the cost of the trip for cleaning your fish. Let the captain pay the fee and add it to the cost of the trip. This reminds me of the curb side baggage check extorsion at Atlanta Hartsfield airport. The thugs there are looking for cash or your bags are heading to parts unknown. They are already paid an inflated union wage (no I am not anti-union where a union makes sense so don't get all riled up about that).

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
257Bob

If I understand your post correctly, you would prefer the gratuity to be included in the overall price so that you have a packaged upfront price to be paid.

What I like about discretionary tipping is that it provides an incentive for whomever is performing the service. I don't automatically tip at restaurants or for haircuts or anything else. When guiding I don't take the tip for granted. I believe it keeps service providers focused on doing work to a level of expectation that earns the bucks and seldom am I disappointed by the response. In fact, if anything sometimes I believe the money so proffered to be excessive in some cases, an expression of gratitude for memories that will last a lifetime.

Depending on the outfitter, there is some discrimination as to which guide will take which party. There are return customers that have demonstrated their ability to hit the hunt hard and a guide that can stay ahead is required. Other groups may be less motivated and another type of guide more appropriate. Gratuities will vary on how well matched the guide is to the group being guided.

1,992 coyotes since 1964
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What a subject ! Having been the guide the experience runs the whole gamut at times I have more than likely received 10% and a few times less than. It's funny but it always seems the average working guy is more generous with his appreciation than the professionals that you would figure would have more discretionary dollars. IMO you shouldn't feel obligated to tip, but as mentioned if you can see personell going the extra mile to help give you a good experience it is nice to reward good behavior, whether your guide the cook or your packer. It's your money and you should let the experience, your view of who worked hard for you, whether the guide or someone else in camp dictate if you want to show additional appreciation. None of the folks in camp would be there if not for the dollars you have already spent, it's up to them to earn extra. But for all those clients that surprised me with their generosity, it conveys alot more than money after the dollars are spent, it meant your client had a good time and knew you worked hard to help him make a dream come true. Those are the memories of guiding I will cherish forever. 1akhunter

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
justme Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks all of you guys who have responded, I appreciate your time. A lot of different views here and I'm about where I was when I started. It seems that more and more people are expecting something extra now days, If I don't give my mail man a bottle or something for Christmas my mail suddenly gets delivered two blocks over and it's real easy for my barber to leave a gouge in the back of my head where I can't see it. When I pay at a restaurant with a card they come right out and ask do you want to put something on here for a tip, pretty hard to say no. I personally think tipping is poor taste and I wonder how the practice ever got started. But it does appear that it's common practice when useing a hunting service and 15% sounds common, thanks everyone.

...Justme
God answers kneemail
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Handloader, I know the subject is complex and good service should be rewarded. However, when you lay down thousands of dollars for a guided hunt, you have certain expectations of a level of service. The most that I can hope for in providing an exceptional level of service is a repeat customer. I hunted with an outfitter in canada several years ago. on day three, he had one of his helpers drive me to my stand in the am. I spotted a deer in a field while we were passing by and he stopped the truck. he told me to shoot it, I really did not want my hunt to go down that way but it was nice buck and we had permission to hunt the field. long story short, I missed it. I simply could not figure out the light or distance or whatever as it was at first legal light. my heart was really not into it so I wrote it off as a bad experience. anyway, this fellow had to run off to his day job and he came into camp to say good bye and stood around with a stupid smile on his face looking for a tip. as far as I was concerned, all he did was drive me to my stand one morning and I spotted the deer. finally, he got tired of grinning and eventually left. on day five, after 46 hours on the stand (we hunted all day in the stand in 10 degs), I shot a great buck and was a happy camper with a hard earned trophy and great memory. I gave the outfitter a nice tip, several hundred, as he was the one who provided 95% of the services. the grinning numbnut still gets on my nerves when I think about the experience today.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
[quote]Handloader, I know the subject is complex and good service should be rewarded. However, when you lay down thousands of dollars for a guided hunt, you have certain expectations of a level of service.
------------------------------------------------------------------------

257Bob

I believe we are on similar wavelengths on this subject. As a guide I believe I have gone the extra mile with each and every client and in some cases a heartfelt "thanks" really has been sufficient. When one is in the service industry at whatever level it is wise to do the best job possible without expectations of reward. That little extra that is given is appreciated but never demanded or even implied. Along the way there are a lot of great people with whom you cross paths and the real rewards are remembered long after the cash is gone.

1,992 coyotes since 1964

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

594 members (1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 58 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,531
Posts18,491,186
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.