Page 11 of 173 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 172 173
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Well Larry... When I was at the All Prone LR match in Deep Creek last September, I saw exactly ZERO guys shooting 7-08s at the 6,8,and 1000 yard line. Between 260's (6.5-08s) 6.5 Creedmoors, one 6.5-284 everyone else was shooting 6XCs. The top ten scores at 1000 were all 6.5's...

Wonder why that is???

'Cuz you two are going all around the barn comparing apples (target shooting) and oranges (shots on game).

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
HR IC

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I hope the .260 doesn't disappear. I want to get one when I can afford it. Remington really handled that one in a dumb way, they standardized the caliber as the .260 Remington, then just didn't promote it. The less versatile and less powerful .243 is much more popular. That 700 VTR would be nice in .260, also the R-25, SPS, maybe a couple other guns.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BMT
Originally Posted by DanAdair
Well Larry... When I was at the All Prone LR match in Deep Creek last September, I saw exactly ZERO guys shooting 7-08s at the 6,8,and 1000 yard line. Between 260's (6.5-08s) 6.5 Creedmoors, one 6.5-284 everyone else was shooting 6XCs. The top ten scores at 1000 were all 6.5's...

Wonder why that is???

'Cuz you two are going all around the barn comparing apples (target shooting) and oranges (shots on game).

BMT

True... But like Mark always says. "We're pole-vaulting over mouse turds here..." For the record, the 6.5-08 CAN hunt, for all the reasons that makes a 7-08 a good caliber, and that was the point I was making.

I'm just getting tired of Stick's bullcrap. I'll admit, I've never owned a 7-08. Never needed one with a 308 and a 260 (soon to be two) Funny how every head of game I put on the ground took one Partition and died wink

But at least he's not telling us all that you need an Ooober-redundant psycho mag to kill critters with. That I can like smile The attitude though...

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a few 7/08s, then some 6.5x55s, custom 6.5/308, then the 260 came out.....then I just downsized all and let the 6.5's go.....then a bulb went off, why did I NEED a 7mm over the 6.5's? So, not long ago, sold off my last of 7/08s, great shooters btw, and back in the 6.5's. Can't say I miss the 7/08, but if I NEEDED ammo and did not reload..I might ponder one again, even before a 308.....but I never foresee that being a REAL issue as long as we have some gun rights.

It's all personal preference, but if I can't get done what I DO, then I'll get something with a 338 or 358 hole in it. Can't imagine needing a 375 or 416 but I have no plans for Africa.

Must admit to having to contain my grins and laughs at the range when guys drag out their Big Booming and Heavy Super Whiz Banging
Magnumitis guns that kick the snot out of them, and I shoot circles around them.

Knowing good and well, even my 6mmBR will kill deer to the length of the furthest backstop at my local gun club,...I did it a few years back, 105 amax, 2840, dead in 25 yds from hit....double lunged, good thing game cannot read the Gack! Lol.

Maybe that deer did know, a .500 BC Amax slowed to an impact speed allowing to penetrate/exit, yet expand and shed much of the 1,000 lbs of remaining energy. Seen a post/pics on here where a guy dumped an elk w/243 AI and 85 TSX, another site about a 6.5 Creedmore, elk at 500+ yds......each shooter knew their weapon, picked a good bullet, and steered it well.

They will all work, when you steer a good bullet thru vitals, I just rather focus on that, and not get distracted losing my hearing and needing shoulder/neck surgery in the process.

That old adage, beware of the man with one gun, is one the military adopts it seems: 308 has worked well, because they give soldiers Sniper rifles, mil dots, knobs, and likely only ONE ammo to learn/train with and it's effective....the KISS philosphy.

Had the 6.5/308 been around FIRST, for bolt sniper rifles, I doubt the 308 would have overtaken it, when you look across the ranges that snipers train out, out to 800-1000 yds, IIRC, the 6.5s truly leave the 308s far behind in drop and wind, BUT again, I would NOT want to be on the wrong end of said 308 rifle/load and soldier, I think I'd be in trouble.

Heck, watched a video with a guy using a 50 cal, Canadian sniper, had a confirmed hit/kill on a Taliban I believe, at around 1.5 miles, 2340 yds or something insane. Impressive indeed.

Ultimately, the shooter is the determining factor, and we all must use whatever makes us happy, and works best for our needs, as those sometimes do vary. With practice and skill, most anything can be made effective if it's aimed properly. Some just like the 'less is more' philosophy as in less recoil, blast to ears, etc. not to mention allowing the shooter to often practice more and flinch less.

I like to be effective, and efficient in the process, and you can have both.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Larry,

I had the 208s loaded to 3.00" touching lands. For [bleep] and giggles I pushed one down to 2.80" OAL and the ogive was just barely starting to to get into the neck. it's a long ogive. It's cramped in the factory short magazine. One of Glen's DBMs would probably work well.

155 Scenar at 2.80", and 208 AMax at 3.00"
[Linked Image]

IC B2

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Wicked Looking rounds there Shane.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Prolly punch it 7WSM and rock on.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Dan,

The straight 284Win is THE Giant Killer,but the discussion thus far wasn't solid bottom single shot Range Queens in Belly Benchrest,until you felt compelled to abandon your 308 illusions and grasp for more straws.

Rest assured I'm far from suprised,that you've zero inkling to particulars in your Fantasy Rifle...who didn't see THAT coming?!!?

I call 47 different flavors of bullshit on your Agging .2's and .3's with PT's,let alone anything else. Am digging the 2800rd puke as well.

So now you've abandoned the 308,know full well better than to muse the 7-08,are now dreaming about the 260,have totally declined to put anymore feet in your mouth in regards to Mills/Woods(despite your "vast" experience) and now you fret my relative shelf life as your last glimmer of hope?!!?

It'd be far easier for you to simply comment upon those things in which you've a clue,whatever that may be and refrain guesstimations amongst the steeped.

Hint.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The 260 can't disappear. 243Win's bump up nicely and 7-08/308 comes down just as well.

In a SAAMI chamber I always like to neck down,so as to gain a little neck thickness,to help defer inherent chamber slop.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I love the 243AI and the 85X will seldom stay in a Moose. The 105A-Max is wonderous and the chambering is a great LR combo for both Tags and Play.

The 308 "wins" by default in some circles,none of which has anything to do with relative performance,but rather mandates. Choices are easiest to make,when there are none.

Where things reliably get interesting,is when one starts gunning combos side by each in like conditions. I routinely suffer such malady,mainly because such things are of interest to me and secondly because I am plagued by having more than one choice. I've shot with an openmind from day one and have learnt a few things in that time and the top of that knowledge base,would be the constant that not all things are equal. Inherent virtues bear fruit and most miss the obvious(do a Search on Dan's Post,for glaring insight into that).

What matters most is the bullet,the bullet,the bullet and folks are in a hurry to forget that. Nothing humors me more,than handing someone their ass at the range or in the field,with an "itty-bitty" chambering,while they phumble [bleep] a Boomer(which is reliably stoked with poor boolits to boot).

We are spoiled in this day and age with available componetry and accoutrement to make them shine. One can build/field a platform that will reliably tax a 1200LRF's abilities to keep up and do so for modest funds if inclined and with amazingly reliable results.

Just might have to upload a few clips for poor Dumb Dan.(grin)

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I had hopes my FN SPR was gonna have a 3"-ish DBM,but it's 2.8" as well. Glen's is gonna be longer,the M5 gets you some,the HS is routinely 2.9"-ish and those extry fractions is handy when chasing ogives outta casemouths.

My next 243AI is gonna be GAP swirled,as heavy as Kelly could make it and wearing Marty's M5 bottom(though I hate them). Will go MTU contour or better and am hoping for 20lbs at 23.5".

I'll call it Sling Shot.(grin)

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Sounds like a fun one.

A while back Glen was talking on the Hide about some of the projects he's got going. One that caught my interest was an ADL type magbox with an external fixed metal floorplate. If memory serves me it would accomodate 3.1" oal, and hold 5 down, without any mods to the receiver.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Here's the description from Glen:

"WSM ADL trigger guard (ballpark price TBD)
This was built to eliminate the feeding problems associated with most WSM builds. The trigger guard replaces your BDL system with minimal inletting required. The mag box is built in and the feed lips are not only adjustable, but also replaceable. This is perfect for shooters not wanting a DBM and no worries about dumping your rounds on the ground in the field. Also, 3.15� OAL!!
This will also be offered for standard calibers later in the year.

Details/pics:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=878167&page=1

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TryMe
What matters most is the bullet,the bullet,the bullet and folks are in a hurry to forget that.

Tis true.

BMT

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've been trading PM's and the like with Glen for some time,in regards to several of his DBM's and everything I've got from him in both Theory and Application have been spot on. No secret I think highly of his 223/223AI DBM's. I very much applauded his initial hinting to opt an ADL version that shared the longer COAL constraints,especially in the 7WSM flavoring(he shoots the chambering as well).

[Linked Image]

Where'd Dumb Dan go? Figured I'd show her a pic of a real rifle,so mebbe she'd know what one looks like and could holster those Fantasies she bolsters.

I bet she's writhing in pain,due to the fact that stupid has gotta hurt.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Holy [bleep].

Can you post a few more pictures for us? Please?

We all feel so inferior to the guy with a big PhotoBucket account.

What a sign of an insecure little prick, having to post endless pictures to somehow "prove" something, and attack any who are so brazenly bold as to DARE to differ with his highness. crazy

Go ahead, turn your attack towards me. I could give two [bleep], loser.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Feel free to find an inaccuracy.

I'm rather at ease discussing water that has flowed under the bridge and am not predisposed towards guessing.

Knock yourself out toots and start pissing up another rope.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
"Federal used (to offer) a High Energy .308 load with the 180-gr. Partition at 2740 fps at the muzzle; there was nothing in any load that the 7-08 could match with that."

Not so fast, a 140 Barnes TSX with Rl 19 gets me 2900+ from the 7/08, flatter trajectory and as good if not better penetration, terminal performance. And it fit's my short actioned rifle....the primary reason why the load you mentioned was dropped?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
While I can work with either the 308 or the lil 7 for most work my opionion is if it came down the 308 HE load mentioned at 2740. And or the lil 7 @ 2700 with a 160 (which I've not done but have heard from good sources is doable) then if I had to choose I'd choose the lil 7 each and every time.

My thoughts are, it'll drift less, it'll kick less (not that either has much to deal with), and I feel that given similar bullet style it'll penetrate further. (and for what it's worth I am talking for hunting here and I don't take much game past 500 albeit I do shoot a bit past 500 at various other targs)

Plus for some reason or another I just love the 7's and can't find much love for most 30's.

Just my 1.5 cents

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
If Penetration is the issue . . . . .

A 150 grain TTSX at just a tad over 2900 fps will do just fine.

But most of this is just ballistic garbage talk anyway.

Very few shooters can make the shot.

Those that can make the shot rarely get the chance.

Ole Stick lives in clearcutsville--He can both practice and get the opportunity.

BMT

Page 11 of 173 1 2 9 10 11 12 13 172 173

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 160user, 1936M71, 007FJ, 62 invisible), 2,428 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,444
Posts18,489,584
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.