Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Markh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I need to replace the factory tuperware stock on my short action Savage. Weight is not the issue, it is a groundhog gun in 17 Rem w a sporter weight barrel. I was thinking about a Boyd Lam stock...maybe a thumbhole. Should I also look at a Bell/Carlson syn? I am looking for function and stability.

Mark H

GB1

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I've got a thumbhole on one of my rifles and I personally don't care for it. It's also got the high-swept cheekpiece too though, and it's the cheekpiece that gets in the way more than the thumbhole stock. I don't like that I have to take my hand (and grip) off the stock and reach up to switch the safety off and on on the thing. With a standard stock, I can just flip the safety with my thumb without ever having to move the rest of my hand or take my eye off the target, move the gun, etc. All of that is more awkward (for me anyway) with the thumbhole.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have a B&c on my .257 wby and like it just fine...

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Mark,

It's tough trying to advise you on what stock to buy as that is hugely personal to you.
Given that, I am a Bell and Carlson fan. But, that in no way is intended to diminish the stocks that Boyd makes.
The basic question is, do I want a wood or synthetic stock? After answering that, I can go from there on specifics.
My 22 BR with a B&C stock:

[Linked Image]

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Markh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
so you guys are happy w the stability of a B/C? even a basic Duramaxx? Because i am NOT happy w the factory plastic stock on the gun now.

IC B2

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Markh
so you guys are happy w the stability of a B/C? even a basic Duramaxx? Because i am NOT happy w the factory plastic stock on the gun now.

What are you fishing for? People to agree with you? frown
Because you don't like B&C stocks, we should dislike them too??
I told you before that it's a personal thing with you, not me...

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
FWIW, I have 5 Savage 11s that I use on a regular basis and all are in factory synthetic stocks. I have glassed graphite arrow shafts into the forearms and sanded/painted all of them. Unless you're going to jump up to a McMillan grade stock, I don't think that the gain over the Savage factory stocks that have been modified with arrow shafts or aluminum "U" stock is worth the cost.

Jeff

Markh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I must not be making myself clear. No I am not fishing for people to agree with me. Im fine with plastic stocks. I have used them on different guns alot over the years. What I am not happy with is the factory plastic stock on the Savage now. I want to put a different stock on it in the $200 or under range. In that range is Boyd and B/C. I know B/C makes different stocks with the Duramaxx on the lower end and the new Medalist on the upper. I think I can pick up a Duramaxx on the cheap so that is why I mentioned it.

I type some of my responses at work when Im on the go so they may not alway be as clear as my mind thinks they are when Im typing them. Sorry if I aggravated anyone. Thanks for the response. And I will look into the arrow idea...never thought of that. Thanks to all.

Mark H

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Graphite arrow shafts and aluminum "U" channel stock are very useful for stiffening injection molded stocks. The geometry of the Carbelite stocks doesn't move me, but the Medalist stocks for the Mauser 96 and 98 are a pretty good value for the $$.

I'm also not a big fan of Boyds JRS stocks, as I find them to be bulky and the inletting can range from nearly perfect to damn poor. That said, Boyds stocks are nearly drop-in compared to anything that I've bought from Richards Microfit.

The geometry of the factory Savage injection molded stocks works for me and the glassed arrow shafts make it much stiffer.

Jeff

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Are you fellas referring to the B&C Carbelite stocks?

I'm eying one right now for a budget build. The action will get bedded and the barrel will be floated anyway.

Sounds like they are workable?

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For the kind of money B&C wants for their stocks and the dozens of them I've installed, I have to say B&C. It's not my first choice, but it is four times cheaper.

In the real world, where not everybody can afford the top makers, B&C makes a vary good stock.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I have a Duramaxx on my Savage 22-250AI and it is excellent for the price I paid. I got it for 89.95 from midway. It is pillar bedded and all I did was float out the tang. I will shoot 52 gr noslers better than I can.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
Markh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Jeff, I tried to send you a pm but it was kicked back. How long to cut the arrow shafts? and how many do you use? Do you use AcraGlas to put them in? Also..do you just use acraglas for the action or do you reinforce that area too? Sorry to be so rapid fire with my questions. If you have a picture of the inside of a stock youve done and could post it or send it to email that would be a great help. Thanks for your insight thus far.
mdhopper1hotmail.com

Mark H

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I was very impressed with the price and inletting on the Boyd stock (pictured in my "Cheetah" thread) and the way it finished.

It was a mistake - on their part.

I ordered a "Sundra Style" - and got the "Thumb-hole".

Boyd's offered to make it right - but, after looking at what they'd sent, I kind of enjoyed the futuristic style and uniqueness of the thumbhole style - so I finished it.

That said - I think thumb-hole stocks don't offer any real advantages - and as some have stated, they do have a few minimal, but real, disadvantages.

I enjoy the one I've got - but I won't order another thunb-hole.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
P
P
there is a guy by the name of fred moreo in ohio that is a savage only guy, he may point you in the right direction.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Did you get my email?

If so, did it help?

Jeff

Markh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
jeff, i did not get the email.....bummer

Markh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
thanks phillip, do you have any contact info for him?
mark

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Sent again, they say that 3rd time is charmed, so maybe it'll make it this time!

Jeff

P
P

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (160user, 1234, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 06hunter59, 72 invisible), 3,372 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,633
Posts18,533,253
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.