Print Thread
Hop To
L
lwr308 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
I need to drop 25#'s,and work on building up my cardio, stamina and strength. I have been hitting the cadio machines and weights but am tired of them. I want to be on a program but outside.
Thanks

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i'm 59 and have been doing the following for over 30 years. i still weigh the same as back then. start slow (with a few) and build up until you can do 75 sit-ups without a rest. again, start slow and build up until you can do 75 push-ups without a rest. lastly, start walking, then progress to running, until you can easily do 3 miles. when you get to the point where 3 miles is easy, start running the middle mile faster (and faster). great for cardio and overall fitness. others will no doubt have different ideas/suggestions. oh, and the hardest part is getting started and sticking to whatever you decide. good luck.

L
lwr308 Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
L
Thanks- Man 75 push-ups w/o a rest is great. Good for you.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Eat less. Move more. Repeat.

I have the best luck trying to mostly eat lean meat, fish, chicken, lots of veggies (as many raw as possible), some fruit, and avoid starches. I try to make my fat intake mostly from fish or olive oil the best I can.

Weight lifting adds muscle which burns calories. Muscle is expensive tissue to support so if you have more of it you burn more calories a day even when you aren't working out. Lifting also helps you work muscles, joints, and connective tissue that cardio types of work don't hit effectively.

So lift weights three time a week.

If you want to lose weight instead of just keep your heart healthy you'll need to do over 2 hours of moderate cardio a week. I do better with 3 hours. You can ride a bike, run, use an eliptical trainer, or whatever. Anything that uses the large muscles in your legs and gets your heart rate above 120-130 beats a minute.

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by hotsoup
i'm 59 and have been doing the following for over 30 years. i still weigh the same as back then. start slow (with a few) and build up until you can do 75 sit-ups without a rest. again, start slow and build up until you can do 75 push-ups without a rest. lastly, start walking, then progress to running, until you can easily do 3 miles. when you get to the point where 3 miles is easy, start running the middle mile faster (and faster). great for cardio and overall fitness. others will no doubt have different ideas/suggestions. oh, and the hardest part is getting started and sticking to whatever you decide. good luck.
Looks like the best advice you can get! Not extreme, but a lifestyle that can easily be incorporated to daily life. Gotta get my wife doing something like this.

IC B2

S
S
I have recently found a great website which helps on weight loss, nutrimirror.com. It allows you to easily log in the food you eat each day and automatically compares it to how active you are. If you want to lose weight, input your goals (# lbs by xx date) and it will compute how many calories a day you can eat for that goal. It has helped me lose 20 lbs in 3 months.

If you have a basic level of cardio already established, intervals work great...use a factor of 1 to 3, i.e. 30 seconds intense followed by 90 seconds at much lower level. Find a small hill or a set of stairs...run up, walk down...take alot of motrin.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I left an active lifestyle for an OTR driving job. I realized right away I would be growing more than would have been healthy. I just made a few choices. I limit myself on all fried food. If you will ask you will be surprised what most waitresses will substitute for french fries. Salad, cottage cheese, and occasionally some real tasty surprises. Sometime I will go a month or more without a soda of any kind.

For be walking has helped with my health more than any other exercise. Give it a try.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by SteelyEyes
Eat less. Move more. Repeat.

I have the best luck trying to mostly eat lean meat, fish, chicken, lots of veggies (as many raw as possible), some fruit, and avoid starches. I try to make my fat intake mostly from fish or olive oil the best I can.

Weight lifting adds muscle which burns calories. Muscle is expensive tissue to support so if you have more of it you burn more calories a day even when you aren't working out. Lifting also helps you work muscles, joints, and connective tissue that cardio types of work don't hit effectively.

So lift weights three time a week.

That's exactly what my diet is like. I do my best to stay away from breads and deserts. I'd rather take the exta calories from beer.

Weights are a must for me. The more muscle you have the more calories you will burn at rest. I also run a few times a week on top of weight lifting. My lab makes me go most of the time by retrieving my running shoes. Ever since duck season ended he has been a real pain.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

247 members (10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 2ndwind, 1beaver_shooter, 30incher, 35 invisible), 2,425 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,322
Posts18,526,423
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.