Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
It'd be tough to argue that stuff at the 100yd line would not like to receive 200X's launched from that platform.

GB1

B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yep.

I understand that reloading die sales for the 325 WSM are equal to the 30-06. Looks good for that chambering.

I happen to know a gent with a matched set of MOntanas: 7-08 and 325 WSM.

Both wear Leupie 2.5-8 glass.

The gent loads 120 TTSX in the 7-08 and 200s in the 325.

Pretty effective pairing.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wasn't much wrong with the old Savage triggers, other than looking like Rube Goldberg had a hand in their design (along with the rest of it, naturally). A little TLC, a dab of lube and they stay right were you'd put them. 2.75lbs is doable and about what one generally finds right, for a game thumper.

I no longer have any great loyalty to rifle manufacturers and since I don't currently own anything on a M700 action, I'll stay away from the rest of it. If something consistantly shoots well and the price was right, close enuf. Hell, I own two Loopy products now and one is even near brand new. Whodda thunk it?

PS: Don't abandon them old "turd polishing" analogies. Always a personal favorite.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Several pards here at work with 300 and 8mm Montuckys,have rebarreled to 7WSM already. The boys seen the light.

If a guy went hungry with an ironsighted 22LR,he'd have noone to blame but himself.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
If Salvage was the answer,I'd gun in kind. It ain't and I don't and none of that is factored by not having had more than a few.

Suprised noone has mentioned the adjustable striker depth and ability to snug headspace. The Turd Polishers are slippin' with their homework,or mebbe F&S hasn't done a Turd In A Punchbowl Treatise in a few issues?!!?(grin)

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a bumper sticker that says "My Savage Outshot Your Kimber" grin.

Seriously, if you don't like them, don't buy one. If you are a guy on a tight budget and you want a rifle that is more than likely going to be very accurate out of the box, get a Savage.

I have three of them and all three shoot lights out. I do however appreciate a good looking rifle too. My Weatherby Mk V Deluxe 270 Wby won't shoot with the Savages but daggum she sure is pretty and it is accurate enough for any shot that I would ask of it.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by TryMe
It'd be tough to argue that stuff at the 100yd line would not like to receive 200X's launched from that platform.

Yup. And the Chrono tells us that the 200 grain TSX is steppin' out at 2960 fps (+/- 14 fps).

That's a whole lotta hurt out to 400 yards or so.

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
B
BMT Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by sambo3006
I have a bumper sticker that says "My Savage Outshot Your Kimber" grin.

Ain't shot against a Kimber.

But me and my savage have out-shot Tikka Tacticals, semi-custom 700s, and some Rugers.

The full custom GA Precision 700 whooped my butt tho'. As did the little blond girl shooting said 700. . . . . grin

Curiously, I also outshot a full custom tactical model 70 when it was on loan to another shooter. But, the owner of said Model 70 made me look silly at 600 yards.

'Tis the shooter, that matters.

BMT

Last edited by BMT; 04/08/09.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
MK V's are right up there,with the least amount of rifle for the loot. Though I've suffered more than a few.

Bang for the buck? Used 700 walnut ADL.

The Montucky is easily the best .532" Killing Rifle ever offered over the counter.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
TikTac's...whatta joke those are.

The more a guy shoots,the "luckier" he's apt to be on the average.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I think Savage bolts are the most versatile rifle out there.

Great for recovering crab pots

[Linked Image]

Ride in the bed well

[Linked Image]

You can pry downed trees out of the road with them

[Linked Image]

Block a tire

[Linked Image]

Even work as surveyor posts

[Linked Image]

Kids enjoy the Lego Savage system

[Linked Image]

And their barrels are above reproach for fish knocking...

[img]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b297/Shoalcove/SanAn1-1.jpg[/img]

Scott: TFF! You belong in Hollywood....or doing political satire.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
you know, it's a sad and obvious choice when the numbers on the price tag are between one-half and two-thirds what the rest of the rifles on the rack are, and the research states without a doubt that they are more accurate. If you're looking for a presentation piece, buy something else. If you want an extremely accurate rifle that performs and doesn't break your wallet, buy a savage.

The Only Accuracy Issue With 99.99% Of Weapons Is The Nut On The End Of The Buttstock.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Few things as compelling,as the plagiarized notions of a Certified Armchair Quarterback,musing the "findings" of clueless idiots.

"Research"...that's hilarious!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You can have my share of the ugly fuggers...

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Savages may be like sex with an ugly girl for some of you. So shut up, put up, close your eyes, and enjoy the cheap ride. Feels good don't it?

I am the NorthEast WoodsBeast!

"System version 1.3, divorced"
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by corelokt
Savages may be like sex with an ugly girl for some of you. So shut up, put up, close your eyes, and enjoy the cheap ride. Feels good don't it?

I think that is the greatest quote of this entire thread!!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Never did take much to swoon a Texan and they've obviously a knack for chewing their arms off.

That ain't no coincidence.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Try Me...I appreciate your verbal assault on me, and the comments about my notions being plagiarized, your assumptions that you know me well enough to call me a "Certified Armchair Quarterback,musing the "findings" of clueless idiots". Obviously, even stupid people have figured out how to be eloquent in their bashing of others. If half the people took the time to reply to what the thread was about, instead of bashing someone else's opinion, we all might learn something. One small bit of advice... when you decide to make a statement about a man's overall personality based on one single statement that he made, when you haven't put enough time into thinking about the statement he made to realize you're taking what he said out of context, you only make yourself look like a horse's a**. Do you know me? How many thousands of rounds do I put down range every year, and how many rifles do I own? Do you have anything on which to base those statements of my character? My comment was based on out of the box comparison of other rifles in the same price range. I have owned more than 60 rifles, and currently still have more than 40. Out of the varying brands that I have owned, rifles have to be tweaked. I have yet to find a "perfect" rifle out of the box. I'm just stating that for the money, out of the box, you can zero, and punch half inch groups at 100 yards all day long...without re-crowning, new trigger, having to glass bed, etc. Compare the rifle to others in it's range,ok? I'm not putting a savage against a $3,000-$4000 custom rifle,,, it doesn't fit in the class, But I gaurantee that any out of the box savage will shoot with any out of the box ruger, winchester, or remington... all day long. My apologies to the moderator for the long post, I just don't like to be personally assaulted by someone that doesn't know me.

Last edited by wyckkedblue; 04/11/09.

The Only Accuracy Issue With 99.99% Of Weapons Is The Nut On The End Of The Buttstock.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
wyckkedblue, your blood pressure will settle down as soon as you put Try Me on the ignore list. Worked wonders for mine.

Last edited by shoot4fun; 04/11/09.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I didn't miss a thing and that seemingly unsettled you.

The reason was founded.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

126 members (2ndwind, 300_savage, 1badf350, 338reddog, 117LBS, 18 invisible), 2,082 guests, and 880 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,447
Posts18,528,802
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.