Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
D
doclee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Thanks guys...made it from the house to the gate on foot this am (1/4 mile). I am not wired to lay around. Still having waves of symptoms that come and go through the day but each day is better. The surgeon said that my cervical spinal was tightly compressed at c3-c4 and was"really pissed off" They expect that these symptoms will slowly resolve over weeks to months. I am of course praying for the shorter interval. This trial has been an epiphany for me. This was the first time in my life that my intellect,my skill sets,my gifts, and my resources could not solve my problem. I was raised to work harder, work longer, troubleshoot more, and make a plan of action. I found myself completely helpless potentially facing paralysis and the people that could help me were hesistent to do so. I think God gives us these trials strips us down and isolates us so that we may more fully hear his message and turn to him for rescue. I am learning to be still and have patience for his plan instead of trying to make one of my own.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
doclee,
I can echo your sentiments exactly. I've never come across something I couldn't outwork, outthink, outshoot, or outrun. I think we all hit the wall sometimes when our best effort won't even get started. The course of my life, though has taken me from a solid believer to a serious "doubting Thomas". Maybe while you are recovering you could think this over and help me make sense of it.
I quit going to church on this day.........Sunday morning on the way to Sunday school with my family. I'm telling them the Bible story of Abraham and Issac. My 12yo daughter asks me, "Dad, would you stab me to death and burn my body if God asked you too?"
I still feel wierd not going to Church, so I go every once in awhile, just to hear a "tithe or you're going to hell" sermon, or an "if you don't bring someone to Christ you're going to hell" sermon. These just remind me of why I don't miss it. BUT........there was a moment on the 2007 NWT sheep hunt when I was holding on to a crumbling rock face by my teeth and fingernails, and I started to say "Please God", and then realized that it was just me (I think).
I don't know why I'm waxing on about this, just putting painful thoughts into words.
Good luck on your recovery,
Don

D
doclee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Don,
I stopped going to Church because of local church politics. The usual "one click does not like the preacher so lets force him out group". My family was there for the fellowship and the growth it can produce but instead found conflict. The personalities involved were strong and my wife and I found it easier to withdraw rather than do the right thing. I feel most guilty about my daughters lack of participation.
I have always personally found more solice and communion with God out in the field...camping, hunting, or hiking particularly in wilderness areas.
I have never thought of the Abraham/Issac sacrifice story from my personal point of view. That was more than your average preteen daddy question. I would have been speechless and would not and will not ever be spiritually strong enough for such a sacrifice.
These trials raise lots of questions theologically. Does god direct a specific trial to occur in order to cause growth? I favor that life happens and that God is with us to try to make the best out of the worst when it does promoting the distillation of something stronger and more pure and powerful.
Of course you have got to rememeber that He gave us free will. This allows us to make our own choice on how to respond to the trials we face. Some people get angry ,bitter, and withdraw and some grow stronger in the face of adversity. People often feel that God promises us a life free of trials if we follow the rules. That is not the case, He is just there to help us when they occur. We do however have to be on the lookout for his providence for sometimes its easily missed if you are not looking.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
doclee, I hope your recovery goes well, I can certainly relate.

I have never been one to take life for granted, and was reminded of that in March 1998 when I crashed a snowmobile doing over 120km/hr after launching into a gulley I was unaware of.

I spent a good 1/2 hour on my back in the snow while my brother went for help, all the while I couldn't feel anything from the waist down. My hunting dreams (sheep in particular) certainly flashed before my eyes there.

A few weeks in the spinal intensive care unit with TI rods and pins (90% compression fracture), and a few months of physio and I was up and walking again.

Been on 7 sheep hunts since and have killed 2 Stone's rams as well as a nice goat and a heap of other critters via backpack.

Hang in there, you'll be in the hills before you know it!

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take!"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Wow, you are truly blessed!

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by doclee
I am going on my first sheep hunt this July in the Yukon. 10 days backpacking in the Bonnet Plume area. I have been waffling between my 270 win and my 300 win mag for use as a sheep rifle. The 270 is a ruger m77 RSI and certainly is shorter lighter and more handy for backpacking. Accuracy between the two rifles is immaterial with my handloads. The 300 WM is a stock M77 and weighs about 2.5# more scoped. I keep thinking that I should take the 300 for the extra performance and anchoring ability and not worry about the extra weight. I am interested in your thoughts.

At first thought, I would take the lighter rifle as the performance difference on game is small. Lighter is almost always better, but using the .300 would depend on your fitness level, experience and which gun fits you better. I usually take gun bearers, but they are getting old enough to want to hunt themselves!

Kevin Haile
D
doclee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
280 Ackley,
Thank you for your concern and for sharing your inspirational story with me. You are a living miracle to have overcome this injury. I work the emergency room and have seen many patients with your history that did not have such response to intervention. Have a happy Easter.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by kevinh1157
Originally Posted by doclee
I am going on my first sheep hunt this July in the Yukon. 10 days backpacking in the Bonnet Plume area. I have been waffling between my 270 win and my 300 win mag for use as a sheep rifle. The 270 is a ruger m77 RSI and certainly is shorter lighter and more handy for backpacking. Accuracy between the two rifles is immaterial with my handloads. The 300 WM is a stock M77 and weighs about 2.5# more scoped. I keep thinking that I should take the 300 for the extra performance and anchoring ability and not worry about the extra weight. I am interested in your thoughts.

At first thought, I would take the lighter rifle as the performance difference on game is small. Lighter is almost always better, but using the .300 would depend on your fitness level, experience and which gun fits you better. I usually take gun bearers, but they are getting old enough to want to hunt themselves!

I guess he didn't read the REST of the story??

D
doclee Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
D
Good News! Chris and Sharron Mckinnon have graciously allowed me to reschedule my hunt to 2010. Special Thanks to the Mckinnons. Gentlemen if you are in the market for any Yukon hunting, you should give them a call. Good people!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Wow, that is great to hear! Lot's of incentive now!!

IC B3

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1234, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 63 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,405
Posts18,488,944
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.