Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
NathanL Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Having been a centerfire guy all my life I don't much on .22's and rimfires.

What is good or acceptable accuracy in a .22 rifle that is not a target rifle. IE a hunting/plinking firearm.

I went out today and shot about 6 different loads at 50 yards to see what grouped the best. What should I be looking for?

Otto is my co-pilot.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It depends on the gun to some extent, you wont look for the same kind of accuract out of a stock 10/22 as you would a Anschutz. That being said if you take a middle of the road bolt gun like a CZ452 I would look for 1/4 inch at 25 and 1/2 inch at 50. Some will be better, some not so good. Testing several types of ammo is the key as is letting the barrel "season" it self to that ammo. I feel it takes 1 shot per inch of barrel to get the best groups when you change ammo. Try Wolf Match Target for best results, I have yet to see a gun that wont shoot them in a tiny little group.

YMMV

What gun/scope are you shooting?

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Looks like nobody else wants to stick their neck out here, so I'll take a stab at it. I shoot mainly old Savages and Remingtons made in the pre WWII era. Most have iron sights,a few have been scoped. If they won't produce a 1 1/2" group @ 40-50 yds with good ammo they get swapped off. Most of the old timers in my rack will hold 3/4 to one inch at this range. Occasionally a real keeper shows up thats right on the heels of the Remington 541 and the Cooper sporter I used to own. Currently a model 5 Savage,of all things,is turning in fingernail size groups and is my favorite starling killer.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
For a mid priced 22 Rimfire Rifle, I think 5 shots at 50 yards in a 1/2" group is acceptable, using mid priced ammo too, not the bulk ammo.
Moving up the rifle money tree, expect 1/4" five shot groups with high end ammo.
I watched a shooting buddy here shoot a five shot group at 50 yards with a Thompson-Center Classic that measured 1/4", with Wolf Match Target ammo. The rifle was scoped too.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

C
C
I just got a Marlin 99 (1959-1961 vintage) recently at a local show and took it out to the range yesterday for it's first real trial.

It did 5 4-shot groups that you could cover with a dime, with no scope or bench rest! Needless to say, I'm really pleased!!!

The rifle was one of those "gotta-get-this-before-somebody-else-does" thing... very, very good to excellent condition and cost me about what I'd normally spend for 9mm AMMO only on a regular range day. Took it to the range and it performed like a champ!

Dime size groups with a 50-yr old rifle is plenty good enough for me smile

Now I have to replace the scope it came with as that one was unable to be adjusted to zero point...probably why the rifle was for sale in the first place, but I do think that off a bench & with a good scope the ol' girl will be able to put rounds in the same hole until the barrel melts down!

BTW, in the Boy Scout merit badge booklet for rifle shooting, one requirement is that you do (I believe) 5 5-shot groups that can be covered by a quarter. ...that should be plenty good enough for playing & plinking, unless you're interested in competition.

COW_54

Gotta have some fun while you still can!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Anything that'll consistantly shoot 5 shot 3/4" groups at 50 yards with ammo that it likes, makes me fairly happy. Especially if the rifle and ammo didn't cost an arm and two legs.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
My CZ 452 Varmint model will shoot .5" for 5 at 50 w/Remington SubSonic ammo. My Rem 513T will shoot under .5" for 5 at 50 with Eley Club Extra and Wolf Match Target (with an occasional flyer), and my 513Sporter model with open sights will shoot .5" for 5 at 25 yds with Rem High Speed HP ammo (bulk box type).

Best thing to do, as several posters have noted, is to find the ammo the rifle likes, and then stock up on it. I'd start with the bulk stuff (if you can find any) and work up in price until you find the right one. Who knows, your rifle might like the WalMart bulk Federal loads-or Remington, or Winchester.

An Old Pilot, but Not A Bold Pilot
"Pig-murderin' Fool"
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
"Acceptable" accuracy? Under 1 inch @ 50 yards.

"Good" accuracy? Under .75 inches @ 50 yards.

Exceptional accuracy? Under a .5 inch @ 50 yards.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Weigh needs/satisfactions in extrapolation to your needs.

I'd not much fret those of another's.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
If I can hit a shotgun shell at 50yrds I'm happy

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My CZ 452, with a 6 x 24 scope on it, is good at doing head shots on sage rats and chipmonks out to about 125 yds...

not a normal 22 LR by a long shot...

but you get one with a good barrel and appropriate scope, it will surprise you of what they will do...

I also have a Lever Action 94/22... that rifle will do likewise, but out to 75 yds or so... its only limited by the scope I have on it...a 6 x 24 on a Lever Action 22 would be kind of stupid looking...

My several heavy barrel Ruger 10/22s will also nail sage rats and chipmunks out to about 125 yds pretty consistently...

for ammo I have been using Winchester 36 grain Lead HP from Walmart in the bulk pack... at least before the big ammo shortage came along...

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
Originally Posted by Ron_T

There you go. I wouldn't change one word.

Regards,
Ron

USASA 1965/69
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I just shot a sako quad

It changed my opinion of what's acceptable.

However - my old standards

25 yards - anything the size of a quarter was way to sloppy

Last edited by Spotshooter; 04/12/09.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
With a .22, I've always been primarily a hunter so I always thought in terms of "minute of squirrel-head" accuracy. That's not relly the "whole" head, but more like the area between the eye and neck of a cat squirrel. If a rifle would hold that accuracy at 50 yards....it was acceptable. Half that size group was what I really desired.

Took some measurements from a few "volunteers" and found that means about 1" groups at 50 yards is acceptable, while a 1/2" group is really good. The best rifles I've owned would shoot near 1/4" groups at 50 yards.

Kind of got "spoiled" early as the first .22 rifle I shot a lot with at age 6 (an old single-shot Ranger with the pull knob at the end of the bolt) would easily shoot under 1/4" groups at 25 yards with open sights. Used to shoot the heads off kitchen matches and literally drive nails at 20 yards or so just to show off.

I now have 4 rifles that will shoot less than 1/4" at 25 yards....a Ruger 10/22, Ruger 77/22, Winchester 490 and that old Ranger. The real value of tight accuracy in a .22 isn't so much at 50 yards, but occurs when a squirrel peeks at you with one eye around a limb at 25 yards and you think, "That's the last mistake you'll ever make".

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
100yd Squirrel Rifles abound.

D
DMB Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Cron
Originally Posted by Ron_T

There you go. I wouldn't change one word.

+2

That's the best response to the question.
I have an old Rem 510 that is a sometimes 3/4" at 50 yards for 5 shots that is probably my favorite 22; most times it's an inch shooter.

Don Buckbee

JPFO
NRA Benefactor Member
NSSA Life Member

NathanL Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well this is what I came up with after a day at the range. This is the only .22 I've ever owned outside of a beater 10/22. I haven't measured the group but it's 5 shots and coverable by a dime and was shot at 50 yards with federal champion bulk cheap ammo. I have around 100 rounds down the tube so far.

I was curious because many of the pics I see from .22's are 1 hole shots.

I really didn't know if this gun would shoot becuase while I'm a huge mannlicher stock nut it's been my experience in the past they are not the best shooters. I stuck a weaver 4x shotgun scope that was on closeout on it and so far it seems a good fit on this gun.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by NathanL; 04/12/09.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Good shootin Nathan, Im sure that gun will do anything you need it to do.

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If within a fifty round box of ammo, I can put all fifty rounds inside a quarter size dia @ 50 yards. I know the rifle and ammo is giving me everything I need for my small game hunting.

Everybody situation might be different. I need to be able to hit head neck to the top of the breast on ptarmigan or suffer grief when I get home with the evidence. I try to keep my shots at or under 75 yards and with my combination, of a Marlin 39 with a Leupold 2X7, .22Lr scope and Winchester Super X ammo, I'm there.

Thus saith thr lord; Cursed be the man that trusteth in man, and maketh flesh his arm, and whose heart departeh from the lord. Jeremiah 17:5 KJV
NathanL Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by passport
Good shootin Nathan, Im sure that gun will do anything you need it to do.

Mainly got it to plink as I've been doing a ton of shooting lately and my shoulder already hurts all the time from using a digitizer on the computer all day so I thought a .22 might work better.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 73 invisible), 2,442 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,772
Posts18,476,962
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.