Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I was recently issued a new GMC Sierra as a work vehicle. At about 400 km, there was a dragging noise ( I was thinking the traction control or anti locks were functioning improperly) as I drove along. At a stop sign I shut her down. It was weird, the engine was stopped, but there was still a lot of noise under the hood, as if the engine was turning. The engine would not restart. I popped the hood, and the fan belt etc was still turning. I thought that the only source of power was the battery. I went to disconnect the battery, but before I could, smoke began billowing out from underneath the left side of the engine. I went to grab the fire extinguisher, but as it was only a 5lber, and I couldn't see any flames, I thought I should call the fire department. By the time I was off the phone and had the pin pulled, the smoke was disippating. The FD checked and said the fire had burned out. FD helped push the truck aside and it ha to be towed. This happened on March 31, and the truck is still at Shaw GMC.

I'm a Toyota fan, and would consider a GM truck, not sure I would now.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If I found a story of a Toyota setting a fire would you sell yours?

"If we could somehow bottle the Brittany's energy and spirit, we'd solve most of the world's problems, if not all of them"

"People who drink light "beer" don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
What has the dealer found? If the fan belt was turning the engine would have to be turning also right? If the ignition was stuck on causing the starter to turn over then eventally the starter would overheat and start smoking.

magnums the only way to shoot
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

There is a difference between hearing stories,and actually experiencing things for yourself.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jmt277
What has the dealer found? If the fan belt was turning the engine would have to be turning also right? If the ignition was stuck on causing the starter to turn over then eventally the starter would overheat and start smoking.

Last 2009 Chevy I looked at had electric fans, its called an accessory drive belt or something strange now days.

"If we could somehow bottle the Brittany's energy and spirit, we'd solve most of the world's problems, if not all of them"

"People who drink light "beer" don't like the taste of beer; they just like to pee a lot."

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by stubblejumper

There is a difference between hearing stories,and actually experiencing things for yourself.

I wan't lucky enought but a few of my yota drivin friends had this experiance, one of two drives a much new Toyota that was paid for mostly buy Toyota.

"Toyota had begun receiving a few reports from customers that excessive corrosion was occurring on the frames of some older Tacoma pickups, specifically 1995 to 2000 models. The Japanese automaker determined that during this half decade of production, some Taco frames may not have received the kind of corrosion protection from the factory that's needed to withstand harsh climes, especially ones where salt is used to deice roadways. While there is no recall and Toyota says that the number of instances where it has found rust go beyond the surface of the frame to penetrate the metal is small, the automaker is pulling an unorthodox move and doing something about anyway.

Toyota is extending the rust perforation warranty on all 1995-2000 Tacoma pickups, some 813,000 units, to 15 years from the original date of purchase, AND you don't have to be the original owner, or the second or the third even. Anyone who owns a Tacoma from this era and finds rust perforation on the frame can have his or her truck officially inspected for rust damage, in which case Toyota will either repair or buy back the truck regardless of its condition. Owners will start receiving letters by mid-March, and those who don't can visit a dealership for a free inspection."

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by AB2506
I was recently issued a new GMC Sierra as a work vehicle. At about 400 km, there was a dragging noise ( I was thinking the traction control or anti locks were functioning improperly) as I drove along. At a stop sign I shut her down. It was weird, the engine was stopped, but there was still a lot of noise under the hood, as if the engine was turning. The engine would not restart. I popped the hood, and the fan belt etc was still turning. I thought that the only source of power was the battery. I went to disconnect the battery, but before I could, smoke began billowing out from underneath the left side of the engine. I went to grab the fire extinguisher, but as it was only a 5lber, and I couldn't see any flames, I thought I should call the fire department. By the time I was off the phone and had the pin pulled, the smoke was disippating. The FD checked and said the fire had burned out. FD helped push the truck aside and it ha to be towed. This happened on March 31, and the truck is still at Shaw GMC.

I'm a Toyota fan, and would consider a GM truck, not sure I would now.

I prayed everyday that my GM would set itself on fire. Some days I was going to do it myself...you just got lucky. grin

Seriously, glad you're alright.

Camp is where you make it.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I must be reading this wrong so I stand to be corrected.

400km on a 'o9 truck. If my calculations are right, that is 250miles. Teething problem suck but they happen.

Last edited by Charlie_in_TX; 04/13/09.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
That is how I read it as well.

Camp is where you make it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

444 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 55 invisible), 2,562 guests, and 1,190 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,366
Posts18,488,173
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.