Originally Posted by Steelhead
What am I up to?

Don't ya know? grin

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
PRESS HERE

Just in case anyone thought I was callin ya ugly names.

Some folks are just plain too helpful! grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As a professional, it was on the shoulders of the warden to enforce the law with descretion (In this case it wasn't a multi-state poaching ring, it was a pile of corn and an old man illegally trying to shoot a turkey). The warden argued with the man until a threat was issued by the old man. The old man apparently made as if to follow through with the threat (maybe) and was killed over baiting turkeys. WHY? Was there an imminent danger to the public if that old man wasn't stopped immediately? What would the warden have done if he was in that situation unarmed? Bottom line, the situation was handled poorly and a man died - that is evident to all but those who are completely blind.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

What am I up to?

How would I know ....I am not omniscient !!! But I bet THEY do !!!!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Guess not.

Went out to 'rescue' a pard who's 16' skiff broke down. We were pulling him back to the dock (about 5 miles away) in a 17' Whaler about 45 minutes before dark. Here come the game cops, they pull up in their boat, flak vests on and ask me "Are you hunting?"

I reply "No, I'm towing"

They say "You're not hunting?"

I throw up my arms and say "Look around" it's a 17 foot center console Whaler, only thing in it are me, a pard, 2 life vests and a tank of gas.

They then pull up to my pard being pulled "Are you hunting?"

I say "No, he is being towed" they then say they saw a skiff that looked like his on the beach earlier in the day. He says it wasn't him. They then drive away.

Never once did they ask if we needed any assistance, since I was towing him. Gotta like that for building Public Acceptance.

Last edited by Steelhead; 04/13/09.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M

What am I up to?

God knows, but whatever it is I know there is a woman out there somewhere with a smile a mile wide on her lips from it grin

Lynn

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Probably more than one, luckily they can't find me....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If the old man threatened, and IF the fish cop felt threatened for his life then the cop had every right to commit homocide.

Just because he had the right to do it doesn't make it the right thing to do. Cop coulda sat behind a tree and waited him out. What kinda cop tactics is it to confront an armed senior citizen without some means of cover? Lotsa things shoulda happened before he shot the poor guy outta the tree...can't shoot turkeys out of trees, but grandpas are open season.

Last edited by 257wby; 04/13/09.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Wade is FOR killing old men and against shooting dogs. Gotta love that!

I like how you bifurcated two post to form an opinion. The two are apple and oranges. Isn't it odd how I go against some police actions such as the shooting of the dog? I seen you had dug through my posts to bring up the dog quote from long ago. I'm sure you will see that I don't always side with the LEO threads on the fire. I keep an open mind unlike some members here.

I tried to find the dash cam video of Trooper Randall Wade (Texas) whom stopped a seventy year old man for a traffic offense and tried to talk him into dropping his lever action as he stepped from the car . The old man was ornery and failed to listen to numerous commands. The Trooper died on video. One can't equate age as being harmless.

Steelhead,

You have done things I can only dream about. For that, I respect the hell out of you!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Reminds me of the guy that stepped out in a crosswalk directly in front of me (I was doing 25mph, the posted limit) and it was all I could do to not hit him.

He then slapped the hood of my truck and said 'Pedestrians have the right of way'

He may have been correct but being RIGHT isn't what I would want on my tombstone.

If this case did truly involve 15mins of banter before the shooting I say the GW might have been RIGHT but their were certainly OTHER and BETTER ways to handle the situation. Right ain't always right.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Reread the initial post.. the "senior citizen" climbed out of the tree, down a rope ladder.

Some of the crying here about how GW's shouldn't be able to come on your land or about an eventual shooting of a violator after an escalation reminds me a lot of what I hear from old Al Sharpton when some gangbanger gets shot after pulling a gun on a cop.

"It's the cop's fault! If he hadn't of tried to break up that drug deal with that poor, misguided soul, nobody would have died!"

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by wadevb1
Wade is FOR killing old men and against shooting dogs. Gotta love that!

I like how you bifurcate two post to form an opinion. The two are apple and oranges. Isn't it odd how I go against some police actions such as the shooting of the dog? I seen you had dug through my posts to bring up the dog quote from long ago. I'm sure you will see that I don't always side with the LEO threads on the fire. I keep an open mind unlike some members here.

Steelhead,

You have done things I can only dream about. For that, I respect the hell out of you!

I do, nor do I side with anything just because. Lots of if's and I know that in this case but unless the old man started shooting from the get go there were better ways.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I dread to ask but do GW's carry Tasers?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Funny Calhoun, if the old man climbed down the rope I can't see how he could have had the gun in his hands whilst doing it nor how the GW couldn't have 'handled' a 76 year old man before he left the rope ladder.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Pete E

Nope, but they are trained in the JUDY CHOP method of self defense...I'm particularly fond of the "fan motion" at the end.

YOU GOTTA SEE THIS

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It wasn't as if the ole man was planting trees in his own back yard with a handgun on his hip. Jeesh.

Have an A1 Day!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hmm.. maybe the officer took cover after the gentleman threatened his life? Like they train them to? And was still trying to defuse the situation until the last minute?

Wasn't there, can't judge. But I'm not going to pre-judge the GW to be at fault based on the information given. As far as I can he was doing his job and stayed inside normal procedures as I'd understand them. Maybe more info will come out showing him to be at fault.. and if he is, I hope they hang him up high.

The one thing that really ticks me off though is the thought that any LEO should run and hide if somebody threatens him. Especially a game warden where help may be a LONG time coming.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Originally Posted by Pete E

Nope, but they are trained in the JUDY CHOP method of self defense...I'm particularly fond of the "fan motion" at the end.

YOU GOTTA SEE THIS

grin grin grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Chuck Norris coulda come down that ladder, one hand on the ladder, one hand cradling an M-16 or even a ma-deuce...maybe the Warden saw Chuck Norris in town wearing a T-shirt with a picture of the old man on it. Plum spooked the fish cop and he had a premature ejac and shot him.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
AMEN!

Page 8 of 22 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 21 22

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

62 members (10gaugemag, BallisticBRYAN, Alan_Robertson, 7mm_Loco, 1_deuce, 5 invisible), 1,375 guests, and 692 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,650
Posts18,512,635
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.