Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rackmastr

The synthetic I'm guessing wouldnt need a bivy on it?

One of the most miserable nights I ever spent was in a wet synthetic. Synthetics bags will get wet, just that they'll still offer insulation value when the bag is soaking (unlike down). That doesn't mean you won't be miserable! Synthetics require "less" care and thought than down, but, above timeberline, you're still going to need at least a bivy no matter what you chose if you want to be safe.

I like down because it's compressible and lighter. I've slept well in driving rain and snow above Timberline in my Versalite snug in the little Black Daimond Firstlight I use. The combo together weighs 5lbs and is a heck of a lot safer and more comfortable than a 3 lb synthetic bag and a 1.5 lb bivy IME.

I don't know a thing about your Hillegerg, but if it's a tent I'd use it with a down bag.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yep Brad...sorry for the confusion...

The Hilleberg is a one man tent and I'm kinda curious about whether or not to use a bivy INSIDE the tent with either a down bag or a synthetic bag.

But ya....I'm not the type of guy to run around with JUST a bivy and enjoy the comforts of a tent. Just trying to find the perfect bag for inside that tent....

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Barney's are ID bags.
Go to Moontrail and find an ID bag on sale.
They have the high end ones as well. You could also get a WM or
Feathered Friends. I am afraid with the downturn in the economy that we might lose both ff and WM.

Sincerely,

Thomas

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I am afraid with the downturn in the economy that we might lose both ff and WM.

I sure hope not. Ill be doing my part and picking up a new WM Alpinlite soon.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got nothing good to say for my 0* Slick bag. I took it to SE this October for all kinds of weather. I usually get in the thing wet, taking off only my boots. I wake up dry and ready to go. With that said, I just love down, and would not hesitate to do it all in my WM Kodiak SDL. Down just feels better. When I handle or get in the Slick bag, it just doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling, but it darn sure kept me warm.
Don

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks Doc.....I'm assuming you meant you've got 'nothing BUT good to say' about your Slick bag...

Any pics of how small it packs when you have it in a compression bag?

I am lookin hard right now at the WM bags and the Marmot Helium as two down bags to consider.....

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Rack, IMO/E for a few extra bucks WM bags are better overall than Marmot. The Marmot's are nice, but the WM's are another couple notches up in quality.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Rackmastr, I'm just one more opinion but using a bivy in a tent isn't something I'd do. Unless it was floorless and the bivy was my ground cloth.

I use bivy's a lot when the bugs are frozen and I'm trying to go light, but there are a lot of times when a bivy can greatly contribute to a wet bag vs keeping it dry.

On that subject it's pretty clear that there are some big gaps on the forum in real woods experience and because of that I'm hesitant to say to much about it but I sometimes think the dangers of down getting wet are overstated for most of our uses.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks olypen....

Thats kinda the never ending battle for me.....with the down vs synthetic. I really want something that packs light and compresses nice and small, yet something I dont have to worry one lick about in the field......

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Holy cow Rackmastr, I sure did misspeak myself.....typo city!
That Slick IS A GREAT BAG.
Don

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I would love to know what sizes you guys who run synthetic can compress your bags to in your packs.....

I think the 'room' thing in my pack is the most important factor right now.....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Rack,
I've always liked down over synthetic. Brad is right! Wet is wet no matter what the composition is. I take the precaution and use a dry bag for the down bag when I'm away from my Hilleberg Akto.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Bigwhoop,

I think I'd carry the sleeping bag in a dry-bag no matter what, so sounds like you are running a pretty similar system to what I'm considering...

In your Akto, do you get any condensation issues that get your bag wet, or do you find that you're pretty set?

I know what you mean about the compression of down....thats a VERY attractive feature.....

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Rack,
Not so far. I used my Akto for a 5 day elk hunt in northern CO..
Temps at night were in the 20's. Now that wasn't an extreme mountain sheep hunt either. I think if a guy wanted to use a lightweight waterproof overbag to be absolutely safe, that would be ok. The overbag could be used to keep other clothing items dry while you are away from the tent.
Now I used a piece of Tyvek for my tent footprint. Why not a piece to cover your bag at night? I'm pretty handy with a sewing machine and could make a Tyvek overbag. Hmmm.......

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Rack,

Modern bags are very good when it comes to condensation.

Last summer, my wife and I slept in a solo single wall tarp tent, and we had a 70 lb lab in the shelter with us.

I had a poor choice for a tent site, in a grassy meadow because I wanted the view. When we awoke the next morning, the ouside of the tent was covered with frost and the inside was very wet. Because of the small size of the shelter our bags were against the side walls and apeared to be soaked, but 20 minutes in the sun and they were bone dry. The DWR was wetted but the down stayed dry. Of course, I much prefer to keep my bag totally dry but this shows how well the bag shell protects the insulation.

Condensation is much more of a concern from the inside with body moisture passing thru, but generally unless you are out for multiple days in real cold weather this isn't a big issue.

I have experienced more condensation with a bivy than without. I would pass on the bivy when using a tent.

Ed T

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Bumped Up for Duk Dog......

Any other comments are more than welcome as I'm still considering all my options out there!!!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I know I said earlier in this thread that I was going to buy a slick bag, but I found a great deal on a new marmot helium -9C for $349 Cdn. 850+ down and weighs less than 2 pounds. Should work perfect for sheep and goats.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Trevor~

A bag that must be considered in this "Ultimate Sheep Hunting Sleeping Bag" thread... has to be some bags in the Valandre line....

check them out..... awesome stuff.

Mark

Mystery Ranch Backpacks
Bozeman Montana USA
www.mysteryranch.com
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What??? No love for the all great and powerful Wiggy's bag?? shocked grin

(Runs for cover.....)

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Not in this lifetime.......

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 61 invisible), 2,137 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,767
Posts18,495,681
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.