Page 38 of 173 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 172 173
Campfire Member
Campfire Member

HR IC

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Wait till I throw some Plutarch around.......

�If you live with a cripple, you will learn to limp�

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
C
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
C
Shocking, man. Just Shocking.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Personally I'd take the 7mm over the 308, but you can't go wrong with either. No real reason, I just like the 270 and 284.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by CrimsonTide
Just when I think I got 'im figured out, Old Steelie whips out a dose of Thoreau, for the love of Criminy!

Didn't know you had it in ya!

He's got a lot of schit in him where that came from......... The dude's been educated far beyond his intelligence........ wink

IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Steelie's poetry has given me pause this morning and reminds me of another. Confucius say "He who go to bed with itchy a$$hole wake up with stinky finger"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
What if we ratchet back to "reasonable hunting ranges"?

This from the rocket scientist thinking 280 yards is too far to shoot an elk because it is facing him?

Jeff O
You are so far in a friggin' hole and so completely oblivious you will never understand. One of my all-time favorite posts (from Accraholic) applies perfectly... "If I knew as much as you I would be asking advice, not giving it."

Just so you stand a chance of catching something on the wind... Elevation means squat because it is repeatable and can be dealt with by the use of turrets... Wind... Not so much...

Doubt you have ever smelled coffee, but now might be a good time to go sniff a cup.

I disagree with your position completely. You have wasted billions of electrons for nothing and even now will waste more. I hesitated to say anything because it is obvious you will never get it.

Everything works up close and only when distance increases will a 7-08 make a difference over a 308... But for perspective, BW shot the sheep I reposted the picture of a day or so ago at well over 300 yards. He decided to neck-shoot him... Because he could. That was with a 6# 7-08.

You passed on a freakin' ELK at much closer because you only had a frontal view... Probably with a rifle you think shoots fabulously. If that does not tell you everything you need to know I do not know how else to explain it.

Some would be deciding which eye to shoot him in at 300 yards and you are thinking it impossible... I actually shot a deer at over 200 yards in the head when only the head was available. And with a witness and from off-hand... And you think a full frontal on an elk at 280 is too far... Oh, and that deer I head shot is in the book, so I had to keep that in mind when shooting...

And an elk at 280 is too far...

Amazing...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You know, Jeff...you've a few blind spots that you seem completely unaware of. We all have them, but yours are out here twisting in the wind for all to see. In fact, you're waving them like a red flag every time you engage in one of these threads.

From one of your posts:
So tell us again how a little more energy at extreme range, a few inches less drop at extreme range, a little more wind-bucking at extreme range, matters one bit in normal hunting?

You say you won't hunt with an X of blue tape over your barrel because, as you put it, you'll hedge things as much as possible and can use all the help you can get. To me, the practicality of what you're saying is absurd...because I've killed deer while wearing a blue sweatshirt, blue hat, blue taped wrapped on my barrel�you get the picture. My frame of reference and yours are opposite.

The thing is, though, that collectively -as hunters, shooters, etc. we all go to great lengths to iron out, down to the last detail, every advantage we can wring from our gear. Whether it's squeezing that last hundredth of an inch from group sizes on the target to putting custom zippers on our sleeping bags to shed a few ounces, those things obviously do matter. We flute barrels to save weight, shave stocks to do the same, map come-ups to 1200 yards, pore over every last detail of nutritional value for our selected backpack diet, and buy tubes full of Astro-Glide to shoot our favorite bullets into as a means of evaluating their effectiveness on flesh and blood. (still speaking of 'we' as the collective group of hunters, shooters and outdoorsmen)

For people who hedge things as much as possible and can use all the help we can get, no stone remains unturned. It was said somewhere on this thread that advantages are never a concession. When it really counts, all else being equal, who here will grab the less accurate rifle in the safe? The heaviest pack or pair of boots? Maybe sometimes, when you get right down to it, a few extra fps do matter, just like a few less ounces or a few less inches of drop.

You've said 'no hunter' hunts deer with a 7-08 at 'those' ranges. I don't know anyone who will go out of their way to take a longer shot than necessary, but I do know people who shoot deer on occasion at 'those' ranges. Ranges that I doubt you would even believe. They are able to do so because terms like 'good enough' and 'for practical purposes' aren't part of the picture.

Can I look in the canopy of your truck and find a half-dozen sets of book-size deer antlers rolling around among your fishing gear? Have you book-sized elk on the wall? Trophy life-size bear mounts? Sheep mounts? I don't either�and before you say an animal doesn't have to be book-size to be a trophy, let me just say I'll agree with you. However, some people consistently ring up such accomplishments. They make their own luck, hedge things as much as possible, and use all the help they can get.

Maybe a little more energy, a little less drop, or a little less drift doesn't matter in your okey-dokey, easy-peasy quest for the 'schizit' or whatever you call it.

Maybe it should.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The whole thread has the makings of great theater.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Art, for the record, that elk now resides in my freezer, having had the top of it's heart shot off by someone who waited for the shot they wanted, because they could, and then took it.

Also for the record, run the numbers on the 208-gn Amax (BC of .648; it's not in the library of the calculator below) at 2600 fps from a .308, Compared to Banned Stick's load (162 Amax at 2700 fps) and get back to me on exactly HOW minute a difference ya'll are getting all horned up over. Pretty funny stuff, considering we could just as easily make a case for the .308's retained energy and bullet weight, which do matter just a bit too...

Here's a calculator kids. I'm going skiing. Have a nice day; I will be, knock on wood <g>.

http://www.eskimo.com/~jbm/ballistics/traj/traj.html

(what was he banned for, anyway? Nobody wants to cop to it?)

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

K
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
K
Originally Posted by battue
The whole thread has the makings of great theater.

Yes, the plot would be - you have offended me, now you and your relatives must pay the price with death. Of course ending tragicaly in the death of everyone on both sides, which teaches us all a lesson about holding a grudge. grin

Last edited by knight; 04/15/09.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Where have I heard that before?

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
The plot would be secondary to the cast of characters.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
And to that, Jeff throws out the 208gr A-max. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
To paraphase one of my grandfather's favorite sayings - You buy JO school books. You buy JO a mule to ride to school on. What's does JO do instead of using the tools you gave him to get an education? JO stands on the books and screws the mule.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Reading this thread makes Wild Turkey a good beverage choice at 10AM.

WGM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't believe you waited until 10am to start drinking ... (grin)

-WGM-
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
And to that, Jeff throws out the 208gr A-max. It is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

Ah, Macbeth. I haven't read that since high school. I'm not a big Shakespeare fan; but, Macbeth is worth the read.

Last edited by TheBigSky; 04/15/09.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
"I disagree with your position completely. You have wasted billions of electrons for nothing and even now will waste more. I hesitated to say anything because it is obvious you will never get it."

How could I know?

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Run the numbers. The 208 Amax is no more absurd than the 162 Amax.

Run the numbers, laugh at Banned Stick for making a mountain out of a molehill, and laugh at those standing up for his position...

It's easy, it's healthy, it's fun, and (not that it matters to some here) it's true.

Off to the real mountain. Have a great day all.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 38 of 173 1 2 36 37 38 39 40 172 173

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

542 members (1beaver_shooter, 21, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 1Longbow, 67 invisible), 2,453 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,447
Posts18,489,641
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.