Print Thread
Hop To
E
Evan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E

I havent had the best luck with my winchester since day one. the first time I realy got to shoot it was on paper 4 months after buying it. I bought it then 1 week later it was on way to winchester to have barrel swap done. it had an out of round chamber, i guess a few of these short mags do. it seems to be desing flaw the problem is always there but only rears its ugly head every ounce inawhile like on mine.

when it got back i had 4.5-14 varixIII waitn to be mounted thinking this would be the ideal scope on a moderate to longer range big game rifle. it may be almost ideal? lower power with moderate power varible. this scope may have been jinxed since i got it. its now on my 22/250 in a rem varmint fluted rifle. its either got a bounceing reticle or Im flinchn all over the place shootn the 250. Im guessn I dont flinch that much cause I can shoot groups inside the 250s groups with my 25/06. but I may be flinchn with the shortmag.

anyways to make a long story short Im right now in the proces of bolting a 3-9vxII on it, and she feels great in my hands, the rifle scope combo dont wiegh that much and look realy good.

if I can shoot alot better with the 3-9 on wsm then the 250 will also see a 3-9 I have to see if it shoots better.

myabe I just try to hard or think to much but I think that dang vxIII was a waste. so far the 2 rifles its been on arent shooting so great at all, and both should shoot better even with facotry ammo.

guess the true test woul be to mount it on my 25 and see what happens, I just hate to mess with something that works, the 25 has 10 power scope on it and it shoots so good, ive been shooting rock chucks from 100-300yds with few misses. its my go to rifle right now

anyways sorry for the long post. hope you dont mind to much, i guess Im just kinda thinkn outloud.

thanks
Evan

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Evan: If you suspect that the scope is the problem, send it to Leupold and let them check it out. That will eliminate one possible problem. Their turnaround time is reasonable and, to date, never a charge to my account.

The 270WSM is somewhat an enigma to me. I am working with my son's, developing some handloads around the 140gr AccuBond Nosler. His is a custom rifle with a 26" barrel. My most accurate load thus far is with H1000, having tried Retumbo, Reloder 22/25. The best velocity is 3,210fps. Too, I have a Ruger No1B in 270Win which averages 3,183fps with the same bullet. Too bad its obsolete.

Are you reloading your own? If so, do you use Winchester or Remington brass? I ask because I am getting wrinkled shoulders on the Remington brass but none on the Winchester. Another enigma. The die is set for partial full length (Redding) and it consistently sizes one brand better than the other.

Best of shooting to you.

1,992 coyotes since 1964
1,000,000 rounds downrange
1,250,000 motorcycle miles
E
Evan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
E
my leo just got back from leupold. took them bout 4 weeks to get it back to me.

Im not realy suspecting the scope yet. even if it is the scope its not going back to leupold, I wont send something back twice. itl be on the road to somewhere fare from here.

I dont relod for the 270wsm but I need to. that would open up new world of possibilties for me. or just load alittle hot for my 270win and get dang near the same results.

thanks for your reply.

Evan

H
H
Hang in there with that 270wsm. I had one built on a Remington 700 action about 2 years ago and couldn't be happier. With a Leupold VariX II 3x9 I get consistant 5 shot groups under an inch at 100 yards using Nosler 130 gr Balistic Tips.
A hunting buddy gets about the same with his Winchester 70. That rifle should shoot!

Good luck
Jim

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Jim: I just got back from the range doing some load development for the 270WSM and, like you said, it is certainly accurate. This is probably the quality of the gunsmith the barreled it and the barrel itself. I was doing some further testing with 10 shot groups on the 140 AccuBond and 130 Ballistic Tip.

This particular rifle seems to be primer sensitive and shows a preference for 215Ms. The actual group size difference is significant. The 140 AccuBond gave a 1.1" group (10 shots/100yds) with WLRMs whereas the Federals cut the groups size to .675"! Often I don't see a difference in primer selection, but, it did today. I'll repeat the test tomorrow.

The 130gr Noslers all stayed at 3/4", 10 shots. With both bullets there is a preference for H1000 which gives high load density and excellent velocity with low SDs. This rifle was built on a long action M70 CRF, so seating the bullet long doesn't intrude on powder space.

1,992 coyotes since 1964
1,000,000 rounds downrange
1,250,000 motorcycle miles
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just because your scope went to Leupold and back, don't assume that it's totally OK. I had the same thing happen on a very accurate rifle. Scope went to leupold and back and the gun still shot 3" at 100yds. A new scope returned the rifle to a 1/4 minute shooter.
I love the 270 WSM as well as 270 Win. All things being equal the WSM is about 200fps faster and fits in a short action. Other than that both will probably kill the same critters about the same way.......DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Evan,

Could you be more specific as to the out of round chamber in your M70 in 270 WSM? Is the rifle a Classic or push feed? How much out of round was the chamber or fired cases? How did you detect this?

What do you mean by a design problem?

Do you mean that some feature of the rifle causes this or do you mean an out of round chamber caused by a manufacturing defect?

All guns should be locked up when not in use!
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'm not Evan, but I did have an early 300 WSM with an out-of-round chamber. The only design flaw, in my opinion, is sometimes poor quality control at Winchester. The out-of-round chamber is caused by not dialing the reamer in with the barrel when chambering and could happen to any other caliber.

Along with 6" groups and heavy bolt lift wih factory loads, the chamber problem with my gun could be detected by visually inspecting the fired brass. It was definately egg shaped with a several-thousands-tall ridge on one side of the case in front of the case head.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

630 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 68 invisible), 2,764 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,830
Posts18,516,940
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.