-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A perfectly healthy pregnant cow elk, standing in two feet of snow during mid-March is suddenly old and weak to a pack of wolves. The young, old, and weak theory is bunk. In the right conditions even the healthy are easy prey and it does not matter one bit to the wolf.

GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SU35
Well, in the wild they do only kill the sick and the old

Hawk, that's the PC indoctrination that's feed to our youngsters here in America.

It simply is not true, Predators love to eat healthy animal meat just as much as we do and prefer them.

The weak and old just happen to be in the way for an easy kill.
You apparently have not understood what I said, since in your last sentence you agree with my statement, i.e., that the sick and the old are targeted because they are easier to kill, while the healthy are better able to escape or defend themselves.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
the slowest is always gonna be the first ones caught

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Lonny
A perfectly healthy pregnant cow elk, standing in two feet of snow during mid-March is suddenly old and weak to a pack of wolves. The young, old, and weak theory is bunk. In the right conditions even the healthy are easy prey and it does not matter one bit to the wolf.
It's not a theory. It's just a fact. When a cow is giving birth, she's in a vulnerable (weakened) state. The cows, therefore, that are best able to give birth rapidly, and the calves that are best able to run with the herd quickly after being born, are the most likely to escape predation and pass that characteristic on to the next generation.

PS To a wild predator, all sheep are extremely weak, and thus very easy game.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am thinkin a wolf wont run by an animal just to grab the next fastest... therefore the obviously eat the slowest one, THAT DAY.. just becasue he's the slowest member of the herd dont mean he is sick... kinda like gettin last place in the olympic's....

Last edited by 721_tomahawk; 04/16/09.
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
the slowest is always gonna be the first ones caught
Yep.

S
SU35 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

I have a close friend who manages a 260 section ranch in Western NM, just south of Datil.

He has seen packs of the re-introduced Mexican Grey Wolf pass on sick elk and attack healthy animals. Even though the sick elk would have been easier to kill and eat.

They simply did not want to eat a sick elk. What else could be the conclusion?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 721_tomahawk
I am thinkin a wolf wont run by an animal just to grab the next fastest... therefore the obviously eat the slowest one, THAT DAY.. just becasue he's the slowest member of the heard dont mean he is sick... kinda like gettin last place in the olympic's....
Being slow, in nature, is being weak.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

I have a close friend who manages a 260 section ranch in Western NM, just south of Datil.

He has seen packs of the re-introduced Mexican Grey Wolf pass on sick elk and attack healthy animals. Even though the sick elk would have been easier to kill and eat.

The healthy animals should act sick, then. Keep them safe from predation.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
exactly!!..kinda!!... smile

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The locals up in Northern Minnesota have their own way of dealing with wolf "problems." It's called, "Shoot, Shovel, and Shut Up."

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
wolves doing what wolves do.

what a shocker.....YAWN

that sort of behavior by wolves has been fairly documented for at least about 100 years.

it's why folks decided to so strictly control their numbers.

those that fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

I'd stand in the way of anyone wishing to wipe out the wolf, he's just too interesting of a creature to not have him around.

but when you let folks that run off emotion and growing up on Disney make decisions about things they haven't seen or don't understand, you often get a cluster*&^%

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Gopher,
I have heard of that in Idaho, too.
whistle

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Large predators, preying on large prey, will choose the easiest individuals to kill. Most often these are the weak, the old, the young, the sick, or those which are incapacitated or hindered on some way. They will not turn down a target of opportunity as it is possibly the easiest. Obviously, the wolves do not examine the herd and choose only those which are in the poorest health or determine their chronological age. These creatures simply, most often are the ones that present the best opportunity for the least expenditure of effort and energy and are the least likely to inflict an injury on the predator. They will scavenge before they take a live animal too (not always but most of the time).

I don't know why it is so unbelievable that a wolf would kill more animals than they require for a meal. I have no experience with wolves but I have some (too much) experience with their kissin cousins, coyotes. Anyone who has raised chickens in coyote country will tell you that they will certainly kill more than they can eat in a sitting. So will skunks and other varmints.

You can't take a generalized statement and deal with it specifically. Most of the time. Somebody wins the Lottery every day, it's just never me.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1akhunter

what a shocker.....YAWN

that sort of behavior by wolves has been fairly documented for at least about 100 years.

it's why folks decided to so strictly control their numbers.

those that fail to study history are doomed to repeat it.

I'd stand in the way of anyone wishing to wipe out the wolf, he's just too interesting of a creature to not have him around.

but when you let folks that run off emotion and growing up on Disney make decisions about things they haven't seen or don't understand, you often get a cluster*&^%

exactly..

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Well, they could figure (assuming that wolves can figure) that the sick one is desert and the ones that are still running are the main course. They like to chase stuff and kill it, it's fun. That's why dogs chase cats and why wolves kill sheep.

Alan

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by gophergunner
The locals up in Northern Minnesota have their own way of dealing with wolf "problems." It's called, "Shoot, Shovel, and Shut Up."

For people that don't like to get their hands dirty, a hollow point or full metal jacket to the paunch works well too.

Why is it called a double u, should'nt it be called a double v?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 1akhunter

Amen and amen bro.

Wolves or coyotes or bears or bobcats and cougars are not furry people. They are wild animals and do what they do.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Boggy Creek Ranger

Wolves or coyotes or bears or bobcats and cougars are not furry people. They are wild animals and do what they do.

BCR

Probably the best description yet.

Alan

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
It was reported that two Wolves went on a sport killing spree in Eastern Oregon just outside the city of Baker.

They killed 19 23 sheep and left them to rot.

Oregon Fish and Wildlife are encouraging ranchers to get more dogs and electric fence. ( I can't help but laugh at this)
Yep - stupidity can be a scream at times... Sounds like our DNR too.. Dead cattle, dogs, humans, no biggie; gotta protect them WOLVES doncha know...

So for the textbook theory that wolves only kill the week and old that's pure bunk, and the wolves know it.

Sheep now, elk herds next.
But, (sputter, sputter) those wolves are VICTIMS!!!!!

mad

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

424 members (22kHornet, 1badf350, 160user, 22magnut, 1OntarioJim, 257robertsimp, 42 invisible), 1,524 guests, and 1,153 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,098
Posts18,522,238
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.