-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
After the rut, the big trophy bucks & bulls that we pursue as hunters ARE the weak.
Deep snow makes for easy pickings of all ages & sizes.
Wolves hunting in a pack are the most efficient killers in North America.
Fortunatley a few places allow for sensible control, an uphill battle with the "Animal Planet Biologists" here in the lower 48.
A friend of mine does his part every year.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Proud NRA Life Member
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Scorpion
No way in hell they should be wiped out, anywhere. That's a ridiculous statement. However, they really do need to be managed by hunters, ranchers, and wildlife agencies.
No argument there.

[Linked Image from images7.memedroid.com]
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by joecool544
You would probably feel a little different about them if they came into your yard and killed your pit bull.
What in Sam Hill are you talking about? What exactly do you think I feel about wolves that needs changing?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Alan_R_McDaniel_Jr
Originally Posted by TooDogs

See, where my place is, deer (fawns)are being killed by the increasing wolf, bear, coyote, and fischer population. And the adult deer make themselves scarce because of the predators. There is now a known wolf pack in my area, the bears are common. Coyote pop. up too.

Alright, Which one of these guy has been killing fawns?

Fischer 1 |ˈfi sh ər|
Fischer, Bobby (1943� ), U.S. chess player; full name Robert James Fischer. He defeated Boris Spassky in 1972 to become the world champion, a title he held until 1975.
Fischer 2 |ˈfɪʃər| |ˈfɪʃə|
Fischer, Emil Hermann (1852�1919), German organic chemist. He studied the structure of sugars, other carbohydrates, and purines and synthesized many of them. He also confirmed that peptides and proteins consist of chains of amino acids. Nobel Prize for Chemistry (1902).
Fischer 3 |ˈfɪʃər| |ˈfɪʃə| |ˈfɪʃɐ|
Fischer, Hans (1881�1945), German organic chemist. He determined the structure of the porphyrin group of many natural pigments. Nobel Prize for Chemistry (1930).

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Really though, I had no idea that a Fisher was big and bad enough to kill a fawn! I thought they were about like weasels or some such.

Alan

lol, bad speller me iz. Fisher Wikiped

GOA
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by joecool544
That�s the same kind of crap our liberal thinking hippies have in this state. You sure you�re not from Eugene or Portland????

Damn until they get down to the last elk there is always going to be one that�s unlucky or as the hippies say that is sick.
Nothing I've said in this thread is the least bit controversial unless you intentionally twist the meaning. There is no simpler to understand concept than that a hungry predator will prefer the easiest kill.

They take the sick, the old and the UNLUCKY! The old theory you espouse is just krap and no serious wildlife biologist would suggest it. Get over it.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
They take the sick, the old and the UNLUCKY! The old theory you espouse is just krap and no serious wildlife biologist would suggest it. Get over it.
Yeah, I'll just toss it aside along with the law of gravity and elliptical orbits.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
When you're wrong, you're wrong. You never seem to get that.

But don't believe me. Call Professor Decker at Colorado State University.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by toltecgriz
When you're wrong, you're wrong. You never seem to get that.

But don't believe me. Call Professor Decker at Colorado State University.
Would you mind formulating a cogent sentence that you believe summarizes my position on this question. I'm curious what you think you're arguing against. It simply cannot be what it appears.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Welcome to the jungle baby...finally other states are beginning to get the idea besides Idaho and Wyoming. There is no managing wolves. As wintering deer, elk, moose are pushed by wolves into inhabitable areas, starvation takes over and weakens more than just a few. With less wild habitat and forage areas today than 100 years ago, these animals don't have a chance. And do we simply close off domestic grazing areas when wolves move in? kinda like expecting mobsters to stay in New York and Chicago.
After awhile it just gets silly, all the talk about managing wolves in the lower 48.

Last edited by bearmgc; 04/16/09.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
you guys are arguing past each other......Hawkeye didn't say or imply what some seem to have drawn from his post. Of course, all things being equal, the slower and weaker target usually gets picked off first, since they're the first ones to get caught...that's all he said.

He didn't say they don't kill for the thrill of it, or that they never kill healthy animals, or that they don't kill more than they can eat, or that they ought to be cuddled and loved and protected.

in fact, if somebody would offer, I'm relatively sure ol' Hawkeye would be happy to come SS&S with you. I would, but I'd rather whack one in AK so I could keep the hide.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Tan your own. I won't tell.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
It seems clear to me that the wolves did not kill the sheep. The sheep committed suicide by hurling themselves against the wolve's teeth. It happens sometimes, especially in herd animals.
Actualy, when Colombus landed in this hemisphere, the coyote was quite limited in territory to the SW US and NW Mexico. It was only after eradication of the wolf, which had killed coyotes at every opportunity, that coyote populations expanded so that today they are all over the US and even into Canada.
I like wolves, they are fascinating animals. But I believe they should be restricted to the, increasingly many, "wilderness areas" and that wolves which depredate on livestock, especially near people's houses, should be killed. True, wolves don't USUALLY kill people, and USUALLY don't attack livestock. Have they EVER attacked livestock or killed people? Most certainly. The imposibility of pinpointing in advance which ones will do so makes it reasonable to strictly control the entire population. Wolf control is best, and cheapest to taxpayers, done by hunters and trappers. Just my thoughts.

Think direction first, then velocity.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
19 dead sheep in Oregon?

JeffO must be pissed....

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
you guys are arguing past each other......Hawkeye didn't say or imply what some seem to have drawn from his post. Of course, all things being equal, the slower and weaker target usually gets picked off first, since they're the first ones to get caught...that's all he said.

He didn't say they don't kill for the thrill of it, or that they never kill healthy animals, or that they don't kill more than they can eat, or that they ought to be cuddled and loved and protected.

in fact, if somebody would offer, I'm relatively sure ol' Hawkeye would be happy to come SS&S with you. I would, but I'd rather whack one in AK so I could keep the hide.

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by HawkI
19 dead sheep in Oregon?

JeffO must be pissed....

he'll find a new girlfriend

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
ewe are baaaaaad

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Well, in the wild they do only kill the sick and the old, but to them sheep are very easy prey. Even easier than a sick deer.

PS You might need to rebuild your coursing pack and get after those wolves. grin

Umm.. seems to me that the statement above is blatantly false. They ONLY kill the sick and old.. nope. Wrong. Admit it and move on.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Calhoun
Well, in the wild they do only kill the sick and the old, but to them sheep are very easy prey. Even easier than a sick deer.

PS You might need to rebuild your coursing pack and get after those wolves. grin

Umm.. seems to me that the statement above is blatantly false. They ONLY kill the sick and old.. nope. Wrong. Admit it and move on.
Not false, just not formulated in anticipation of being picked apart by hyper critics looking for something to disagree with. For it to be a perfect statement, I should have substituted weak or least fit for sick and old, but for the most part the above statement is true, and only someone looking for an argument would find fault with it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I personally believe that everyone of those [bleep] sons of bitches found outside of the park should have the exact rights as the coyotes.

[bleep] 'em!

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

Well, in the wild they do only kill the sick and the old,....

This is where you started. Now you're at "easiest meal."
Frequently the easiest meal is a prime, healthy critter that happens to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. The "sick and old" only is a myth. A few wolves are capable of taking down any ungulate in North America and do so on a regular basis.

I'm not anti-wolf per se, but the truth is the truth. Wolves and grizzly bears don't mix well in many places - sad but true.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

102 members (10gaugemag, 308xray, 300_savage, 41rem, 808outdoors, 12 invisible), 1,558 guests, and 923 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,720
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.