-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 52 of 173 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 172 173
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Anybody run the numbers this morning? I don't feel like pawing back through all the posts.

Here they are. Note, I'm not EVER, personally, gonna be hunting with either of these out to 1000 yards. I'm just playing this the way TryMe demanded- based on an arcane bullet at very long range, and plugging numbers into JBM. This was ALL STARTED by TryMe, I'm just going along with how he defined the points of debate. Which is why it's so much fun. The man has been clobbering people with insignificant ballistic minutia for the years I've been watching; now he gets clobbered back on his own terms and LOOK OUT, all hell breaks loose! Laffin'.

The .308 drops a bit more, but is almost exactly the same in terms of wind drift (which is the biggie) and velocity. Note that the .308 is within .7" or so wind-wise at 1000 yards. A rifleman capable of hitting an animal in the eye, will hit it in the eye with either one. Note also, that at 1000 yards the .308 is delivering ~200 ft/lbs more energy in the form of a larger, heavier bullet. I'm fer thinking that THAT has some advantages when the range is that long, and the energy is dropped that low... but whatever the point is, they are a wash. A reasonable person could choose either one, and defend said choice.

First, the 162 AMax at 2700 fps:

[Linked Image]

Next, the 208 Amax at 2600 fps, a load documented by MontanaMarine (Shane). Note, the BC of that bullet is .648, from memory (check if you care, it's .64x for sure). Some calculators don't have it in their library yet:

[Linked Image]

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
HR IC

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
One thing I know for sure about Jeff_0, he's got ass shooting and punching keys down to a science!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I was having some serious fun last night playing with the little fishies. Gotta dredge a few of these gems back up, for posterity in case anyone missed my sublime works of heartbreaking genius (hey, in a debate with a braggart, might as well act like one myself!)

Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Dude... have I got something for YOU!

You owe me for this one, big time.

OK, just between two bro's, your new handle sucks. It's a problem. It's sort of.. gay, no offense meant to our alternatively-sexed brethen.

Anyway, your problem is, you can't use "Big Stick" because, well, everyone knows that guy KNOWS a lot, but he's an [bleep]. Everyone knows he gets banned from internet forums everywhere, like here. You don't want to be "that guy".

So, today, here is what I have for YOU! A new handle! And it's perfect, it fits you in every way. AND, it's a humerous clever play off your old handle. Are you ready for this...? Are you READY for this?!

.keep going....

drum roll, please....

**************** Big Schtick! ******************

Dude, it is so perfect! Like I said, you owe me.

badaboom, crash

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Didn't care for this one at the time, but upon reflection, it's a beauty.

"There once was a man called hisself "Toltecgriz"
Who's accomplishments, we are told, just "is".
Though no story he'll share,
and no photo's, hey, who cares?
Who needs steak, if you've got the sizz..."

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
MikeNZ was nice enough to compile a few of 'em for me, but then he dropped the ball. What plonker.

Originally Posted by MikeNZ
JO, just so you don't decide to delete or edit these when you either grow up or sober up, I thought I'd preserve these highly intelligent posts of yours.

Oh- some poetry for you Scott!

"There once was a man names Scott,
who was reputed to be a pretty good shot.
But though not a misser,
he was a Big Stick ass-kisser
And so, his opinion was naught!"

There once was a plonker named Mike,
who's brain, it appears, is on strike!
He calls others a "dick",
Which is no fancy trick,
But gets angry, when back they strike!

"There once was a dude called Hawk1
Who's facade, in reality, was a mock one.
It blew down one spring,
'twas a beautiful thing,
because his man Larry had lost one!"

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
This one, eh, just OK. I will say, once you start thinking in Limerick, it's hard to stop, so if anyone is contemplating trying this in the safety of your own home- be careful!

"There once was a man called TryMe.
He proposed a "law", but then, Blimey!
Wrong it was proved,
but his minions were moved,
To continue with the insults, most slimy!"

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JO

sssshhhhhh......let the adults talk, go clean your room!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
At this point this is just an amusement to me. Big Schtick can't show, based on his own rules of the game, that the 7-08 will do anything the .308 won't plausibly do. On the other hand I can and have shown how the .308 will hang right with it in every way that matters, while exceeding it in at least a few ways that matter.

It's a conundrum for the guy, I feel his pain, I really do. But it is what it is. Methinks ol' Big Schtick has had this one coming for a long, long time. So since he's swallowed the hook, line, sinker, bobber, pole, and the forked stick it was resting on... who am I to stop the madness? Too much fun.

Laffin'.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
"There once was a guy called AlaskaCub
Who liked to make comments, but here's the rub:
his position was not backed,
by one single fact,
so he was reduced to a wee little nub!"

(hey... it's morning... Limericks are best done with a couple beers in ya, not coffee!)

(all in good fun, Cub. You're all right, most of the time)

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff-

I've forgotten a lot of things that I learned in college. The few nuggets I've managed to hang onto are the one's that I apply on a fairly regular basis. The application part of the process is what's eluding you here, although, you've applied the shovel to the increasingly deeper hole you're digging quite nicely.

Just let it go brother.....Let it go.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
About the only way this thing is going to end is if Rick locks it. This takes "obsessive" to a whole new level.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TryMe
I can't see driving a dull knife,when sharp ones are available.

The 7-08 is all of that and in S30V too.
so inside of 500 yards, my self imposed maximum range, what will the 7-08 oust the 308 at ?

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'll ride the horse as long as it keeps buckin'. I'm having a ball. I think we can all agree that Big Schtick would do the same if I were making a proposition as absurd as his. Can't let the brutha down; this is the game he chose, it wouldn't be fair for me to quit just 'cause he's losing, and squeeling like a pig <g>.

Live by the sword, die by the sword... the bigger they are, the harder they fall... etc.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
... shall we place bets on whether this thread makes the next Campfire newsletter? Grin...

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What on earth has got into you, Jeff??

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Heavy Duty Boozing?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Its kinda like watching a Lee24 thread now....Its just sad...

Actually not kinda like, its completely like a Lee24 thread.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I dunno,
Just wish that for his own sake he would tone it down some...

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Unfortunately, this thread or more like it will never go away until the parties that fuel them are eliminated. Takes a whole lot of fun out of this forum watching this.

I don't chime in much here, but I can and do learn from most everybody. This one however, is just an exercise in frustration.

Last edited by Kelk; 04/17/09.

Shut up and hunt!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You guys can argue all you want about 7mm-08 vs. .308. Doesn't bother me any. My last couple of deer were taken with a 6.8 SPC AR. The 110 TSX load from Silver State Armory takes down deer far better than you would ever think it would. I'm kind of moving to smaller cartridges and liking it. My dad used to shoot mule deer in Wyoming with an old Remington Model 8 in .32 Remington. He took a lot of deer at over 300 yards with iron sights. He did not have range finders or whatnot. Just experience with his rifle and the ability to judge distance.

Page 52 of 173 1 2 50 51 52 53 54 172 173

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

549 members (01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 54 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,463
Posts18,489,835
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.