Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 60 of 173 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 172 173
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by castandblast
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

I can go Jr. High with the best of 'em when the company requires that.

Telling......

But he needs a fake ID to convince anyone he's that old.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Jeff, read the history of the 7-08. It's reason for being is it's inherent long range performance.
No smoke and mirrors, no deceptive, fraudulent or insubstantial explanation. It is what it is.
I will say, and my gun safe will prove me out on this, I am almost as big on the 308 as the 7-08, recoil being the only difference to my old bones.
No place for me to hunt over maybe 250 yards except straight up or out over the Atlantic. Ain't sea level great!
Not suggesting you join Stick but you're not going to beat him..
geo

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
162 Amax. An arcane bullet that no one uses is on Wiki. Who'da thunk it?

"With the wide range of bullet weights available, the 7mm-08 is suitable for "varminting, game-hunting, silhouette, and long-range shooting."[2] It is also eminently suitable for plains game."[1] For long-range target and metallic silhouette shooting, the "plastic-tipped 162gr A-Max has proven to be very accurate, with an impressive 0.625 BC. This A-Max bullet, and the 150gr Sierra MK (i.e., MatchKing), are also very popular with silhouette shooters."[2]

The 7 mm-08 Remington works well in most hunting environments, including dense forest areas and large open fields. It has a slightly flatter trajectory than the .308 Win. and .30-06 Springfield at similar bullet weights because the slightly smaller-diameter 7mm bullet generally has a better ballistic coefficient, and is thus less affected by drag and crosswind while in flight. Bullet energy at 100 yards is four times greater than that of the .44 Magnum while recoil is only slightly more than the .243 Win.

Wayne van Zwoll of Petersen's Hunting magazine wrote: "Efficient case design and a bullet weight range suitable for most North American big game make the 7mm-08 a fine choice for all-around hunting. Civil in recoil, it's a perfect match for lightweight, short-action rifles. It has also courted favor on metallic silhouette ranges, where its 140-grain bullets reach 500-yard targets faster and with as much energy as 150-grain .308s."[3] He also described it as "deadly" for elk.

[edit] Cartridge Comparisons"

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
"Anything a 7mm can do, a .30 caliber of comparable sectional density and ballistic coefficient can also do. The catch is, in order to send a .30-caliber slug over a trajectory as flat as that 7mm bullet, about 20 percent more recoil is going to be generated. . . . [A bullet in] 7mm produces clearly superior downrange performance in terms of delivered energy and trajectory at any given recoil level [compared to a bullet in .30 caliber].[4]

Because of the 7mm (.284) calibers greater ballistic co-efficient the 7mm-08 tends to bleed a lot less energy as it heads down range. It is well known that beyond a hunting range of 100 yards a 7mm-08 projectile in the 140 grain range is able to carry at lot more energy than its bigger sibling the .308. Hornady released a 7mm(.284)caliber projectile weighing an odd 139 grains. this particular bullet has set the benchmark for this caliber of bullet retaining great energy beyond 100 yards. within 100 yards the 7mm round fired out of a 7mm-08 is able to kill game as effectively as a .308 and beyond 100 yards is more effective in that it holds greater energy and also a flatter trajectory. at the velocities this caliber produce it still allows great expansion at ranger up to and beyond 500 yards."

I realize it's wiki. smile

I Burn While I See
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good post Rman

I Burn While I See
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
JeffO
Just caught your little limerick to Paul W... The one where you brought his mother into the game. You have previously proven yourself an idiot, an ass, clueless and incompetent.

But new lows have been reached when you start talking about anothers mother and referencing sex acts. You obviously fail to get it. Add completely classless to your list of accomplishments.

And just so you understand what everybody else sees in the "Really too Obvious to Mention" column on your ballistic program, but you of course miss... You have to start with equal chamber pressures and a Real World possible COAL. Then you have to have Real World, attainable velocities... Strike two if you are counting sentences, Strike Three if you are counting errors in your claim.

Then comes the really hard part, understanding what it is your program really is telling you. That would be Strike three if you managed to foul one of the others off... Speaking of foul, please forget I exist and I will try to do the same for you. Thinking I picked the easy job for myself...

If you had the slightest speck of shame or decency or honor or anything else humans attempt to attain, you would at least apologize for being total slime.
art wishing the OR real estate market would rise to unprecedented levels. (blatantly stolen from 458Lott)

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
This conversation is older than the hills;7mm's have been winning the argument over 30's when it comes to downrange trajectories,with lighter bullets and less felt recoil,etc,for decades.

TryMe is right;the only cartridge based on a 308 case that I have ever considered using is the 7/08,my use of which goes clear back to its' introduction around 1980,I think.You cannot run fast enough to gimme a 308. I'm glad so many others like it grin

Not that 30's are no good, mind you;just that to get comparable performance and trajectories,etc from the 30's you are gonna get kicked harder,and have to burn more powder behind heavier bullets to do it.Big game hunters like Page,Hagel,and O'Connor knew this years ago.And current target shooters have figured it out as well,as evidenced by the move to 6.5's in the formal target games,like Wimbledon.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
All I know is I am grateful for the new customized Rem Ti in 7mm-08 I just picked up from my FFL.

I learned a lot in the 10-12 posts that were actually helpful to my purchase.

Whether right or wrong, many of your posts, JO, were rather pathetic and shameful. The only emotion I could muster up was pity!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
isaac: Good luck with your new rifle. smile

In case you're wondering,the 7/08 works real well up close,too.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Isaac,

all the best for the new rifle. Hope to see some pics. I have been after a 7 mm for some time, too. Never could decide, too. Just ended up with another .30-06, but that is another story.

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Lets keep this going...why stop now...more food for thought

"I can say without hesitation that sub 30 caliber rifles simply do not provide a blood trail that those 30 caliber and over do. There has to be a minimum someplace. From what I have seen with lots of NA hunting along with many years of work with African animals that minimum line is at .308 diameter."

-JJHACK 01/18/08 24hourcampfire

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...&topic=0&Search=true#Post1950087

Last edited by SAKO75; 04/19/09.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey, what's this blood trail thing? Generally just see blood and tissue around the exit side of the equation, when dropping deer with the 25-06 and a 100gr Btip.

Does this mean I'd have to put it up during deer season in favor of some 30 Cal. and just use it for varmints?

sick

With a bit more effort we could likely punch this baby up to at least 20K posts.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
I'm sure JeffO will expound on such, given his vast experience chasing herd animals, sans gun, with crank in hand....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recall that thread. In the context of shooting an animal amongst a herd in Africa, it might be a consideration.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
JeffO
Just caught your little limerick to Paul W... The one where you brought his mother into the game. You have previously proven yourself an idiot, an ass, clueless and incompetent.

But new lows have been reached when you start talking about anothers mother and referencing sex acts. You obviously fail to get it. Add completely classless to your list of accomplishments.

Originally Posted by Paul Walukewicz
you're a load your mother should have swallowed.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...&topic=0&Search=true#Post2717196

It's all in fun, but lets keep it real. grin

WAR EAGLE!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The only question left is when Art realizes that it was Paul who said that to Jeff and not the other way around, does he put Paul on ignore and apologize to Jeff? wink

Anybody who seriously concerns themselves with the adequacy of a Big 7mm for anything we hunt here short of brown bear, is a dufus. They are mostly making shidt up. Crunch! Nite-nite!

Stolen from an erudite CF member.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
JeffO
You have previously proven yourself an idiot, an ass, clueless and incompetent.
And just so you understand what everybody else sees in the "Really too Obvious to Mention" column on your ballistic program, but you of course miss... You have to start with equal chamber pressures and a Real World possible COAL. Then you have to have Real World, attainable velocities... Strike two if you are counting sentences, Strike Three if you are counting errors in your claim.

Then comes the really hard part, understanding what it is your program really is telling you. That would be Strike three if you managed to foul one of the others off... Speaking of foul, please forget I exist and I will try to do the same for you. Thinking I picked the easy job for myself...

The rest would still stand.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not playing that game OCC. Coming back to fundamental points, he should not have gone there anymore than Paul should have. Trying to determine primacy of insults would require effort. I have seen lots of stuff thrown by lots of parties and only the last one matters when it crosses lines.

Further, there may have been something I said about it at the time...

Regardless what came before, his line was out of line...
YMMV
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Where did Stick go? Usually he is the loudest on any site.

Page 60 of 173 1 2 58 59 60 61 62 172 173

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1Akshooter, 54 invisible), 2,429 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,463
Posts18,489,835
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.