Print Thread
Hop To
J
janos Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I'm looking for a good all inclusive hunting mag, that has a ton of scenic and game photos, as well as smaller articles. I want to get my dad a new subscription and he really appreciates seeing the game others take and the settings for different hunts.

He normally hunts Deer, Black Bear, and Turkey in the SW NY area (aside from the mountain of woodchucks he's bagged over the years).

He has gotten a few mags in the past, but some are filled with long articles and with his eyes starting to go a bit, he doesn't enjoy reading for a long time and he's complained about not really enjoying his current subscriptions.

I'm not going to list what he has right now, I just want opinions on what you guys read, and what you like or don't like.

He really appreciates Rocky Mountain, and Alaskan hunts, as well as any other area in NA...and the mag should have a decent focus on these regions, but the mag could include other regions as a bonus or something.

Oh as an edit: subscription coming 2X a month would also be nice (once a month would be OK), but not interested in 2-3 annually type of thing.

Last edited by janos; 04/19/09.

There is room for all of God's creatures...right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You could get him a membership in the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation. It has been a while since I was a member, but they had a nice magazine (Bugle) that was full of great pictures in elk country and good hunting articles.

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
North American Hunting Club puts out a nice magazine, IMO.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pick up a copy of Fur Fish and Game. No fluff here-just good nuts and bolts kind of articles. If you want to go on a guided safari in Africa, this ain't the mag for you. If you want good articles about real no nonsense hunting, fishing and trapping, you'll like what you see.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
though I don't care for the trophy lean on eastmans, I thought the articles were done well enough and nice pics in the mags. Its certainly not for your everday hunter as many hunts are once in a lifetime tags or outfitters way beyond what I could ever afford dollar wise. And it was as mentioned, about trophy animals, not about average ones or cow/doe hunts, but is any mag?

FFG I always enjoyed. Don't know why I let that lapse. Probably like the others, no time to read.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I will just add that all of the above would be good choices..

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
North American game is a good one that is not filled with advertisement's. Field and stream is the worst {all ads}.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I personally like "Successful Hunter" by Wolfe Publishing. Best pure hunting mag I've come across in years. Not so damn much advertising, either!

J
janos Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Thanks So far guys. I'll check these out and see if I like any, but it sounds like I may find what I'm looking for...

But keep any other suggestions coming if you got 'em.

There is room for all of God's creatures...right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes and gravy.
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Pa. Game News, published by the Pa. Game Commission. Lots of hunting articles, some nature type, Field Notes from PGC staff, and several monthly columns. Not many photos of the kind you're looking for but NO ADS either.

Petersens Hunting. They seem to have switched to more monthly columns and fewer 'big articles but I still think it's pretty good.

North American Hunter from the North American Hunting Club. Magazine is pretty good but I'm not sure I'd recommend it in this situation due to the 'extra club stuff'.

Alaska Magazine. Not a hunting mag but great photography and interesting articles.

Dale

This space for rent

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sports Afield is a pretty good mag. I'll second the recommendation of FFG, no frills, no pretense, but has good information.

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." TJ

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing". EB

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Eastmans hunting journal. It covers the area you say he likes like the Mountain west and Alaska and has a lot of hunter written stories and isn't like a lot of hunting magazines where it seems every month is the same format of story with XXXX replaced with YYYY this month.

Otto is my co-pilot.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
anyone read Petersons Hunting or the Whitetail Journal? Any Opinions

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
i subscribe to petersons hunting and enjoy it. for me, sports afield, field and stream, and outdoor life are a waste of money. others may differ.

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Since I gave up on the Wolfe mags some time ago, about the only one I pick up now is Fur Fish and Game. Good straight forward articles but it does not have as much high end gloss as in pictures as some of the big name mags.

4 out of 5 Great Lakes prefer Michigan. smile
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I find most glossy outdoors magazines to be crap, but if I had to choose one publication, it'd be Wisconsin Outdoor News.
This newspaper is also available for Michigan, Pennsylvania, Minnesota, Ohio, Illinois, and your dad's state New York.
You can get an idea of what it is like here. You can read a sample copy here.
It's got decent articles, and when you're done with it, you can light your grill with it.

Have an A1 Day!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1lesfox, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 58 invisible), 2,370 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,381
Posts18,488,572
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.