Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Greetings
A friend and I won an African safari a while back at a Friends of the NRA auction and after saving for 2 years, we go this summer. The 1st African hunt for both of us
The PH is offering a package
Kudu or Gemsbuck
Impala
Blesbuck
Warthog
Blue Wildebeest
Zebra
$5500
There is a clause saying if an animal is not taken for any reason, I am still liable for 70% of the trophy fee.
The ANY Reason part is bothering me. I don't mind paying if I miss or suddenly decide to go vegan, but I do have an issue paying fees if I don't even see the animal.
Is this a standard deal and clause? Am I making a mountain out of a molehill? I have met the PH in person and I believe he is an honest man. So, before I do/say something embarassing I'd like to hear some opinions while I can hide behind the anonymity of the internet.
Thanks

Last edited by Bigchoad; 04/19/09.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds a little fishy to me, but I'm sure others with a whole lot more insight will put their .02 cents in.

Life is just one damned thing after another
J
J
It's $5,500 plus trophy fees?? Not a good deal at all. Even with all trophy fees included it's no bargain, a respected operator in the Eastern Cape recently offered this package:

10 days 11 nights, 1x1 $5,235
1 x Kudu
1 x Impala
1 x Springbuck, common
1 x Black Wildebeest
1 x Warthog over 8�
1 x Warthog under 8�
1 x Duiker or Steenbuck
1 x Blesbuck, common

Generally, in a package deal, the trophy fees for all listed animals are included in the package price. That wording about 70% would require some clarification if it were my hunt.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
The $5500 is the trophy fee
The auction bid got us the food/lodging/PH

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
+1 on sounding fishy....
Ingwe

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
if the 5500 is just the trophy fees then you are not getting any kind of "deal".

J
J
Then not even close to a "deal", the package I cited was all-inclusive, food, lodging, PH and tracker/skinner and trophy fees for the listed animals, with additional animals available for just the extra trophy fees.

If you take a full bag you'll be looking at over $10k for a $5k plains game hunt.

For that kind of money these folks will put you a package together that includes a chance at a leopard.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
In a month I'm going for 10 days for 3 of us for $4500 plus trophy fees. I hunted with them last year and had a wonderful hunt. The trophies are very good there: 42" oryx male,31.5" Wildebeest,36" eland-for example.
My sons have never been before.

Last edited by drducati; 04/19/09.

Anything Worth Doing Is Worth Overdoing
J
J
If I was shopping for a plains game hunt Roy would definitely be high on my shopping list.

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
It may not be my place to comment, as I a an outfitter as well, but that is not a great deal. Most, if not all outfitters will have a better deal, inclusive of trophy fees and dayfees.

Ndumo Hunting Safaris
IC B3

J
J
Karl,

What do you make of this outfitter wanting 70% of the trophy fees for any animals NOT taken??

K
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
K
Jeff, I have no idea what he actually means by that. Sometimes, in a package, you pay the full price of the package irrespective of if you shoot all the animals listed. But seeing that it's basically just a trophy package, (as they "won"the dayfees), I think he is selling the normal package at the normal price to these guys. In other words, they won nothing.
Normally we let people swap out animals up to a point, if say for instance, they cannot get a duiker, I personally would be happy if he shoots another springbok or warthog.
Hunters should remember, that a package deal is cheaper for a reason, that reason mostly are that the game on the package list are in high supply, and the outfitter clump them together, add a little profit, and maybe add an "glamour" animal like a kudu in there at cost, to sweeten the deal.

Ndumo Hunting Safaris
J
J
Karl,

Yeah, I understand that most packages that include one each of A, B, C, D and E means I can take those animals without further charge but I'm not guaranteed all of them, but I don't think I've ever run across anybody charging 70% of a trophy fee for animals NOT taken.

I'm glad it's not my money tied up in this screwy deal, but I fear Bigchoad may be in line for a screwin'.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Gee, thanks
Jeff, I have no idea what he actually means by that. Sometimes, in a package, you pay the full price of the package irrespective of if you shoot all the animals listed. But seeing that it's basically just a trophy package, (as they "won"the dayfees), I think he is selling the normal package at the normal price to these guys. In other words, they won nothing.

"if any trophy animal in the package is not hunted, for whatever reason, 30% of the trophy price as per price list, will be deducted from that specific animal from the package"; I assume that means I'm on the hook for 70% of the trophy fee. And that's assuming I take his package offer.
As for winning nothing, the NRA won my auction money and thats fine by me and I'm still going to Africa and that's great too Anyway I'm locked into this outfitter and I'm still deciding if I want this package or just make my own up.
Any other PH's out there I'll be interested in your input
Thanks all

Last edited by Bigchoad; 04/20/09.
J
J
Bigchoad,

Just my opinion, and folks who know more will no doubt point out where I'm wrong if I am, but I would pass on the "package". Based on your list of animals it doesn't look like there is much (if any) savings off what most outfitters charge for trophy fees, so the only thing you are getting in the "package" is being on the hook for 70% on animals not taken.

If you are committed to this outfitter I'd suggest you just tell him what animals you want on a straight trophy fee basis, paid on animals taken or wounded. If he gives you any flack drop him, because there are fine outfitters who will put your entire hunt together for little or no more than the $5,500 he wants. Including, I suspect, Karl (although I cannot speak for him).

I suspect you are basically getting nothing for whatever you paid at the auction.

M
M
I'm with Karl on this one, I personally don't see this as a "good" deal.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Bigchoad,

Don't worry about a bunch of naysayers on here. Someone's always bought a car cheaper than you did. Go have fun and don't worry about your 'deal'. If for whatever reason you don't get a listed animal and the outfitter holds the 30%, then just deduct it from the tips. Simple
As far as what's offered, I don't see a problem. The optional list offered on here is one I wouldn't take.
And if I can offer one piece of advice - go for the kudu. You can always put in for New Mexico's Oryx draw hunt or even hunt one of them on a ranch in New Mexico. I don't know of any place that offers kudu.

Last edited by bluefin; 04/20/09.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I try to read positives into the situation. If it is an inclusive package, returning 30% on non hunted species is admirable. It does sound like a package deal sold as a per animal trophy fee. If your all up cost for the hunt is the 5500 @ the outfitter and you are happy with the cost, go and have a good time. I did not purchase my hunt based on lowest cost, but on the outfitter's attitude regarding land reclamation, animal selection, his conservancy record regarding non game animal re-establishment etc etc. It sounds to me like your purchase was in part motivated by support for the NRA. It is good to be willing to put your pocketbook where your heart lies.

Go and enjoy every minute, every breath of Africa, every new plant, animal and experience awaiting you. Do not let the worries override the anticipation. My cost for ten days all inclusive was 5800 for my wife and I. Kudu, black wildebeast, springbok, blesbok, and mountain reedbuck included. I paid 1400 for a gemsbok on top of the package. I could have got a better deal but know the extra money goes directly to habitat and biodiversity. I am happy with that.

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Way more information required to make a opinion,for me anyway.

Depends on the outfitter,here's why;

If you add up typical trophy fees for your game listed it's not overpriced,just not a great "deal".But only if your allowed to shoot real trophies and not just excess quota.

I see alot of small Warthog and Kudu off package hunts.

I'll give you my take;I hunted in Natal on a discount hunt for Nyala.Outfitter could have had me take any cull and said good.But I was able to take one of the best that year,because the guy stood behind his word.He sold it as a trophy hunt and that's how it was conducted.

SA Kudu fees can be up there for 55" or better.I'm not a real big inches hunter,but you should be taking quality animals(ie. good size and mature)for the price listed.

Like everything you get what you pay for,most of the time.

I would talk to him and ask for realistic trophy potential.You already said you like the guy and that's a good start.

You could also do a little more research by giving us his name,to see if anyone hear has dealt with the outfit in question.

Good Luck

Dinsdale

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
I did an average on a bunch of brochures I have for RSA trophy fees and your in the ball park on trophy fees as they averaged $4550 total for your listed animals. Trophy quality could/should make a difference also.

Check out your references by phone and thats a pretty good guide.

It doesn't sound like to me your in trouble on the trophy fees but I don't like the insert of "for whatever reason". That means if you don't see any of the animals listed, its your tough luck IMO...He should at least guarentee you a reasonable shot on all animals mentioned..He is just leaving himself a safety net, but you may have been privy to that information at the time of the sale if that was so stated at the auction or its posting, if so, then that is your fault and your really have little recourse other than negociation. However I feel that if you discuss this issue with him, he will bow to your wishes..

You will get a lot of hoopla on trophy fees being too high etc. but usually what you will find is that if a Safari company is high on Kudu then they may be underpriced on say Eland or whatever and if you total all the trophies fees listed to other safari companies totals it pretty much evens out.

Also a Safari Company may have high trophy fees and cheap daily rates and/or visa versa.....Remember it costs X dollars to do a safari, and if they are below that mark, then you better start worrying...

A lot of cleaver marketing practice goes on, but the bottom line is its all pretty close by the time you get the total bill, at least for a legitimate outfit, at least for the most part...

Don't go too cheap, and you don't have to go with the high dollar guys either, find a middle of the road outfit with a good reputation thats been around a long time and go..

Last edited by atkinson; 04/20/09.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (10Glocks, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 61 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,435 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,194
Posts18,485,016
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.