-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
so i went to work a little distracted the other day. my mind was elsewhere all day long, and for some reason i got to pondering Star Wars. i loved the movies, and still prefer the older ones to the new ones.

but i also got to thinking what kind of energy it would actually take to power that laser on the death star that destroyed the planet.

could you imagine how much energy it would actually take? i mean, how many homes could you power with that? what would it look like if you shot a ground squirrel with the death star? would you really have to hit it?

i dont know any of the answers to these questions, but it made me think about some awfully wierd stuff to make the time pass.

what do you get to thinking about when your mind wanders at work?

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84

Why the hell didnt I go to college

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
you could under the trade act...

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Did you know each second during the eruption of Mt. ST. Hellens was equilivant to the energy of one of the atomic bombs dropped on Japan to end WWII? It went on for nine hours at that rate. And that was a small volcanic eruption as volcanos go.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Dont know what your talking about. I probly will still go though. Just gotta get alotta schit figured out first

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
i didnt know that Rich, but thanks for enlightening me.

seems pretty intense for a small eruption though. a lot of damage was done there.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mud_bogger
Dont know what your talking about. I probly will still go though. Just gotta get alotta schit figured out first

like what to study???

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
among other things

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
HA HA, i'm a ranger now!!! grin

Last edited by ironeagle_84; 04/18/09.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
but i also got to thinking what kind of energy it would actually take to power that laser on the death star that destroyed the planet.

could you imagine how much energy it would actually take?

Well, I found some figures in an article written about using lasers to drill for oil that you need a pulse (dono how long, but not very) from a 920W laser to vaporize one cubic centimeter of Berea gray sandstone from a range of approximately one inch.

So...if Alderaan was an Earth-sized world made entirely of Berea gray sandstone, and we assume that the energy required increases linearly with the volume of rock (which it almost certainly doesn't), and the Death Star fired from, say, five planetary diameters out to avoid being destroyed by flying debris...

...then vaporizing 1.10 octillion cubic centimeters of Alderaan would require a pulse from a laser of 1.01 nonillion watts. That's 1.10e27 cm^3 vaporized by 1.01e30 W. We'll assume space is perfectly transparent, and ignore the inverse-square law since we're dealing with a laser rather than a point source. (Some physics guy can correct me if I'm wrong about that.)

Now keep in mind, that's output power. The lasers we know about today range from around 0.1% efficiency to 30% efficiency. Let's assume that a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away, they figured out how to make high-powered lasers 50% efficient.

That of course means that to get a power output of 1.01e30 W, you'd need a power input of 2.02e30W. 1.01e30 W is transferred to Alderaan to vaporize it, and the other 1.01e30 W--enough to vaporize another Alderaan--is produced inside the (much smaller) Death Star as waste heat.

I'll let somebody more conversant with the E = mc^2 equation figure out how much matter would need to be converted directly into energy to produce a 2.02e30W pulse of energy (say, 0.1s long?).

i mean, how many homes could you power with that?

Well, you can run most homes most of the time on 5kW. 2.02e30 / 5e3 = 404e27: over four hundred octillion homes. For a tenth of a second, anyway.

what would it look like if you shot a ground squirrel with the death star?

Same as what it'd look like if you shot Alderaan with the Death Star, I imagine.

would you really have to hit it?

You'd at least have to hit the planet it was on, yes.

Tapioca, mostly.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
thank you Barak for this enlightening post...

i will put a top notch Leupold scope on my death star laser immediately and start persuing ground squirrels at once. i am thinking 1.5-4x magnification. i think that would suffice to find a planet with a ground squirrel dont you???

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
And to think I just fantasize about my wife or the latest Cowboy Action gun I would like to get.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

bcp Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
When my mind wanders it often takes me a while to find it.

Bruce

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
thank you Barak for this enlightening post...

i will put a top notch Leupold scope on my death star laser immediately and start persuing ground squirrels at once. i am thinking 1.5-4x magnification. i think that would suffice to find a planet with a ground squirrel dont you???

Only if the planet's in the same star system you are.

"But whether the Constitution really be one thing, or another, this much is certain--that it has either authorized such a government as we have had, or has been powerless to prevent it. In either case, it is unfit to exist." --Lysander Spooner, 1867
S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Actually according to the current Democrat administration, it will take only one gallon of ethonal, one 5x5 solar panel and one windmill....with $900,000,000,000,000, in new taxes to produce the ethonal and windmill first....

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
yes, and the taxes would come from the lower middle class people who are still employed, and nothing from the higher classes who dont even need to work.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I dunno, my mind wonders to my wife often, but then again I"ve never thought of tapioca, but I sure think of it after supper is done often enough... Might have to move it up a notch or so.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's alla dat there nuk-u-ler energy, ya see.

Sometimes I wonder why I didn't bother joining the military and trying to join special forces. Sometimes I also wonder about other stuff I've done and wish I did differently.

Have seen some cool CO2 (carbon dioxide) lasers here at the School of Engineering. The Electrical Engineering department has couple. They had small one burn a hole in small brick, the big one is powerful enough to burn a hole through the building. It only take about 10 years of graduate level classes in 3 different departments to be allowed to play with them, too.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
HA HA, i'm a ranger now!!! grin

Piker.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Huh my mind got to wandering at work the other day...

But then I realized I'm retired?

NRA Lifetime Member

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

648 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 163bc, 10gaugeman, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,536 guests, and 1,219 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,432
Posts18,507,574
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.