Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
pick Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well today I did what I have not done in such a long time that I do not remember cleary the last time. I went and bought a FACTORY NEW rifle over the counter from the dealer!<P>Most of the stuff I have has been horse trades, personal deals, and family 'swaps' and such. Well to the what she IS...<P>Savage 110F in 257 Roberts...<P>This is the synthenic stock, piller bedded with a 22 inch tube.<P>Well this is were the story goes south. I bought this on an impulse, and when I got home, just as I was unloading it from the car the wife pulls into the driveway. I was hopping to get it into the gun room before she was back, and then pick my time as to when to spring the news. Well so much for my idea.<P>She never raised her voice, never threatend me, but just the look she gave me as she got out of the van let me know I was headed to the dog house BIG time and for quite awhile. Well two and half hours latter I could put the rifle in the gun room. I thought the price of firearms where steep, little did I know. My 'probation' is three months (yes THREE) with out any powder, bullets, or any other shooting supplies purchases.. OUCH !!! I think if I budget some of my shooting habits the current supply of bullets, powder, and primers will last. Plus I am all ready figuring to bum off some the range buddies the last week or so. Man that is a steep price for ONE rifle [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] but I have it and the Ol' 722 Rem in 257 has a stable mate now to keep it company.<P>BTW the rifle was $299 over the counter, before I got home.<P>How did I do? On both the money and domestic fronts?

..pick..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Crime and punishment. Buying the rifle without notifying her is a crime, and not buying more reloading stuff is the punishment. I expect we all(save for JJ and a few others) go through this. I'd say you made off good, considering you can keep the rifle for the rest of your life, but can start to buy reloading stuff in a matter of months. Hang in there, buddy, you're not alone. ~~~Suluuq

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Luckily, I get no static from my wife about firearms. I have over 60 rifles and about two doqen pistols and shotguns. In 40 years of marriage I have never heard a thing from her about another firearm and I don't tell her what makeup to buy. She knows what side the bread is buttered on plus she is a shooter herself, owning a dozen guns of her own. I really feel sorry for you guys who have to put up with this crap, but I understand the problem. Some of my friends go through the same thing.

pick Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
John..<P>It is not a gun thing, it is a $ thing. My wife shoots, (dang well too), and she is not against firearms per say, just how much I spended on them. What really made this one throny for her is I did it without any forewarning. For me that is very rare, but the Savage in 257 is also rare, and this was the last of his stock, so now or never.<P>I have to say in all honesty I do not blame her, I just did not think the 'punishment' would be so steep... I have found the key to being married is LOVE each other first. Understanding is nice but not necessary. Given the choice between my guns and my wife, I would have to choose my wife, but thank the good lord that I do not have to make that choice.<P>It does keep the relationship exciting [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]

..pick..
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I've always gone by the theory...... She's gonna be mad anyway....don't ask, just buy it! That way at least you HAVE your new toy!<BR> Besides, when my wife gets mad she just gets real quiet. You see.......its the best of both worlds! [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If it came to a choice between my guns and my wife I would be single again in short order.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Thats tuff, i hope you manage your 3 months well. This is a example of why we all need have a good ammo stash.

----------------

"Anyone who would trade their freedom for safety deserves neither freedom or safety". -Ben Franklin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
pick, I too share the desire for more guns. (Doesn't everyone? [img]images/icons/crazy.gif" border="0[/img] ) I have been wanting (lusting after) a 375 H&H for a while to fill the gap between my weenie-gun (270 Win) & the "large varmint gun", (458 Win). Fortunately, my financial situation looks to be on the upswing and after satisfying a few overdue obligations (household projects, paying off the truck etc) it looks like I'll be in the money again. Of course, there is also the 7mm-08 for my eldest daughter so that she can give the 243 to the younger one [img]images/icons/crazy.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/crazy.gif" border="0[/img] sigh, never ends, does it? [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] badger.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

pick Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the support and understanding fellas. I will get through it I am sure. I am sure we all agree, we need no BTAF, we are married and have responsibilites. Those keep us in check far better then any Gov thing ever will.<P>And Badger, given the choice between one for yourself or the daughter, go with the daughter. It will keep them in this wounderful passion of ours, and you can share in her delight as well. Of course here is hoping you can swing both...<P>I guess we could all say 'so many guns, and so little time and money'<P>Just a forwarning to ALL...<P>In two and half months or so I will probably be shamelessly begging you all, to find a 'charity' supply of 'goods' to send down range..<P>YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED ...

..pick..
N
N
My wife is funny about gun purchases. She thought she found a way to punish me. She demands that (when I get caught) I buy her a new gun. She picks the caliber she thinks I dislike the most and demands one NOW! So I mumble a few choice words under my breath and stomp a little on my way out the door. By the time I get to the gun shop, I have a shi& eatin grin on my face. The owners says to me "She did it again?" We both chuckle and I place my new order.<P>Gotta marry a shooter, man!<P>Nate

I like to ask question as if to make myself appear stupid...that way, I avoid all posibilities of being held responsible!
IC B3

T
T
Just when I thought I could buy an '06 a buddy has for sell, I started building a new garage and I'm WAY over budget and olny half way done. The worst part was I decided to treat myself to a new recipricating saw and hammer drill-about the cost of the used rifle. My bride somehow thinks these are extra "toys" I probably didn't need. Hey, look at all the other projects you've done without them! Long story short, if anyone is looking for a beautiful sporterizes Enfield that prints a cloverleaf at 100 yards. I know where there's one I won't be buying.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The piper has to be paid.My cost is in time,holidaies cashed in,banked OT cashed in or lost week-ends,4 days equals one good used rifle,two weeks one new with trimmings.Either that or the frown. [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img]

You can hunt longer with wind at your back
F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Hey, I have only one vice. No smoking, drinking or chasing other women. I do buy guns and have bought a few in leiu of the vices listed above. My wife understands this and shoots what I bring home, some times this is a difficult thing as I am on my third M1100, wife, daughter and then the one that I just picked up.... [img]images/icons/shocked.gif" border="0[/img]

Fish Springs
L
L
My motto: "Easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission."<P>Of course, I'm not married and don't have to answer the piper!<P>Next time, stock up on reloading supplies before you buy a new gun.

L
L
My motto: "Easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission."<P>Of course, I'm not married and don't have to answer the piper!<P>Next time, stock up on reloading supplies before you buy a new gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Guys, save yourselves some time. Put your gunsafe IN the doghouse. That way you'll spend more time with it.<P>Talus

B
B
PICK,not to worry . You've got the gun you needed and Soon ,she will be mad at you for the next gun or another reason. And so we have the cycle of married life.

my thoughts in the woods" Man, there's just too many freaking squirrels around here"
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My wife, now x-wife, gave me an ultimatum: either the guns go or she goes. I've had to buy a new and larger gun safe since then.<P>Bullwnkl.

Money talks Bull [bleep] walks
Business as usual
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Why, you bunch of whimps. You've got to put a woman in her place and show her who's boss. Of course, I'm twice divorced now and living alone so take this advice with a grain of salt [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img] <P>Dan Johnson

L
L
If you cannot beat 'em .... with their gun spending then sure as heck join them ... take up the sport and buy your own ... LOL [img]images/icons/laugh.gif" border="0[/img]

Try anything once ... if you don't you may regret never trying ...
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

89 members (7mm_Loco, 444Matt, 1_deuce, 338reddog, 79S, 2ndwind, 8 invisible), 1,537 guests, and 761 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,368
Posts18,488,296
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.