Print Thread
Hop To
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I'm looking at an older S&W Model 29 on Guns America, and that's what the description says. What does it mean? Is it a good or bad thing?

Guessing that Kevin or someone out there can help me out.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Pinned (barrel) and Recessed (counterbored chambers) is a term referring to some older S&Ws.
Prior to 1983 all Smiths had pinned barrels, and the magnums and rimfires had recessed chambers. In '83 they eliminated both features, much to the chagrin of Smith lovers everywhere.

P&R guns will bring a premium over later guns, other things being equal.

However, all that being said, A m29 being described as "P but not R" makes no sense to me. M29s were either "P&R" or not. Perhaps the original cylinder was replaced?

A link to the listing might help.

Pete

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some guns in the transition period may have had P or R but not the other. If the SN dates to 1982-3 this is likely the case here.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RufusG
Some guns in the transition period may have had P or R but not the other. If the SN dates to 1982-3 this is likely the case here.

I have had M29s and M57s from that time period, some were pinned and not recessed and some were recessed and not pinned. Some had the post-1968 "N" prefix for the serial number and others had the newer three letter prefix. S&W just used what parts they had at hand during the transition.

I personally don't miss the recessed cylinder chambers. They are a pain to clean. Would have rather they kept the pinned barrels as I think it is a better way to do things rather than the cursh fit. One poster over on the S&W Forums has had his non-barrel on a M29 shoot loose three times... Have never seen another one do that.

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
http://www.gunsamerica.com/93934336...and_Wesson_629_2_in_44_Magnum_REDUCE.htm

Here's the link - for some reason I can't create a hyperlink with it but you can copy & paste into your browser.

Does this look like a good deal?

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by SavutiOneShot
Pinned (barrel) and Recessed (counterbored chambers) is a term referring to some older S&Ws.
Prior to 1983 all Smiths had pinned barrels, and the magnums and rimfires had recessed chambers. In '83 they eliminated both features, much to the chagrin of Smith lovers everywhere.

P&R guns will bring a premium over later guns, other things being equal.

However, all that being said, A m29 being described as "P but not R" makes no sense to me. M29s were either "P&R" or not. Perhaps the original cylinder was replaced?

A link to the listing might help.

Pete
I have a Model 57 (no dash) that is just the opposite, i.e., it has a recessed cylinder and no pinned barrel. I was the original owner.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by McInnis
I'm looking at an older S&W Model 29 on Guns America, and that's what the description says. What does it mean? Is it a good or bad thing?

Guessing that Kevin or someone out there can help me out.

"Pinned" means that the barrel is pinned in place. You can see the pin up by the barrel in front of the cylinder. This keeps the barrel from turning-a not-unheard-of occurrence. "Recessed" means that the holes in the cylinder are recessed. This supposedly protected the shooter some from gasses from a burst primer, etc. In reality I think they decided it was of little value. So the pinned is probably good and the recessed is neutral to negative (as was said, it makes cleaning more difficult) in the real world. Both are desirable traits to collectors.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Mine is an '84/'85, not pinned or recessed. It has made two trips to the factory for the barrel turning. I'd prefer a pinned version.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The early non-pinned revolvers sometimes had problems with the barrels unscrewing because of the great deal of torque generated with heavy, fast bullets. When those were sent back to the factory, often the fix was to pin the barrel and send it back. The gun in questions could also be a transitional gun.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey McInnis, that 629-2 that is advertised in the link you provided will NOT be either pinned or recessed, as the last 629 to be pinned and recessed was the 629 (with no dash) in 1981. The 629-2 was introduced in 1988. The ad is in error.

As for $715 being a "deal" or not, it seems a tad high on the price. I would be a buyer at $625. On the other hand, they ain't making these any more (S&W revolvers without the confounded lock and cast metal hammers & triggers), and if you've been searching for one for a while and can't find one, then 715 may be an acceptable price to pay.

ken@the river
GO DUCKS!
IC B3

M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks Ken, appreciate the advice. I guess barrels are now threaded into the frame? Would this gun be built during the time frame when there were issues with the barrels working their way loose?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks Ken, appreciate the advice. I guess barrels are now threaded into the frame? Would this gun be built during the time frame when there were issues with the barrels working their way loose?

All barrels are threaded into the frame but they used a looser fit long ago so they pinned them. They were more accurate. The crush fit can squeeze the barrel and make it smaller at the threads. Power lapping is the only way to correct it.
I have heard of S&W .460's dropping the barrels on the ground. I have no idea what they did with this gun?????
It would seem that if they reversed the twist so a barrel would stay tight, it would solve the problem.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by ken458
Hey McInnis, that 629-2 that is advertised in the link you provided will NOT be either pinned or recessed, as the last 629 to be pinned and recessed was the 629 (with no dash) in 1981. The 629-2 was introduced in 1988. The ad is in error.

I would agree with your logic ,HOWEVER, the gun in the photos clearly is pinned.

SOS

There is nothing made by man,
which cannot be broken by woman.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If it's pinned and a -2, then it was surely fixed at the factory.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SavutiOneShot
Originally Posted by ken458

I would agree with your logic ,HOWEVER, the gun in the photos clearly is pinned.

SOS

All the more reason to avoid it! It's been worked on/screwed with, etc.!

ken@the river
GO DUCKS!
M
McInnis Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Hey guys, one more question about older Model 29 revolvers. My understanding is that they used to be made with square frames but now they are round - when did they change?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As near as I can tell it was 1991 with the 29-5 ".44 Classic" but I am far from a 44 expert.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Hey guys, one more question about older Model 29 revolvers. My understanding is that they used to be made with square frames but now they are round - when did they change?
I think the new classic version has a square butt frame like they used to have. Not 100% sure, though.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Smith used to have a mushroom ejector rod(but that cost a little more time to notch the barrel)so they did away with it,same as pining the barrel ! It saved lots of time and money, and the older guns with these none time saving steps creates a market for them!

There is supposed to be a New Issue Mod 14 (Jan 2009) but it will never be the K38 Masterpiece or Mod 14,because like the reissue 1917's it will not be even close to he original!

Bob

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by bobbyjack
Smith used to have a mushroom ejector rod(but that cost a little more time to notch the barrel)so they did away with it,same as pining the barrel ! It saved lots of time and money, and the older guns with these none time saving steps creates a market for them!

There is supposed to be a New Issue Mod 14 (Jan 2009) but it will never be the K38 Masterpiece or Mod 14,because like the reissue 1917's it will not be even close to he original!

Bob

You are correct! The "new" re-issue will have the cast metal hammer & trigger, frame mounted firing pin, and STUPID lock hole in the side! AND, they are normally priced way higher than what an original can be had for!! I honestly don't know how they sell any!!

ken@the river
GO DUCKS!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

208 members (17CalFan, 257_X_50, 260Remguy, 14idaho, 2500HD, 16penny, 33 invisible), 1,941 guests, and 1,128 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,993
Posts18,481,117
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.